Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Abstinence

Oct 3rd 2012 new

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

Oct 3rd 2012 new

You're not the only one my whole family does this as well :D

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! I just wanted to put something out there and see...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said:

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

--hide--

The reason years ago the abstienance of meat on Fridays was because people sacrificed their money and gave it to the poor who had less. It is not just to abstain from meat. Just to astain because it's Fridays means nothing to me. Rituals mean nothing unless there is an understanding behind them and using it as a prayer.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! I just wanted to put something out there and see...

--hide--

If they are Catholic, you can explain to them that the universal law of the Church still requires abstaining from meat (or some other food, as determined by the conference of bishops) on all Fridays that are not Solemnities (can. 1250, 1251). Can. 1253 gives the local conference of bishops the authority to substitute some other form of penance in place of abstinence, an option the USCCB has availed itself of. So you can also ask them what penitential acts they perform on Fridays in lieu of abstaining from meat.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: If they are Catholic, you can explain to them that the universal law of the Church still ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

If they are Catholic, you can explain to them that the universal law of the Church still requires abstaining from meat (or some other food, as determined by the conference of bishops) on all Fridays that are not Solemnities (can. 1250, 1251). Can. 1253 gives the local conference of bishops the authority to substitute some other form of penance in place of abstinence, an option the USCCB has availed itself of. So you can also ask them what penitential acts they perform on Fridays in lieu of abstaining from meat.

--hide--
Very true. The concept of penance was not abolished when the Church rule concerning abstaining from meat on Fridays was lifted. It simply meant that we were given a choice of penance to be performed on Fridays. A reminder might be a wake-up call for your friends -- if nothing else, to have them learn the facts about this.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

So every now an then i try to abstain on Fridays, but usually fail. I think that it's a great witness.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

--hide--
First of all, make sure you read Jerry's post. Some form of penance is still required, although it doesn't necessarily mean abstaining from meat on Friday. What was changed was that we were given options to choose what type of penance we would perform.

If you see Mary's post, you'll note there was a meaning behind the abstinence rule. Your practice is a good one, but perhaps a little better understanding of the old rule would be helpful reinforcement for you. As Catholics, we should not be afraid to show signs of our Faith. Personally, I cringe when I see countless numbers of people ordering hamburgers at fast food places during Lent. At least SOME of them must be Catholics. There aren't as many places that advertise Lenten specials as had been the case several years ago. It's unfortunate this practice was abandoned. I believe it's Burger King that has a special on fish sandwiches during Lent, plus a handful of other restaurants, but, all-in-all, not many. This would be a good practice for them to resurrect. Perhaps a good pre- Lenten project would be to contact restaurant managers or owners about this. Some of this can be done online with the major chains.

This can be an opportunity to set your friends straight and help them learn something about the Church.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-61677 said: So every now an then i try to abstain on Fridays, but usually fail. I think that it's a great w...
(Quote) Matt-61677 said:

So every now an then i try to abstain on Fridays, but usually fail. I think that it's a great witness.

--hide--
Matt -- don't feel you've "failed", if you've substituted another form of penance for abstaining on Friday. Or, if you want to be more consistent, find some way to remind yourself that "it's Friday -- penance day" and go from there.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

Matt

What you're doing is very good. Although I'm not a Traditional Catholic, I am rather conservative and orthodox in my approach to observing the precepts of our faith. After hearing and reading quite a bit about abstainance on Fridays. I began this practice as well. t's brought some great benefits and blessings and hasn't been a hardship.

Most people are too busy doing what they do to even notice that we're abstaining. Seven years ago, I quit drinking alcohol and when I join my old drinking buddies in a bar or at a party, they don't even notice I'm not drinking. Our receptionist gave me "that look" when I refused a slice of sausage which the firm had purchased as a treat one Friday. She asked if I was a vegetarian and I told her I wasn't esating meat because it was Friday. It took a second for the dime to drop, thewn she said "But it's not Lent." I explained that I like to abstain on Fridays throughout the year. She and I are both old enough to remember when this was a general requirement.

Oct 3rd 2012 new
I was at a local Taco Mayo on a Friday & attempted to order a meatless meal. I thought it would be a simple task. They had Cheese Quesadilla's listed on their menu, and refried beans. The clerk argued with me they only had been or Chicken on the Quesadilla's even though the menu on the wall was clear about Cheese being an option. Then when my beans came out they had chili sauce on theme so I had to request a different serving of food. I ended up feeling badly because it did attract attention. I called the district manager & explained my problem, she thanked me for letting her know. Turns out she was Catholic & did understand. She is well aware that Catholics tend to be a minority in my area & she really wants to educate her staff about being helpful to special needs. She ended up sending me vouchers for my next visit to Taco Mayo....So I think my point is ---don't be afraid to make your needs known when it comes to practicing your faith. Sometimes it is a good thing to be in the role of education.... shhh
Posts 1 - 10 of 104