Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 3rd 2012 new
(Quote) Patrick-861636 said: Make that a "were"....
(Quote) Patrick-861636 said:

Make that a "were"....
--hide--

Thanks for reminding me....lol
Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--
The young man who is our parish's DRE (Director Religious Education) is a cradle Catholic who married a convert. She is more knowledgeable than most and instructs in natural family planning. They couldn't be a happier couple- they just had their sixth child, so marriage sure works for them!

Oct 3rd 2012 new

tongue Hey there! It's great to see another convert on this site. You are right - there seem to be more life long Catholics than converst, but I guess that's natural.
I know you asked the opinion from "cradle Catholics", but, I thought I would put in my 2 cents as a convert on dating "cradle Catholics"....Although it is nice to be around others who have been Catholic since childhood because they can answer many basic questions and can be encouraging, I have also found that it can be....far different from what I am USED to being around. The few guys I have actually met who are/have always been Catholic seem to be super serious about it. There is a zest, a passion that seems to be missing that I do find in other converts. Sure, the "lifers" seem to KNOW more - they can recite more prayers, tell you when every Holy day is, etc., but the passion for our Church is lacking....If I had a choice with all things being equal, I'd date another convert - we would both be excited about being up at 1:00AM for our time of Eucharistic Adoration. :)

Oct 4th 2012 new
Being a convert myself, I find this to be an interesting discussion. Something I have not seen mentioned is the issue of family. When you marry a person, you marry into that person's family as well. A family of fundamentalist Protestants, or outspoken atheists could be an issue down the road. It could also be a bit of a headache during the holidays. This is one reason I like the idea of a relationship with a cradle Catholic. This will be my first Christmas since my conversion (family is Southern Baptist) and I am already wondering when I am going to go to mass. I will have to absent myself from some traditional family gathering no matter which time I go. It would be convienient to be able to spend the holiday with a significant other and attend Christmas mass as part of her family tradition. I would never make this a criteria for a relationship though.
Oct 4th 2012 new
(Quote) Michael-756537 said: Being a convert myself, I find this to be an interesting discussion. Something I have not seen mentioned is the ...
(Quote) Michael-756537 said: Being a convert myself, I find this to be an interesting discussion. Something I have not seen mentioned is the issue of family. When you marry a person, you marry into that person's family as well. A family of fundamentalist Protestants, or outspoken atheists could be an issue down the road. It could also be a bit of a headache during the holidays. This is one reason I like the idea of a relationship with a cradle Catholic. This will be my first Christmas since my conversion (family is Southern Baptist) and I am already wondering when I am going to go to mass. I will have to absent myself from some traditional family gathering no matter which time I go. It would be convienient to be able to spend the holiday with a significant other and attend Christmas mass as part of her family tradition. I would never make this a criteria for a relationship though.
--hide--

Interesting that you bring this up, Michael. I normally attend the traditional Latin mass. In fact, I am an acolyte, so I am actively participating in the mass on Sunday. At holidays, particularly Christmas, the family traditionally goes to Atlanta, and we all attend my brother's church which is novus ordo. Even though there is nothing technically wrong with novus ordo, it is my preference to attend a Latin mass, and preferably with an FSSP or independent priest. To me, when I attend a novus ordo mass, it "feels" like a different service than I have become accustomed to with the TLM. So sometimes I do not attend mass with the family at holidays, and I drive early on Christmas down to Mableton to the FSSP church there where all masses are in Latin. If I were dating someone who wanted to attend novus ordo mass, I would do it, but I would not want to marry outside of the Church since being Catholic is at the heart of who we are.

So even though we (my family) are all Catholic, it has the feel of worshiping in different places, one novus ordo and the other TLM.
Oct 4th 2012 new
(Quote) Michael-756537 said: Being a convert myself, I find this to be an interesting discussion. Something I have not seen mentioned is the ...
(Quote) Michael-756537 said: Being a convert myself, I find this to be an interesting discussion. Something I have not seen mentioned is the issue of family. When you marry a person, you marry into that person's family as well. A family of fundamentalist Protestants, or outspoken atheists could be an issue down the road. It could also be a bit of a headache during the holidays. This is one reason I like the idea of a relationship with a cradle Catholic. This will be my first Christmas since my conversion (family is Southern Baptist) and I am already wondering when I am going to go to mass. I will have to absent myself from some traditional family gathering no matter which time I go. It would be convienient to be able to spend the holiday with a significant other and attend Christmas mass as part of her family tradition. I would never make this a criteria for a relationship though.
--hide--

I recommend Midnight Mass as there is a very special feeling of just starting the Holiday correctly at that one...
Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

Robyn,

Welcome!!!!! biggrin clap hug rose theheart Welcome to the greatest adventure of your life.

Welcome to the Eucharist, the absolutely greatest gift in the smallest most insignificant package, a white wafer.

Welcome to the Mystical Body where you will discover a quiet comaraderie unlike anything else.

Welcome to the freedom to open your heart, mind, and spirit to experiencing the loving care of Our Blessed Mother, and 1000s of saints who will listen and pray for your every true need.

There will be much rejoicing in heaven when you take on the mantle of the love and cross of Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God.

Put a convert in a room full of cradle catholics, and each of the latter will emerge more blessed and enlightened than before he/she arrived.

If you run into a catholic man who is uncomfortable in the presence of a convert, leave him to his ignorance and mercifully pray for him.

A convert is fresh, full of zeal, faith, and enlightenment, the rest of us tend to get a little to a whole lot stale in our passion for Christ.

I welcome you to your true family with all my heart. You will bless each of us with your presence in the Mystical Body.

hug

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-756537 said: Being a convert myself, I find this to be an interesting discussion. Something I have not seen mention...
--hide--

Think of it this way, Michael, you are being asked to serve our Lord by giving witness to your faith in the simplest of ways. Attending Mass. It may be worrisome to you, but as in almost everything in life, put your worries to rest in the bosum of Christ and walk erect and confident following His Way. He has a remarkable ingenious way of solving every problem you encounter in life. theheart

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Celia-821539 said: Hey there! It's great to see another convert on this site. You are right - there seem to be m...
(Quote) Celia-821539 said:

Hey there! It's great to see another convert on this site. You are right - there seem to be more life long Catholics than converst, but I guess that's natural.
I know you asked the opinion from "cradle Catholics", but, I thought I would put in my 2 cents as a convert on dating "cradle Catholics"....Although it is nice to be around others who have been Catholic since childhood because they can answer many basic questions and can be encouraging, I have also found that it can be....far different from what I am USED to being around. The few guys I have actually met who are/have always been Catholic seem to be super serious about it. There is a zest, a passion that seems to be missing that I do find in other converts. Sure, the "lifers" seem to KNOW more - they can recite more prayers, tell you when every Holy day is, etc., but the passion for our Church is lacking....If I had a choice with all things being equal, I'd date another convert - we would both be excited about being up at 1:00AM for our time of Eucharistic Adoration. :)

--hide--

Well put. Bravo!

theheart

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Patrick-861636 said: We are all converts, it's just that some of us don't remember. I may have been Catholi...
(Quote) Patrick-861636 said:

We are all converts, it's just that some of us don't remember. I may have been Catholic for 35 years, but the early years were mostly involving crayons, the middle were full of selfish pursuits, and only the last few have been sincere. When looking for a match, I didn't care for how far she has already run with Christ, rather how fast her pace was *right now*.
--hide--

As a life long Catholic, thank you, Patrick. Unfortunately, an uncomfortable number of Catholics never seem to reach this third stage. While we pray for vocations, converts, and all sorts of worthy things, we all need to remember our ailing brothers and sisters barely hanging on to their membership in the Mystical Body.

(I seem to be working backwards through these posts.)

Posts 51 - 60 of 111