Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Greetings!

I'm a long time reader and first time poster. As you can see, my name is Kevin and I'm from Minneapolis. I'm writing in the forums today to ask for some guidance and prayers as I prepare to teach my first confirmation class. The parish I attend has a need for confirmation teachers and I was asked to climb aboard and help. It's hard to say to say no to an offer like this and I was thrilled to have been considered.

Now I come to CM for some guidance with my first class. I'm sure many on this site have taught in a religious fashion. Can those with experience give me some guidance with what to expect, how to connect with the teens, and so forth? I really want to inspire this class and be a part of their journey to heaven. Thank you all in advance.

Blessings,

Kevin

10/01/2012 new

I usually deal with younger kids, but I think one thing to remember with teens (confirmation age) is to avoid talking down to them too much. Plus if they push you on things you don't know, say "I don't know". Don't try to pretend you have all the answers. Kids that age appreciate honesty above all.

10/01/2012 new

Praying Praying rosary rosary

Bless you Kevin, for saying YES to serve Him.

I don't have advise (I teach Catechism to first standards 6-7yr olds) but i will offer prayers for you plus I could share my experience and what I learned from teaching the children- that is to be open to the revelation of the Holy Spirit through the children... Accept the Love of God through them..

Blessings! fluffy wave

10/01/2012 new

(Quote) Kevin-782868 said: Greetings! I'm a long time reader and first time poster. As you can see, my name is Ke...
(Quote) Kevin-782868 said:

Greetings!

I'm a long time reader and first time poster. As you can see, my name is Kevin and I'm from Minneapolis. I'm writing in the forums today to ask for some guidance and prayers as I prepare to teach my first confirmation class. The parish I attend has a need for confirmation teachers and I was asked to climb aboard and help. It's hard to say to say no to an offer like this and I was thrilled to have been considered.

Now I come to CM for some guidance with my first class. I'm sure many on this site have taught in a religious fashion. Can those with experience give me some guidance with what to expect, how to connect with the teens, and so forth? I really want to inspire this class and be a part of their journey to heaven. Thank you all in advance.

Blessings,

Kevin

--hide--
Hi, Kevin -- it's about time you got yourself in here..... laughing

Welcome to the CM forums. You've apparently been browsing for awhile, so you're familiar with what goes on here. Why not join in the fun?

Now for your situation. First of all, set realistic goals -- for the class AND yourself.

Your biggest challenge will be to challenge them. It's been a long time since I taught confirmation classes, but I think many of the key elements haven't changed. Some of the kids will be eager; others--lukewarm; the rest indifferent. This is reality -- nothing is meant to discourage you. You'll pick up on this soon enough.

It's not impossible to get through to them, but it will be a test for you, too. Just be yourself and do your best. The young 'uns will appreciate that.

The best suggestion I can offer is to always be prepared as far as your lessons go. Can't emphasize that enough. They really sense when you're not. If your parish has a set curriculum, that'll make it easier. It helps if you keep them involved, especially with questions that aren't way over their heads, but make them think. If you come up with a list of questions, do your best to be prepared to explain answers to your own questions.

As far as questions they ask, try to answer in terms they can understand. And, yes -- if you don't know the answer, you'll have some homework to do before the next session. You won't be able to cover everything you can think of, but focusing on basics and fundamentals will help them. If it's too lofty, you'll loose them quickly.

There will be others posting -- people who are involved in this ministry or have more recent experience. You'll end up with a variety of suggestions from which to choose.

10/01/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Hi, Kevin -- it's about time you got yourself in here..... Welcome to the CM forums. You...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Hi, Kevin -- it's about time you got yourself in here.....

Welcome to the CM forums. You've apparently been browsing for awhile, so you're familiar with what goes on here. Why not join in the fun?

Now for your situation. First of all, set realistic goals -- for the class AND yourself.

Your biggest challenge will be to challenge them. It's been a long time since I taught confirmation classes, but I think many of the key elements haven't changed. Some of the kids will be eager; others--lukewarm; the rest indifferent. This is reality -- nothing is meant to discourage you. You'll pick up on this soon enough.

It's not impossible to get through to them, but it will be a test for you, too. Just be yourself and do your best. The young 'uns will appreciate that.

The best suggestion I can offer is to always be prepared as far as your lessons go. Can't emphasize that enough. They really sense when you're not. If your parish has a set curriculum, that'll make it easier. It helps if you keep them involved, especially with questions that aren't way over their heads, but make them think. If you come up with a list of questions, do your best to be prepared to explain answers to your own questions.

As far as questions they ask, try to answer in terms they can understand. And, yes -- if you don't know the answer, you'll have some homework to do before the next session. You won't be able to cover everything you can think of, but focusing on basics and fundamentals will help them. If it's too lofty, you'll loose them quickly.

There will be others posting -- people who are involved in this ministry or have more recent experience. You'll end up with a variety of suggestions from which to choose.

--hide--

Congratulations, Jerry, on answering the call to serve. I start my 9th/10th grade class this week. While I have been teaching faith formation for the last 5 years, my only experience is a deep and growing love of the Catholic faith. I have just a couple of tips for you.

1.) Prepare and study your lesson plan. Read the recommended passages from the bible in preparation. Look for areas in your own life that relate. Even though you don't always share them, it puts your heart in a place that is familiar and brings conviction to your lesson.
2.) Pray the Holy Spirit Prayer before you begin. Let Him be your words, thoughts and actions. We are only the vessel. Trust in Him.
3.) Enjoy your class. Each year I think I learn more from them than they do from me. Their experiences and ability to grasp concepts at this age is inspiring. Our Catholic youth are vibrant and excited about their faith. It has been a gift to witness this in my own parish community.
4.) Jolly Ranchers. Everyone likes rewards:)

Good luck and God bless you!

Posts 1 - 5 of 5