Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 6th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: This article provides a thorough explanation of the situation: http://www.ewtn.co...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

This article provides a thorough explanation of the situation:

www.ewtn.com

--hide--

Thanks Jerry, for posting the link. I knew there was a reason it never felt right, so I don't use the Orans position during the Our Father when I attend novus ordo mass.
Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Hilda-184281 said: (Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested...
(Quote) Hilda-184281 said:
Quote:
Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. ...

... I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. ...

Robyn

Hi Robyn!

I'm a cradle Catholic, and although I can only share my opinion I believe there are a lot of cradle Catholics that agree with me.

To your question, Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other?, I say certainly NOT; there're probably some that would have that view but I strongly believe they constitute a small and dwindling segment of the whole "cradle catholic" population. What's important to us--well, at least to this "cradle catholic"--is that we share the same Faith, the same precepts, core values & principles, the love and veneration to the Mother of God, Mary most holy!, and that we take the life journey together not lecturing one another or thinking that one is "better catholic" than the other due to their background but understand that we both need to entrust ourselves to Jesus through Mary, who always takes us to Jesus.

To your comment and question, I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. ..., I say that's often true but I wouldn't say that it is statistically true because, a) I don't know of any study (credible or not) that have attempted such "measure", and b) I don't think such measure would be relevant or even important. The fact is that many cradle catholics, in the USA and in the rest of the world, don't know their faith as much as they should, just like many non-catholic christians don't know their faith as they should. Is like Ray said: there've been a lack of adequate catechesis and may people have forgotten what they learned. I'll add that the Clergy (Bishops and priests) at lease here on the US mainland ('cause I grew up in Puerto Rico, that although is part of the USA has it's own Catholic Bishops Conference), have been kind of shy for decades in "telling it like is" from the pulpit (for whatever reason), resulting in people not even receiving good ongoing catechesis every Sunday.

Again, this is my opinion based on my observations and experiences. The important thing is that we all (cradle & convert catholics) need to continually grow in understanding and love of our Faith, and as a whole we are the mystical body of Christ. We need and should help each other to grow in our Faith, in all relationships--friendship, dating, courship, family, community. So don't wory and keep going on your RCIA preparation. Ask the Mother of God to assist you on your journey!

Blessings!!

Hilda
--hide--

I remember my father, who was a member of an organization in our country called "Catholic Faith Defender", told me that when non-Catholics asked me questions about my Catholic faith, I should direct the person to him or any one in the hierarchy that is more knowlegeable about our faith because chances are we might be misquoted or misunderstood. Unlike other denominations, we Catholics receive one universal interpretation about our scriptures and rituals and that comes from the Pope and down the hierarchy. Having the freedom to interprete the Bible is the reason why division happens in the group. We don't have "First" or "Second" or "Third" as a prefix to identify our congregation. My father said that our answers to their questions don't make us a "good' "better" or "best" Catholic, because under the Church that Jesus Christ established upon Peter, the first apostle, there is no good, better, and best among us. We are all one in Christ.

And this happened when my then high school daughter encountered a Protestant classmates who branded her as "bad" because that's what her mother said - that Catholics are bad, and she should not befriend any. My daughter befriended her and asked her what other things did she knew about Catholics. After listening to her issues, my daughter only gave her one answer - "We Catholics are not judgmental. Ask your Mom if she ever heard a Catholic making nasty remarks about your faith." One of the issues is that we don't know our Bible. The answer to this issue is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, where from the beginning to the end every prayer is taken from the Bible; we don't only read it, we express it in our participation in the Mass. One good test how strong a "cradle" Catholic is...try converting one to another religion. He/she may not be able to express verbally his/her faith, just know him/her in his works.

Oct 7th 2012 new

Not a problem for me.

I try to take my cues from Jesus. He was all about including others, not excluding them.

Oct 7th 2012 new

Those of us who are members of 12-step programs hold hands. It's a hold over from our meetings, but translates in church. I have never had someone refuse my hand. In this, I'm not sure it's about what is right or wrong, but what moves us and brings us together as a family in church. heart

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

Robyn, Welcome to CM and the Forum! So, first, congratulation on being in RCIA, I think that is so awesome. Always find it so edifying to watch people go through the process and so beautiful to welcome them into the Church. God bless you in your journey as a candidate and may you feel his many graces when you are brought fully into the Church.

Now on to your questions. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? Yes, I only want to date other cradle catholics, because I like the sound of the phrase "cradle catholic" and it's even more cool to say, we're both cradle catholics. laughing OK. I'm totally kidding, Robyn. In all honesty, I'm fine with dating "converts" and it doesn't matter if she's cradle or a convert. Now that I think about it, I can honestly say I've never thought about cradle vs convert in considering someone I would date; rather my choice has to do with her character and who she is now. In fact, my dad is a convert. He fell in love with the Church while dating my mom and in fact, describes himself as a "Catholic born into a Lutheran family". Now it is interesting you bring up the point of aculturation and now that I think about it, I probably would have more common talking points with a cradle catholic vs a convert, but once again someone being a convert would NOT deter me in the least.

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Those of us who are members of 12-step programs hold hands. It's a hold over from our mee...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Those of us who are members of 12-step programs hold hands. It's a hold over from our meetings, but translates in church. I have never had someone refuse my hand. In this, I'm not sure it's about what is right or wrong, but what moves us and brings us together as a family in church.

--hide--

I have never had someone refuse my hand. -------> Well, always tough to refuse holding hands with a lovely young lady. It would be hard to hold back the, "yeah, baby!". laughing

In this, I'm not sure it's about what is right or wrong, ------> If holding hands with someone like AnneMarie is wrong, then I wouldn't want to be right. eyepopping wide eyed laughing

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

I would go out with someone going though RCIA. I am kind of an apologist, so I would love that opertunity to share my faith. I love Scott Hahns bible studies. GBU on your search.

Oct 7th 2012 new

Hi Everyone.

Robyn

--hide--

I would go out with someone going though RCIA. I am kind of an apologist, so I would love that opertunity to share my faith. I love Scott Hahns bible studies. GBU on your search.

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: This article provides a thorough explanation of the situation: www.ewtn.com.
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

This article provides a thorough explanation of the situation:

www.ewtn.com

--hide--

Here is another article that discusses both hand holding and assuming the orans posture during the Our Father

www.ewtn.com

Oct 7th 2012 new

Reading all the threads in all topics in the forum makes me say that this one character of welcoming anyone to our Faith really makes us real Catholic, as the meaning implies. Catholic means "Universal" therefore no walls divide us; no race, sex, age, culture, distinguish us from the others. I am so glad I am born Catholic and will die Catholic. The most meaningful part of my Faith is the receiving of the host, in the communion, where we eat the body of Christ and drink his blood. Other denominations laugh at this, but I have a simple way of explaining it: We don't laugh at ourselves eating chicken, pork or beef, which has some blood likewise; why and what for do we do this? To nourish our body. If we care enough to nourish our body, why don't we nourish our soul? This one continues to live forever. Now to dissect further the answer, it is not the actual host, nor the wine we drink, it is the belief of what Jesus said, "I am the living bread, and anyone eats it will have eternal life" and what he said to a Samaritan woman when he asked for water. "I have the living water, anyone who drinks of it will have eternal life."

Posts 71 - 80 of 111