Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said:So you ate tofu and beans? This would be good for one...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:So you ate tofu and beans? This would be good for one's circulatory system

Oh we could talk about that for a long time, but no, I know the body does not need the extra protein, I
go with mostly vegetables and whatever else is on the menu lot of non meat pasta and soup if I am cooking.
I did not do it last year as a couple friends just did not want to cook their usual food if I was abstaining-
they asked me to give up something else so I did

--hide--

Yes would you care to explain? I have learned that many foods do have protein. So you left out tofu and beans as well..hmmm

Oct 4th 2012 new

That's actually pretty ironic. In the middle ages people gave up meat, dairy, eggs and fish for Lent and fasted everyday except Sunday (They were pretty medieval back then) So how could anyone possible survive the grueling work of farming on such a diet? Beer! beer beer beer biggrin Liquids were never abstained from! And the beer back then was lower alchohol content and very rich (liquid bread.)

Daniel-634934 said:

I agree with Matt. What you are doing is a great witness. This brings to mind a scenario when I was in my 20's. I was dating a non-Catholic, and she gave me grief because I did not "give anything up" for Lent. I tried without success to explain that Lent was about choosing a personal form of penance, but since her Aunt and Uncle gave up beer every Lent, she was right and I was wrong.

Oct 4th 2012 new

Does anyone else here get a strange vibe/look/etc. whenever they see a new physician and they happen to mention to the doctor that they are chaste? For some reason, even if you're a woman who dresses modestly, a doctor only sees you for 2 seconds for the first time and you get the feeling from them you need to add, "No, that wasn't P.C. code for 'I'm not seeing anyone at the moment'." I have had only one doctor who didn't give me that vibe, but eventhough he was a partier (I think he was hung over the first time I saw him, and turns out he was coming from his buddy holiday from Cancun and arrived back that same morning...lol) he comes from a culture that respects women, where they are actually respected for being (chaste) ladies.

Oct 4th 2012 new

OK. Since we're talking about abstinence from food, the Church has always taught through it's letters and documents, especially from Popes and Doctors of the Church, that it is particularly efficacious. Abstaining from certain types of food or drink, especially those that are most agreeable, is a direct way to fight and help conquer (mild or otherwise) concupiscence.

Oct 4th 2012 new
(Quote) Lynea-297530 said: Does anyone else here get a strange vibe/look/etc. whenever they see a new physician and they happen to mention...
(Quote) Lynea-297530 said:

Does anyone else here get a strange vibe/look/etc. whenever they see a new physician and they happen to mention to the doctor that they are chaste? For some reason, even if you're a woman who dresses modestly, a doctor only sees you for 2 seconds for the first time and you get the feeling from them you need to add, "No, that wasn't P.C. code for 'I'm not seeing anyone at the moment'." I have had only one doctor who didn't give me that vibe, but eventhough he was a partier (I think he was hung over the first time I saw him, and turns out he was coming from his buddy holiday from Cancun and arrived back that same morning...lol) he comes from a culture that respects women, where they are actually respected for being (chaste) ladies.

--hide--

In all the years of going to my doctor, it has not been discussed, not even with my urologist. Is that strange? He knows that I am single, yet he never asked if I was or was not chaste. Maybe its different for men? I don't know how you ladies go to men doctors. I had to go to a female doctor once, and that made me very uncomfortable. None of the questions that the doctors ask for new patients includes anything about chastity either. Does that mean it doesn't matter unless you go in and complain about an issue in that area?
Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: The reason the Church instituted abstaining from meat on Fridays is because Chri...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said:

The reason the Church instituted abstaining from meat on Fridays is because Christ died on Good Friday. It is a sign of respect, the abstinence from flesh on the day that Christ sacrificed His for us.

--hide--

I have disagree with you, unless you can prove this in Church teaching. You may choose to do that for this reason and that is your choice and your sacrifice but that is not the reason.

Oct 4th 2012 new

doctors routinely ask patients if they are "sexually active". i've never heard one use the word "chaste".

mine asks me this question during every annual physical. so did the one i had before him. they need to know - because if someone answers yes, it opens up a whole new examination protocol.

moreover, physisicans would be remiss to the point of malpractice if they didn't ask their patient this question during every physical or when sexual activity may have some bearing on a certain condition. so never assume that by asking the question your doctor doubts your morals or is insulting you or thinks you may be a hoochie.

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: (Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! ...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Quote:
Matt-849404 said:

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

Don't feel too out of place. Just try living with a vegetarian for a while! Now that is really weird.

Many may not know that the early Church fasted every Wednesday and Friday. During the Middle Ages, that decreased to fasting every Friday, and all of Advent, Lent, and Ember Days. Somewhere in there we lost Wednesdays, Advent and Ember Days. Then after Vatican II, Friday fasts were thrown out and Lenten fasts reduced to just Fridays in Lent instead of all Lent, plus Ash Wed and Good Fri. Another fast we've forgotten is the fast from midnight until communion on Sunday. When my folks were growing up they had last call for drinks just before midnight in Catholic towns because anyone going to communion the next day had to stop drinking at midnight on Saturday....like cinderella. Perhaps, that is where the fairy tale had its origen? That was reduced to 3 hours and then 1 hour after VII, so that now there is essentially no fast except you have to finish breakfast 15 minutes before you leave for Mass and can't eat during the service...although I saw gum chewing last sunday. But, I digress.

People also forget that fasting often included fasting from sex in the olden days. Made Lent rather long, I gather!

Anyway, don't feel bad about keeping up an old tradition. You are setting a good example for the rest of us.

--hide--

Yes, you so right, that is how I was taught and practiced when I was little, from the time I received First Holy Communion.

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have learned that many foods do have protein. So you left out tofu and beans as well..hmmm
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have learned that many foods do have protein. So you left out tofu and beans as well..hmmm
--hide--

I did not intentionally leave out the tofu and beans
I only eat tofu when someone else gets it for me- like in the soup
beans are eaten when I have Mexican during lent since they are "included"

We can only use about the equivalent of 3oz of meat in protein a day
and can do fine on no protein for a couple months
most foods have protein, just not as balanced protein as meat does.
Anyway I need to decide what I will give up next lent- I may well be in the
Bay Area again and I know I do not want to deprive my hosts of seafood :o()

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said:doctorsaskif they are "sexually active". thinks you may be a hoochie.
(Quote) David-364112 said:doctorsaskif they are "sexually active". thinks you may be a hoochie.
--hide--

Unfortunately they have to act as if
everyone is given the culture we live within...

I have knowlege of several teen virgins asked to submit to a pregnancy test-
bad idea, good medicine, (does not pass the sniff test)

Posts 41 - 50 of 104