Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 7th 2012 new

After my first husband passed away there was a local Catholic Singles group. I believe you paid a yearly dues of $25 for mailing etc. They sent a news letter out every month. They had an activity planned every weekend. Sometimes it was a house party, dinner and dancing, plays , maybe just dinner and a movie or whatever they come up they thought the group would enjoy. Sometimes the party host furnished everything and other times it was pot luck. You didn't have to host if you didn't want to. Occasionally they would plan a weekend get away. It was not for dating per say it was just a large group of people getting together and having fun. I would say the age range was 30's to 60's.

Since I lived on a farm I had a fall party and had a hay-rack ride (you city people probably never heard of that).

Oct 7th 2012 new

[quote]John-184825 said:

It is hard for someone outside of a major metropolitan area to attract enough people for an event.

I think its also hard for someone inside a major metropolitan area to attract enough people for an event. I've checked the CM events page often and haven't seen any CM events here in the NYC area. That greatly suprizes me. And before anyone makes the suggestion, I also have no time to plan an event.

Oct 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Others may be bashful to being identified as in search for a spouse. How about wearing a green ribbon or ...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

Others may be bashful to being identified as in search for a spouse. How about wearing a green ribbon or any agreed color while attending church events such as bazars and others. Seeing the ribbon will tell the other who also wears a ribbon that he/she is a CM member and in search of a spouse. There would be lots of exposure if one up-dates bazar schedules in neighboring parishes and go there.

--hide--
Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Others may be bashful to being identified as in search for a spouse. How about wearing a gre...

Others may be bashful to being identified as in search for a spouse. How about wearing a green ribbon or any agreed color while attending church events such as bazars and others. Seeing the ribbon will tell the other who also wears a ribbon that he/she is a CM member and in search of a spouse. There would be lots of exposure if one up-dates bazar schedules in neighboring parishes and go there.

--hide--
sorry, this has made me laugh - or perhaps they might think it is St Patrick's Day

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Others may be bashful to being identified as in search for a spouse. How about wearing a gre...

--hide--
Hi Liberacion,

Thanks for your comment, which is original as far as I know. As you suggest, many people would be too shy to try this, but, the absence of a wedding ring is a very common sign that suggest availability and your idea is similar to that while also being more direct and "loud".

John

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: After my first husband passed away there was a local Catholic Singles group. I believe you paid ...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

After my first husband passed away there was a local Catholic Singles group. I believe you paid a yearly dues of $25 for mailing etc. They sent a news letter out every month. They had an activity planned every weekend. Sometimes it was a house party, dinner and dancing, plays , maybe just dinner and a movie or whatever they come up they thought the group would enjoy. Sometimes the party host furnished everything and other times it was pot luck. You didn't have to host if you didn't want to. Occasionally they would plan a weekend get away. It was not for dating per say it was just a large group of people getting together and having fun. I would say the age range was 30's to 60's.

Since I lived on a farm I had a fall party and had a hay-rack ride (you city people probably never heard of that).

--hide--
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your contribution. It would be helpful if there were more church sponsored activities for Catholic singles over forty. Could you elaborate on how this group was started, who ran it, how it advertised itself, how many people showed up at events, whether events were all held at the same place and so on? scratchchin

John

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-251045 said: sorry, this has made me laugh - or perhaps they might think it is St Patrick's Day
(Quote) Mary-251045 said:

sorry, this has made me laugh - or perhaps they might think it is St Patrick's Day

--hide--
Note, you did not read further, I wrote green or other agreed color, nevertheless, green is okay if it can catch attention, at least someone would approach and asked "Is it St. Patrick's Day? This could spark a new friendship.... who knows.

Oct 8th 2012 new

It had been going for a while when I joined so I am not real sure how it got started. They had a meeting once a month and anyone who was a member could attend, and they would plan the next months activities. If anyone wanted to host a get together, they would give the group the date they wanted to do it. At Christmas they would do a progressive dinner which was a lot of fun and everyone dressed up. If you were not interested in the activity they had planned for any particular weekend you just didn't attend. There were never less than 20 people and sometimes there could be up to around 50. If we were going out of town, we would meet at the Holiday Inn parking lot and car pool in groups.

It was in all of the church bulletins every week. I will tell you some more of activities we did: inside horse betting tract, outside theatre (summertime), there was always dinner somewhere before the activity unless it was a house party. this group liked to dance and we went to this one club in Springfield a lot, it was so long ago I forget a lot.

I remember the first time I went I was so nervous. I walked into the restaurant not knowing anyone in the group, but I had a good time, and went to many of the events. My sons literally pushed me out the door as I sort of became a recluse after my husband died.

My suggestion would be maybe talk to your local priest and see if they think something like this could work. There are 5 different Catholic Churches in the town where I live. The group was made of professionals and just ordinary people. There was some coupling within the group, but they had met there. It was a very fun group and nobody had to set home alone on a Saturday night if they didn't want to. If you were dating outside of the group they were welcome too. If it was a house party, you were asked to tell the host or hostess if you would be attending so they would know how much food to prepare unless of course it was potluck.

Every member got a news letter every month. It would tell you the time and place for the events that month.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: (Quote) John-184825 said: It is hard for someone outside of a major me...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

[quote]John-184825 said:

It is hard for someone outside of a major metropolitan area to attract enough people for an event.

I think its also hard for someone inside a major metropolitan area to attract enough people for an event. I've checked the CM events page often and haven't seen any CM events here in the NYC area. That greatly suprizes me. And before anyone makes the suggestion, I also have no time to plan an event.

--hide--
Hi Josephine,

Yes, it is also "hard for someone inside a major metropolitan area to attract enough people for an event", but easier because at least enough people are nearby. One thing that you might not have thought about is that, if you are already doing something anyway such as taking regular long walks through the city or going to craft fairs in the summer, you could welcome other members of Catholic Match to join you. Such an "event" requires almost no planning, time, expense or effort, but still opens up the possibility of meeting people face-to-face. cool

John

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: It had been going for a while when I joined so I am not real sure how it got started. They had a...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

It had been going for a while when I joined so I am not real sure how it got started. They had a meeting once a month and anyone who was a member could attend, and they would plan the next months activities. If anyone wanted to host a get together, they would give the group the date they wanted to do it. At Christmas they would do a progressive dinner which was a lot of fun and everyone dressed up. If you were not interested in the activity they had planned for any particular weekend you just didn't attend. There were never less than 20 people and sometimes there could be up to around 50. If we were going out of town, we would meet at the Holiday Inn parking lot and car pool in groups.

It was in all of the church bulletins every week. I will tell you some more of activities we did: inside horse betting tract, outside theatre (summertime), there was always dinner somewhere before the activity unless it was a house party. this group liked to dance and we went to this one club in Springfield a lot, it was so long ago I forget a lot.

I remember the first time I went I was so nervous. I walked into the restaurant not knowing anyone in the group, but I had a good time, and went to many of the events. My sons literally pushed me out the door as I sort of became a recluse after my husband died.

My suggestion would be maybe talk to your local priest and see if they think something like this could work. There are 5 different Catholic Churches in the town where I live. The group was made of professionals and just ordinary people. There was some coupling within the group, but they had met there. It was a very fun group and nobody had to set home alone on a Saturday night if they didn't want to. If you were dating outside of the group they were welcome too. If it was a house party, you were asked to tell the host or hostess if you would be attending so they would know how much food to prepare unless of course it was potluck.

Every member got a news letter every month. It would tell you the time and place for the events that month.

--hide--
My parish takes care of the "seniors". Aside from coffee and doughnuts after Sunday morning masses, we have movies, ballroom dancing, shrines pilgrimages, bazars, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year parties, etc... Here we have the chance to meet people in our age group.

Posts 11 - 20 of 39