Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

10/06/2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Mary, this is the reason. The Catholic Church does not make rules based on economical circumstances such ...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Mary, this is the reason. The Catholic Church does not make rules based on economical circumstances such as a percentage of people not having enough to eat. And if that were the case, why only meat, and why on Friday? It is all about the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. That is why fish and seafood is allowed, because there is no blood in the "meat".
--hide--

The old testament also states, "blunt offerings and sacrifices I seek not but a humble and contrite heart I will not spurn." Matt, I do not think there is anything wrong with not eating meat on Friday but what I do not like to see when people use this as being a better Catholics because they do. (Please know I am not referring to you.) Throughout the old and new testament The Lord talks about not boasting about the sacrifice we do but rather clean your face, comb your hair and not to let everyone know but rather by your actions and by the amount of love and compassion you show, is what will please His heart. Sometimes it is a greater sacrifice not to state a word to someone in anger or slander or the like then deny ourselves a certain food because it is such and such a day. Yes they are all good but one preference over another does not make one a better Catholic or a "holier" person.

Example - one may not eat meat on a Friday and yet go out to dinner and be rude to the waitress for whatever error she did in the order. Where does the sacrifice of not eating meat on Friday, become the sacrifice? Rather holding one's tongue and smiling and say thank you takes a lot more of the act of the will then saying, may I have lobster or catfish or a cheese sandwich with a salad.

10/06/2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Mary, this is the reason. The Catholic Church does not make rules based on economical circumstances such ...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Mary, this is the reason. The Catholic Church does not make rules based on economical circumstances such as a percentage of people not having enough to eat. And if that were the case, why only meat, and why on Friday? It is all about the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. That is why fish and seafood is allowed, because there is no blood in the "meat".
--hide--

Matt, This is the best I could find on the reason we abstain from meat on Fridays. Scroll down to "Days of abstinence". www.newadvent.org

10/08/2012 new

I have friends that do this on wednesday and Sundays as well. I haven't found anyone that just doesn't eat meat on Fridays.... however, kudos for you on this. Since fridays are an easy EAT out or celebration day....... it is a sacrifice in my opinion.

pretty cool....

10/08/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Oops. Meant to say that it's my understanding that the fasting requirement has not been lifte...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Oops. Meant to say that it's my understanding that the fasting requirement has not been lifted, it's just not enforced or emphasized in the USA. That's sad. Regular penitential practices assist us in our growth.

--hide--

Two priests ago (that's only three years in our parish---we are lucky to get them more than a year, but that's a different issue), we were informed in a homily of the penance requirement (which I already knew of). There were audible gasps. It is NOT enforced nor is there much education on the matter. I choose to abstain often, but sometimes, because I eat in a group after football games, its just not going to be possible without offending a host, in which case I usually don't eat after dinner Thursday night until evening meal (after the game) on Friday to observe a fast as a penance, or I have other practices as well. But yes, its NOT commonly known. . .

10/08/2012 new

I was surprised too when I first heard it on Catholic radio. So I did some research and realized the requirement probably hadn't been lifted and began the new Friday regimen. I have to admit that I really like it.

10/08/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Oops. Meant to say that it's my understanding that the fasting requirement has not been lifte...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Oops. Meant to say that it's my understanding that the fasting requirement has not been lifted, it's just not enforced or emphasized in the USA. That's sad. Regular penitential practices assist us in our growth.

--hide--

Fasting or abstinence? Under present law, fasting is required on only two days: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Abstaining from meat is required every Friday during Lent; in the United States (elsewhere the rules may differ), some form of penance is required all other Fridays of the year: abstinence in suitable (unless, of course, it isn't actually penitential for the individual), but is not required.

For those who don't find abstaining from meat to be penitential, on days when abstinence is mandatory it would certainly be meritous to add another form of penance; however, you can't substitute another form of penance and eat meat without dispensation from a priest.

There are exclusions to both fasting and abstinence based on both age and other factors. For details of both the current and traditional (1962) disciplines, see catholocity.net

10/08/2012 new

I was raised abstaining from meat on Friday's during Lent. It's something that I've done my best to practice as an adult as well, but mostly during Lent. I've had people ask me about it before, most are pretty understanding. And a few look at you, as you say "Like you have lobsters crawling out your ears!" I even have a few Catholic friends that don't abstain from meat & really feel unconcerned about it. I think it's great that you abstain & I wish more young Catholics would as well. Your conviction to abstain every Friday is inspiring!

10/08/2012 new

We follow this traditional rule of abstinence in our house, as well. Although I must say that we attempt to make the penance of abstinence and fasting extend to a deeper level than just "not eating meat." The corresponding alms giving or other works of mercy are an important part of this Friday rule.

Christina

10/08/2012 new
(Quote) Christina-816969 said: We follow this traditional rule of abstinence in our house, as well. Although I must say that we attempt to...
(Quote) Christina-816969 said:

We follow this traditional rule of abstinence in our house, as well. Although I must say that we attempt to make the penance of abstinence and fasting extend to a deeper level than just "not eating meat." The corresponding alms giving or other works of mercy are an important part of this Friday rule.

Christina

--hide--

Christina, that's right. And abstaining from meat isn't about eating lobster and other expensive sea foods either. It's more of a tunafish, catfish or peanut butter and jelly kind of thing. That is penance, not a 2 pound lobster.
10/08/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: (Quote) Christina-816969 said: We follow this traditional rule of abstinence in our...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:
Quote:
Christina-816969 said:

Christina

Christina, that's right. And abstaining from meat isn't about eating lobster and other expensive sea foods either. It's more of a tunafish, catfish or peanut butter and jelly kind of thing. That is penance, not a 2 pound lobster.
--hide--

Very good posts, both!

Posts 71 - 80 of 104