Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Great question! I will be watching this thread!!
(Quote) Helen-450889 said:

Great question! I will be watching this thread!!
--hide--

Helen wave lol Surprised to see me here? I'm surprised to see me here, too!

Re.: chaste company keeping or discerning the possibility of chaste company keeping with converts:
It's ok, in my book. Afterall, many Catholics hardly know the faith.

Oct 9th 2012 new

Hi--first time trying the forums. Was grazing over the thoughts and questions presented here and came upon your concern about converting and then finding acceptance from a match.

Hey, Congratulations on the journey you are taking!! When i go to the Easter Vigil my favorite part is when individuals show such courage, faith and commitment that they take the step into our church. It's beautiful! And on our part who are there, we offer to support the person in their early experience of living the faith. You are welcome to keep in touch with me if you have questions, frustrations, etc. Just like when one gets married, the whole process leading up to the wedding is happy, exciting, loving, and everyone is happy for you, etc. But--after that, when all the excitement is over and ordinary life is in full swing, we deal with the details of daily living, etc. You know what I mean. So later on, please feel free to keep in touch!

As far as dating, I honestly don't know why any guy would hesitate about dating or marrying a convert. Of course, I'm not a guy, so maybe some guy would be able to contribute something else. I know, for myself, that not every person is interested in me as a Catholic--there are so many different experiences that people of both genders have had with the church, and not all of them are positive. That's because the church isn't perfect; no church is. And sometimes, unfortuntely, some people can't get beyond the mistakes our church makes, forgive, and look at the larger picture and how they can be a part of the positivity and fellowship of the Catholic faith. You are becoming a part of a beautiful, enriching faith denomination--I hope that you have a vibrant, involved, and caring parish to belong to!!

Take care--I'm excited for you!
Chris

Oct 9th 2012 new
First time poster; welcome to the forums, Chris. Don't be a stranger.

How are things in Pittsburgh; any sign of snow yet? My Dad was born and raised there.
Oct 9th 2012 new

Hello Robyn,

I can see where this might be a concern for it is similar to moving to a new neighborhood or town where everyone knows everyone else. They have stories and history where you might feel of a different breed. Pardon for the over simplification. I understand for I have a history that is not necessarily typical. I was raised as a cradle catholic and took it for granted. Sometimes you think the grass is greener on the other side. I went on a journey and studied, searched, and studied and lived amongst the communities of other religions. Many, many other religions. My experiences are rich and are forever apart of me. I made this big circle right back to catholithism. A part of my commitment to reconnect with the catholic faith, I attended all sessions of RCIA. I enjoy the bible and a book that helped me with my earlier reconnection with the faith is "The Catholic Church and the Bible" by Rev Peter M.J. Stravinskas. Every person is different and has different life experience along with being at a different place in their spiritual growth but that is what gives us depth which allows for a strong community in the faith. We are strength by our differences. I welcome you as does Christ. I do not feel that it is a matter of being a cradle catholic or a convert as far as developing a dating relationship. It is more of like minded. If you are progressive in developing your faith, you would be more compatable with someone who has your passion for growth whether they are a cradle or convert.

Thank you for inviting me to share my thoughts.

Susan

Oct 9th 2012 new

Hello Robyn,

I can see where this might be a concern for it is similar to moving to a new neighborhood or town where everyone knows everyone else. They have stories and history where you might feel of a different breed. Pardon for the over simplification. I understand for I have a history that is not necessarily typical. I was raised as a cradle catholic and took it for granted. Sometimes you think the grass is greener on the other side. I went on a journey and studied, searched, and studied and lived amongst the communities of other religions. Many, many other religions. My experiences are rich and are forever apart of me. I made this big circle right back to catholithism. A part of my commitment to reconnect with the catholic faith, I attended all sessions of RCIA. I enjoy the bible and a book that helped me with my earlier reconnection with the faith is "The Catholic Church and the Bible" by Rev Peter M.J. Stravinskas. Every person is different and has different life experience along with being at a different place in their spiritual growth but that is what gives us depth which allows for a strong community in the faith. We are strength by our differences. I welcome you as does Christ. I do not feel that it is a matter of being a cradle catholic or a convert as far as developing a dating relationship. It is more of like minded. If you are progressive in developing your faith, you would be more compatable with someone who has your passion for growth whether they are a cradle or convert.

Thank you for inviting me to share my thoughts.

Susan

Oct 10th 2012 new
(Quote) Jim-624621 said: (Quote) Donna-521814 said: My brother is a priest in georgia. He is the pastor of Saint Brenda...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:
Quote:
Donna-521814 said:

My brother is a priest in georgia. He is the pastor of Saint Brendan the Navigator church in adlanta. His name is Fr Mathew .

I attend St Brendan many times when I am visiting my brother who lives in Cumming. It seems to be the closest church to his house and I know my way there down Post Road. I am sure I have been to his masses.

--hide--
Now that's just too cool!!! cool
Oct 10th 2012 new

Excellent photo, Dawn! As a cradle Catholic, I would date anyone who shares the faith - I am even to the point that I would date a man who was Christian but not Catholic. I am called to marriage - and who knows, maybe God wants me to help some wonderful man understand the fullness of Christ by teaching him about our lovely faith. heart

Oct 10th 2012 new
(Quote) Veronica-146135 said: Excellent photo, Dawn! As a cradle Catholic, I would date anyone who shares the faith - I am even to the po...
(Quote) Veronica-146135 said:

Excellent photo, Dawn! As a cradle Catholic, I would date anyone who shares the faith - I am even to the point that I would date a man who was Christian but not Catholic. I am called to marriage - and who knows, maybe God wants me to help some wonderful man understand the fullness of Christ by teaching him about our lovely faith.

--hide--

V-Ron!!! hug wow! Been awhile since I've seen you here, girlfriend! Hope you are well, dear lady. rose thank you for the compliment.
Oct 11th 2012 new
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

Upon my annulment, I would absolutely date a convert.
Oct 11th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: You are an inspiration. It's human nature to value something we worked hard to a...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

You are an inspiration. It's human nature to value something we worked hard to attain and take for granted something we've always had.

There, of course, plenty of exceptions all the way around. Many cradle Catholics are devout, loving people and shining examples of the faith full of an inexhaustable zeal. Some converts are lackluster or hesitant wonder whether they made the right decision. I taught RCIA for several years. Some converts became active leaders in parish activities. Some just chugged along. Others decided to leave when the aslightest little thing happened that they didn't like.

The one aspect of this topic which appalls me, is a rare but strident mindset among certain cradle Catholics that converts are somehow not genuine. I had a few aunts from the old country who felt this way. They thought converts should not be allowed to become ordained or to enter religious life. I'd ask her what about the Apostles? They were all converts. So is our Blessed Mother. Fortunately very few Catholics hold this opinion. As the years go by, fewer still. It seems to be a holdover from a different time and place.

--hide--

Stating that The Blessed Mother of God is a convert would not be my understanding.

In the liturgy the Church salutes Mary of Nazareth as the Church's own
beginning,3 for in the event of the Immaculate Conception the
Church sees projected, and anticipated in her most noble member, the saving
grace of Easter. And above all, in the Incarnation she encounters Christ and
Mary indissolubly joined: he who is the Church's Lord and Head and she who,
uttering the first fiat of the New Covenant, prefigures the Church's condition
as spouse and mother.
www.vatican.va

Our Blessed Mother Mary is the beginning of the Catholic Church. Jesus and Mary are indissolubly joined.
Given the above, wouldn't stating Mary is a convert be the same as stating Jesus is a convert?

Posts 91 - 100 of 111