Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Substitutes For Parties

Oct 6th 2012 new

If it were easy for Catholic Match or some of its members to organize frequent parties near you and if it were not difficult for a lot of members to attend those events, you'd have a convenient way to get a quick, face-to-face impression of a lot of people with almost no preliminary effort such as reading profiles, perusing the fora and exchanging emails. Catholic Match does have its advantages, such as large numbers of coreligionists, but cannot produce regular parties all over the place.

There is probably no plan that can compete with parties in allowing you to meet a lot of people face to face in a short period of time, but if you are someone who likes to meet face-to-face very early on, have you developed any strategies that partially substitute for the absence of frequent, local parties? If so, what are your party alternatives for increasing the number of brief, introductory meetings you will have with other members of Catholic Match? scratchchin

Not welcoming replies that suggest substituting dictators for parties, eyebrow

John

Oct 6th 2012 new
(Quote) John-184825 said: If it were easy for Catholic Match or some of its members to organize frequent parties near you and if it were n...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

If it were easy for Catholic Match or some of its members to organize frequent parties near you and if it were not difficult for a lot of members to attend those events, you'd have a convenient way to get a quick, face-to-face impression of a lot of people with almost no preliminary effort such as reading profiles, perusing the fora and exchanging emails. Catholic Match does have its advantages, such as large numbers of coreligionists, but cannot produce regular parties all over the place.

There is probably no plan that can compete with parties in allowing you to meet a lot of people face to face in a short period of time, but if you are someone who likes to meet face-to-face very early on, have you developed any strategies that partially substitute for the absence of frequent, local parties? If so, what are your party alternatives for increasing the number of brief, introductory meetings you will have with other members of Catholic Match?

Not welcoming replies that suggest substituting dictators for parties,

John

--hide--

John,

I had this idea earlier this year - Fun For Catholics 40 and Over

The age range can be whatever the Organizer and/or group wants. Its the name of a group I set up on Meetup.com to organize events for Catholics in my area. Unfortunately, I do not have time to be the Organizer, i.e., the person who heads up the group and initially sets up events on the calendar. Eventually, Assistant Organizers help out with the ideas and the scheduling.

Oh, this is what I am talking about: www.meetup.com

Events would include parties at homes, church events, hikes, going out for ice cream or for dinner, going to the local museum - for icons, for modern art, etc.

I'm putting this out there because the group still needs an Organizer. If anyone wants to borrow my template, I would be glad to transfer it to others. It can be used in NY, CA, MA, wherever.

If anyone is interested, just give me a shout.

Besides this John, I haven't come across other ways to get together with folks for gatherings to get to know others.

Kathleen
Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-878558 said: John, I had this idea earlier this year - Fun For Catholics 40 and Over
(Quote) Kathleen-878558 said:

John,

I had this idea earlier this year - Fun For Catholics 40 and Over

The age range can be whatever the Organizer and/or group wants. Its the name of a group I set up on Meetup.com to organize events for Catholics in my area. Unfortunately, I do not have time to be the Organizer, i.e., the person who heads up the group and initially sets up events on the calendar. Eventually, Assistant Organizers help out with the ideas and the scheduling.

Oh, this is what I am talking about: www.meetup.com

Events would include parties at homes, church events, hikes, going out for ice cream or for dinner, going to the local museum - for icons, for modern art, etc.

I'm putting this out there because the group still needs an Organizer. If anyone wants to borrow my template, I would be glad to transfer it to others. It can be used in NY, CA, MA, wherever.

If anyone is interested, just give me a shout.

Besides this John, I haven't come across other ways to get together with folks for gatherings to get to know others.

Kathleen
--hide--
Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your reply. I commend you on making the effort to get things going. It is hard for someone outside of a major metropolitan area to attract enough people for an event. I looked at the website you developed and will keep it in mind as a helpful resource.

In my topic I had not actually been thinking about group events that might be substitutes for parties even though parties are, of course, group activities. The topic concentrated on the get-a-quick-face-to-face-impression-of-many-others aspect of parties and the kind of answers I expected were some of the following where groups were not required.

"I'd include in my profile that I would like to meet a lot people in my area quickly for a 'brief hello' visit to give each other a face-to-face impression without a lot of preliminary communication."

"If another member made any kind of exclusive (non-fora) Catholic-Match contact (view, emotigram, email, chat request) with me, I'd include in my reply that I'm the kind of person who prefers an early 'brief hello' visit if the other person has a similar preference in this regard."

Of course these two-person meetings will never provide the number of quick, face-to-face impressions that parties do, but my intent was to find ways to increase the number of quick, face-to-face impressions for members who live where parties and other group activities happen rarely or never.

I guess that you could sum up the general idea by saying that any member who prefers early contact should be sure to make that desire known loudly and clearly as a way to reduce the doubts and hesitation of any other member who'd like to meet.

Doing my part to reduce meetless diets in CM, cool

John

Oct 6th 2012 new

What about skype - I do not much about it, but how do you make the best use of skype.

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-251045 said: What about skype - I do not much about it, but how do you make the best use of skype.
(Quote) Mary-251045 said:

What about skype - I do not much about it, but how do you make the best use of skype.

--hide--
Not being the skype type I skipped its mentioned, but skype types oft visit here and so the hype on skype should be coming down the pipe soon. cool

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-251045 said: What about skype - I do not much about it, but how do you make the best use of skype.
(Quote) Mary-251045 said:

--hide--

New years eve a group of five of us living in five different states, friends who met in the CM forums, had a NYE party via Skype. One of us (myself) had to be the host, and "call" the others into the group. While a live get-together would have been much more enjoyable, it still was fun to chat that way with friends, on a night when none of us were planning on going out to do anything else.

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: Not being the skype type I skipped its mentioned, but skype types oft visit here and so the hype o...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

Not being the skype type I skipped its mentioned, but skype types oft visit here and so the hype on skype should be coming down the pipe soon.

--hide--
fine

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: New years eve a group of five of us living in five different states, friends who met in ...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

New years eve a group of five of us living in five different states, friends who met in the CM forums, had a NYE party via Skype. One of us (myself) had to be the host, and "call" the others into the group. While a live get-together would have been much more enjoyable, it still was fun to chat that way with friends, on a night when none of us were planning on going out to do anything else.

--hide--

That sounds like an activity that could be doable on a fairly regular basis with CMers, and meet a fairly large number of people in a short period of time. Those who skip Skype might change their stripe and try the hype--could be they'd be the type ripe for the hip trip. And not even have to leave their home.

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: That sounds like an activity that could be doable on a fairly regular basis with CMers, and me...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

That sounds like an activity that could be doable on a fairly regular basis with CMers, and meet a fairly large number of people in a short period of time. Those who skip Skype might change their stripe and try the hype--could be they'd be the type ripe for the hip trip. And not even have to leave their home.

--hide--
Good points, but since I have a pint of skypey peanut butter, I'm doing ok even if nobody has a crunch on me.

Oct 7th 2012 new

Others may be bashful to being identified as in search for a spouse. How about wearing a green ribbon or any agreed color while attending church events such as bazars and others. Seeing the ribbon will tell the other who also wears a ribbon that he/she is a CM member and in search of a spouse. There would be lots of exposure if one up-dates bazar schedules in neighboring parishes and go there.

Posts 1 - 10 of 39