Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Wow!!! Thanks everyone for your many warm welcomes into the Catholic Church as well as your thoug...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Wow!!! Thanks everyone for your many warm welcomes into the Catholic Church as well as your thoughtful comments. I'll say more tomorrow when I have more time to respond to specific comments, but for now just wanted to say that I appreciated the enthusiasm. His Peace and Grace to each of you!

--hide--

My brother is a priest in georgia. He is the pastor of Saint Brendan the Navigator church in adlanta. His name is Fr Mathew .

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

Hello Robyn,

I see that this is your second post. To answer your question I am open to marrying a convert as long as he feels strongly about the churches teachings. I know of many cradle Catholics who do not, and even though I love them as my brothers and sisters, I would not give any of them a thought as a prospective marriage mate or consider dating them. Believe or not there are cradle Catholics who could not honestly answer yes to 5 out 7 of the faith questions and who do not embrace the Churches teachings about the sanctity of life. So you see whether they area cradle Catholic or a Convert is not what matters; faithfulness to the churches teachings is important.

Oct 7th 2012 new

You are always so sweet!! Thanks Dan! heart

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--
I always found the ones I've met are a breath of fresh air.They have such enthusiasm and knowledge about the faith. pope theheart The one I met follow the teachings of the Church and weren't 'cafeteria Catholics'.I really enjoy being around them.

Oct 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Donna-521814 said: My brother is a priest in georgia. He is the pastor of Saint Brendan the Navigator church in adlan...
(Quote) Donna-521814 said:

My brother is a priest in georgia. He is the pastor of Saint Brendan the Navigator church in adlanta. His name is Fr Mathew .

--hide--

I attend St Brendan many times when I am visiting my brother who lives in Cumming. It seems to be the closest church to his house and I know my way there down Post Road. I am sure I have been to his masses.

biggrin
Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: Thanks Jerry, for posting the link. I knew there was a reason it never felt right, so I don't ...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:

Thanks Jerry, for posting the link. I knew there was a reason it never felt right, so I don't use the Orans position during the Our Father when I attend novus ordo mass.
--hide--

You brought up a different perspective here mentioning Novus Ordo.. When I see questions like the OP.. I go eyepopping Because it would never occur to me in a million years to disqualify a man because he is a convert.. All I want to know is "Do you attend Mass weekly?" Convert/Cradle has NO impression on me... HOWEVER... I have NO INTEREST in Latin Mass.. It seems to me that if one is committed to the Novus Ordo Mass, dating a strict TLM would be like dating someone from another religion.. Each has their own preference and one of them would have to give up their own preference in order to have a successful relatinship.. I tend to back out of a profile when I see Latin Mass as the preference. It's one of the first things I look at (After I see if he wants to relocate mischievous)

Oct 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: You brought up a different perspective here mentioning Novus Ordo.. When I see questions li...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

You brought up a different perspective here mentioning Novus Ordo.. When I see questions like the OP.. I go Because it would never occur to me in a million years to disqualify a man because he is a convert.. All I want to know is "Do you attend Mass weekly?" Convert/Cradle has NO impression on me... HOWEVER... I have NO INTEREST in Latin Mass.. It seems to me that if one is committed to the Novus Ordo Mass, dating a strict TLM would be like dating someone from another religion.. Each has their own preference and one of them would have to give up their own preference in order to have a successful relatinship.. I tend to back out of a profile when I see Latin Mass as the preference. It's one of the first things I look at (After I see if he wants to relocate )

--hide--

I do attend novus ordo mass whenever I am in a situation where I cannot attend my church because I am with family out of town. However, even before I found the TLM, I was uncomfortable with the changes that came to the mass with holding hands, etc. When I found the TLM, it was like coming home. Everyone is different, and to each his/her own. I do agree that it makes no difference whether my spouse is a cradle Catholic or a convert.

I would relocate for the right person, but not into a big city. I would want to live where I can breathe clean air and not get into traffic every day. I work from home, so living in the country works just fine for me as long as there is phone service and an Internet connection. biggrin
Oct 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Here is another article that discusses both hand holding and assuming the orans posture during t...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Here is another article that discusses both hand holding and assuming the orans posture during the Our Father

www.ewtn.com

--hide--

Thank you Jerry. This reference is very helpful because it puts things in context. What I got from it is that, in the end and in actuality, the USCCB, "in deciding not to prescribe or suggest any particular gesture during the Our Father, did not therefore proscribe any particular gesture either."

And what is the bottom line for me: "The controversy regarding the use of the "orantes" posture for the Our Father appears to be confined to the English-speaking world. In many other places, it is pacifically accepted as an optional gesture which any member of the community is free to perform if so inclined.".

My conclusion: while praying--either at Mass, in a public space, or in private--if the Holy Spirit - "the Lord, the giver of life" - moves me to extend my hands (upward or outward), I do it; if the Holy Spirit moves me to offer my hand while praying the "Our Father" to the total stranger standing next to me at Mass, I do it; and if the Holy Spirit moves me to accept and hold the hand offered by the total stranger standing next to me, while praying the "Our Father", I do it.

Hilda

rose theheart rosary Dove
Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: I totally love converts! They are so awesome. I love to hear their stories of how they came to want...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

I totally love converts! They are so awesome. I love to hear their stories of how they came to want the church. Listen closely and you will always see, hear and feel the Holy Spirit personally coming to someone; calling her, and bringing her to the security, fun, light and love of the church Jesus himself founded. Convert girls rock!

Of course, cradle Catholics have their own conversion stories and have the foundation of a Catholic culture from birth. This gives cradle Catholics a lot in common.

Yet if a cradle Catholic wants to see the riches of the church with fresh eyes he or she can receive wonderful conversion graces anew when with a convert-Catholic. And be a help too. And learn or seek out things he or she should know but never thought about. Converts ask fascinating and insightful questions.

I often think that a convert to the church is an heir to the original converts way, way back. Whereas I, a cradle catholic, am an heir to to an heir to an heir to an heir to an heir stretching back centuries. Is one better than the other? I think not. But a convert can be darn proud of herself. The Holy Spirit called and she answered! Or he. How cool is that?

A really good idea, I believe, for a new Catholic (and for the cradle-folk too) is to read through the catechism. Hardin's is actually a good read. Interesting. I always learn something. We have all read longer and more boring books. Just do twenty minutes a night, or try just twenty minutes, as you might go a good bit longer. And you can look up the answers to questions that occurr. No matter how good your RCIA might be it is still not going to be as thorough as the catechism. It should be the first resource for all of us.

Well, my two cents.

NC Jim

--hide--

Welcome back, Jim! Good to see you, but I am sorry your heart is hurting. Praying hug

Oct 7th 2012 new

Hi Missy. It's good to be back among friends. smile

Posts 81 - 90 of 111