Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

10/04/2012 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: Being a conservative, I always like to turn to the mass media channels to "listen&qu...
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

Being a conservative, I always like to turn to the mass media channels to "listen" to the descriptions they paint to form an argument. One thing was apparent last night before all the hatchet fact checkers and pollsters have their say. The anchors from NBC, CBS, and even George Stephapartisan from ABC said Obama did not have a strong debate. Not surprising. Obama spent the first 15 minutes with pre-canned campaign soundbites about a $5 Trillion Romney tax cut, only to turn around at every corner and say he didn't have any specifics about Romney's plan. Epic fail on team Obama's part. So, like everything else that's sprung forth from the left, where are you getting your information and who are you trying to convince? Obviously, only those who don't know how to read a financial statement. But for me, and as you stated, the debate was won and lost on one aspect. Obama was scribbling like a mad man trying to prepare a framed response for everything, and rarely looking at Romney, while Romney spent 90% of the time staring the president right in the eye and had his game plan ready to attack. I think I only counted 4 times where Romney even jotted "anything" down. But you can see where the arrogance is lost on Obama without his teleprompters. I'm sure his crack team of preparers highlighted this during the 3 day sequester, but Obama, to my recollection, only started one reply beginning a sentence with the word "Look..." I'll have to go through the transcripts to see if I missed any more, but that form of reply has become the trademark sign of Obama's arrogance throughout his presidency that just makes my teeth grind. And since that point, everyone in the mainstream media is seems has copied that mannerism, and to anyone who considers themselves intellectual, it's a complete turn off.

--hide--

Chris Matthew's meltdown, making Obama's arguments for him!!!
www.youtube.com

10/04/2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: So, did anyone see Valerie Jarrett sitting in the front next to Michelle Obama? I hones...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

So, did anyone see Valerie Jarrett sitting in the front next to Michelle Obama? I honestly believe that Obama is not running the government - he is merely the spokesman - in - chief for Valerie Jarrett (at least that's what I've read and heard), et al. And, without her telling him what to say and his teleprompter, Obama was absolutely lost. This is actually frightenening, because if any true crisis happened and Valerie Jarrett, et. al were unavailable, who knows what Obama would do - he is clearly incompetent!

And, being a former teacher (before I became a physician), my grade for the debate for Romney is an A (he would have gotten A+ if there were a couple more good zingers) and for Obama is a D+ (I rarely failed anyone). Would anyone else here care to grade the contenders?

--hide--

I have always felt he was an installed puppet! He was voted in because the country got brainwashed into thinking how great to vote in the
first black president. Just look at the stats on why people voted for him. No matter what his views or politics are, they were overlooked as they
are even now.

10/04/2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: I have always felt he was an installed puppet! He was voted in because the country got...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

I have always felt he was an installed puppet! He was voted in because the country got brainwashed into thinking how great to vote in the
first black president. Just look at the stats on why people voted for him. No matter what his views or politics are, they were overlooked as they
are even now.

--hide--

Patricia, Oops didn't see your other comment about the puppet...we agree:)

10/04/2012 new
(Quote) Craig-388270 said: Bring on Biden. Ryan debating Biden will look like a celebrity roast <...
(Quote) Craig-388270 said: Bring on Biden.

Ryan debating Biden

will look like a celebrity roast

without the profanity.
--hide--

laughing I like that! I can't wait.
10/04/2012 new

Gerald,
I'm with you. clap At the end of that debate, I sighed, saying to my Aunt, "There's hope!". Romney displayed nerves of "carbon fiber" i.e. strong and resilient. He LISTENED to each and every word of the President and RESPONDED succintly, accurately (per the intent) and most-of-all, in a Leadership-style. I'd trust him with meeting today's world leaders. I'd trust him in addressing a mature, conscientious, God-fearing, individual citizen's freedoms as understood within the good of a larger citizenship base. His closing? So very true, it's not about him, it's about the future of our freedoms, of our country. And my friends in Europe look to us, for that understanding. Praying

10/04/2012 new

Jim, Great you-tube posting! :D

10/04/2012 new

Thank you Gerald, I learned quite a bit from your post!

Cat

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: (Quote) Cat-163322 said: Anyone else think it is strange and narcissistic...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Quote:
Cat-163322 said:

Anyone else think it is strange and narcissistic to hear Obama refer to the "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act," or the "Healthcare for America Plan" as "Obamacare"? Is that the official name of this plan/act?

Cat

I think it is the "Affordable Care and Patient Protection Act," but since it is neither affordable nor affords patients any protection, Conservatives do not like to use the 1984-style spin title given it by the Democrat Comgress. Since it is one of the most unpopular pieces of legislation passed in the last generation, labeling it as "Obamacare" seems to do no harm.

I agree though, it is a little un-nerving to see the President so happy with the title. As if it were his idea. "Pelosicare" or "Pelosi-Reed-Obamacare" would be more appropriate. But this President is obsessed with his legacy. Try massive unemployment, disregard for the Constitution and dead ambassadors along with doubling the national debt in 4 years...that's enough legacy for anyone.

Reminding people about it reminds us that Obama's signature piece of legislation:
1. Was not his creation, yet he loves to glory in it.
2. Was passed in a totally partisan fashion, without acquiring even one Republican vote
3. And actually takes $700 billion from Medicare to pay for it, in addition to something like 17 other taxes that clamp in over the next several years, including the Mandate.

I thought Romney did a pretty good job of calling Obama out on the differences. Most importantly to me were the lack of bipartisanship in the passing of Obamacare, and the fact that it is a States Rights issue. Romney actually turned the topic to his own advantage, because Romneycare was Bipartisan, and responded to the needs of a leftist State. I'm not sure I bought his claim that it reduced costs...would have to look at that one more closely. But, clearly, Romney is not going to try to impose from the Federal level something that belongs at the state level. The Tenth Amendment will survive under him.

--hide--

10/05/2012 new
(Quote) ED-20630 said: I was quite impressed with the way that Romney presented himself. I thought that he did really well compared to Ob...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I was quite impressed with the way that Romney presented himself. I thought that he did really well compared to Obama. Of course, I have never like Obama anyway. I don't think that either one of them make a major gaffe that you will see repeated in the news.

I thought that this was a very good substantive debate, really covering the important issues of domestic policy.... perhaps one of the best for presidential debates.

I have been comparing the after-debate coverage between CNN and FOX. Of all the CNN and FOX (in-house) commentators, every single one of them thought that Romney clearly won the debate. Also, many were saying that it looked like Romney wanted to be there and Obama clearly did not want to be there.

Romney looked very much at ease during the whole debate, and very personal (as opposed to kind of distant or robotic as he has sometimes appeared). He really had a command of the facts and details that he presented.

I noticed that Romney was often making eye contact with Obama when Obama was speaking. In contrast, Obama was often looking down at the podium and pursing his lips when Romney was speaking. That didn't look good to me.

This was definitely the best showing by Romney in a debate. Two thumbs up!!

Ed

--hide--

I thought Mr. Romney looked confident. At first when I noted that President Obama was looking down a good number of times, I thought that it made him appear submissive or disinterested, but I think that he was probably reading ahead and mentally preparing.

I am glad that Mr. Romney was fully prepared to address the incorrect information being said about him, and that he responded without appearing angry. I thought that Obama often looked peeved at what Romney said.

As a "spin room" commentator said "the president was busy all day being the president....but Rommney looked more refreshed having done nothing all day before the debate." Kind of a childish statement, I think.

It did appear that President Obama did focus more on details this election, in comparison to the 2008 debates....when all I heard was "change, change, change.....but he never addressed exactly what those changes would be. The platform was all too vague.
10/05/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: (Quote) Craig-388270 said: Bring on Biden. Ryan debating Biden ...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said:
Quote:
Craig-388270 said: Bring on Biden.

Ryan debating Biden

will look like a celebrity roast

without the profanity.

I like that! I can't wait.
--hide--

YES when is it? hyper

10/05/2012 new
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Victor-544727 said: (Quote) Cat-163322 said: <...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
Victor-544727 said:

Quote:
Cat-163322 said:

Anyone else think it is strange and narcissistic to hear Obama refer to the "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act," or the "Healthcare for America Plan" as "Obamacare"? Is that the official name of this plan/act?

Cat

... is the "official" title of the Obamacare law.

In Newsweek's article, "Why Obama Must Go", Niall Ferguson said, "A much more accurate term would be 'Pelosicare," since it was she who really forced the bill through Congress."

btw: I don't think "Obamacare" is the official name.

HURT: Obama the debater: Making Jimmy Carter look awesome

"Party like its 1980!

Bewildered and lost without his teleprompter, President Obama flailed all around the debate stage last night. He was stuttering, nervous and petulant. It was like he had been called in front of the principal after goofing around for four years and blowing off all his homework.

Not since Jimmy Carter faced Ronald Reagan has the U.S. presidency been so embarrassingly represented in public. Actually, thats an insult to Jimmy Carter."

Read more//www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/3/hurt-obama-debater-making-jimmy-carter-look-awesom/?page=1#ixzz28IhtwCbI
--hide--
More examples of Obama without his teleprompter. Scary!

Obama lost without a teleprompter - www.youtube.com

Obama tells teleprompter to speed up - www.youtube.com

1/26/10 Obama even needs teleprompter to address sixth grade class laughing laughing eyepopping www.youtube.com
Posts 61 - 70 of 150