Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: Unfortunately they have to act as ifeveryone is given the culture we live within...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

Unfortunately they have to act as if
everyone is given the culture we live within...

I have knowlege of several teen virgins asked to submit to a pregnancy test-
bad idea, good medicine, (does not pass the sniff test)

--hide--

whatever the culture we live in, such a step is, sadly, absolutely necessary. having to do that is bad, but we should never take it personally - even when it's our own daughter.

it's not that the doctor thinks poorly of the person being examined but absolutely needs confirmation of the person's status as a matter of professional duty. it's an essential part of the standard of care and medical protocol. as laymen (i.e. not doctors), we think of such an action as a moral judgment on a person; but a medical professional sees it as a crucial fork in the road for prescribing what sort of medical care is in order.

physicians are used to being lied to. many a self-proclaimed "virgin" or "chaste woman" has turned out to be lying to the doctor for whatever reason(s). (same with the self-proclaimed "chaste men" for that matter.) the doctor must know if a patient is pregnant before prescribing certain medications or ordering certain tests such as an xray. to do otherwise could kill/injure that patient or her unborn child. hence the precaution of ordering such a test.

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have learned that many foods do have protein. So you ...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said: I have learned that many foods do have protein. So you left out tofu and beans as well..hmmm

I did not intentionally leave out the tofu and beans
I only eat tofu when someone else gets it for me- like in the soup
beans are eaten when I have Mexican during lent since they are "included"

We can only use about the equivalent of 3oz of meat in protein a day
and can do fine on no protein for a couple months
most foods have protein, just not as balanced protein as meat does.
Anyway I need to decide what I will give up next lent- I may well be in the
Bay Area again and I know I do not want to deprive my hosts of seafood :o()

--hide--

oh for pete's sake. we can do without protein for one day. Chef

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: (Quote) Lynea-297530 said: Does anyone else here get a strange vibe/look/etc. whene...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:
Quote:
Lynea-297530 said:

Does anyone else here get a strange vibe/look/etc. whenever they see a new physician and they happen to mention to the doctor that they are chaste? For some reason, even if you're a woman who dresses modestly, a doctor only sees you for 2 seconds for the first time and you get the feeling from them you need to add, "No, that wasn't P.C. code for 'I'm not seeing anyone at the moment'." I have had only one doctor who didn't give me that vibe, but eventhough he was a partier (I think he was hung over the first time I saw him, and turns out he was coming from his buddy holiday from Cancun and arrived back that same morning...lol) he comes from a culture that respects women, where they are actually respected for being (chaste) ladies.

In all the years of going to my doctor, it has not been discussed, not even with my urologist. Is that strange? He knows that I am single, yet he never asked if I was or was not chaste. Maybe its different for men? I don't know how you ladies go to men doctors. I had to go to a female doctor once, and that made me very uncomfortable. None of the questions that the doctors ask for new patients includes anything about chastity either. Does that mean it doesn't matter unless you go in and complain about an issue in that area?
--hide--

They don't use the word "chastity" or "chaste" But they do ask a woman if she is sexually active and how many partners she is with, and does she know them. They may figure a man will mention any issues, worries, changes or pain. I have heard a young doctor mention the word "virginal". I had a female doctor actually respond with something like "good for you" when I said "no I am not with anyone." A good doctor should ask men and women. I would think a doctor woul think it is part of their responsibility to do that. I don't know how we tolerate going to male doctors either. Some of us have had some bad experiences in the doctor's office with male doctors.

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) John-842063 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I hav...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
John-842063 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said: I have learned that many foods do have protein. So you left out tofu and beans as well..hmmm

I did not intentionally leave out the tofu and beans
I only eat tofu when someone else gets it for me- like in the soup
beans are eaten when I have Mexican during lent since they are "included"

We can only use about the equivalent of 3oz of meat in protein a day
and can do fine on no protein for a couple months
most foods have protein, just not as balanced protein as meat does.
Anyway I need to decide what I will give up next lent- I may well be in the
Bay Area again and I know I do not want to deprive my hosts of seafood :o()

oh for pete's sake. we can do without protein for one day.

--hide--

Whats wrong with you David? Are you trying to get a reaction out of me?

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Whats wrong with you David? Are you trying to get a reaction out of me?
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

no. not at all marian. why would i?

i just don't see what's the fuss. if we abstain one day a week, whether we take protein or not, it won't cause a health problem.

those with medical conditions which prohibit fasting or abstinence are exempt from this proscription, but they should nevertheless be advised to perform some other mortification such as no TV or internet or radio in the car, etc.

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: doctors routinely ask patients if they are "sexually active". i've never heard one ...

doctors routinely ask patients if they are "sexually active". i've never heard one use the word "chaste".

mine asks me this question during every annual physical. so did the one i had before him. they need to know - because if someone answers yes, it opens up a whole new examination protocol.

moreover, physisicans would be remiss to the point of malpractice if they didn't ask their patient this question during every physical or when sexual activity may have some bearing on a certain condition. so never assume that by asking the question your doctor doubts your morals or is insulting you or thinks you may be a hoochie.

--hide--

All true. It is their responsibility and they have to include it. They ask if you are sexually active not if you are chaste.

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Whats wrong with you David?
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Whats wrong with you David?

--hide--

well OK since you asked. but put on the coffee and sit down. this will take a good long while to explain. wink

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Whats wrong with you David? Are you try...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

no. not at all marian. why would i?

i just don't see what's the fuss. if we abstain one day a week, whether we take protein or not, it won't cause a health problem.

those with medical conditions which prohibit fasting or abstinence are exempt from this proscription, but they should nevertheless be advised to perform some other mortification such as no TV or internet or radio in the car, etc.

--hide--

Did I fuss? Why would you?

First of all----- did I fuss?

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Whats wrong with you David?

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Whats wrong with you David?

well OK since you asked. but put on the coffee and sit down. this will take a good long while to explain.

--hide--

I don't drink coffee. Fire away whatever your issue is.

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Lynea-297530 said: Does anyone else here get a strange vibe/look/etc. whenever they see a new physician and they hap...
(Quote) Lynea-297530 said:

Does anyone else here get a strange vibe/look/etc. whenever they see a new physician and they happen to mention to the doctor that they are chaste? For some reason, even if you're a woman who dresses modestly, a doctor only sees you for 2 seconds for the first time and you get the feeling from them you need to add, "No, that wasn't P.C. code for 'I'm not seeing anyone at the moment'." I have had only one doctor who didn't give me that vibe, but eventhough he was a partier (I think he was hung over the first time I saw him, and turns out he was coming from his buddy holiday from Cancun and arrived back that same morning...lol) he comes from a culture that respects women, where they are actually respected for being (chaste) ladies.

--hide--

Many Doctors are notoriously liberal in sexual matters unless you bump into one or two here or there. (OH OH is this becoming a chastity thread?) woops...
In any case, Most hear all sorts of things and treat all sorts of STD's and so on. I can't imagine the word chaste coming up in a doctors office. But I would have to look up the exact meaning I guess.

Posts 51 - 60 of 104