Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 9th 2012 new

that would be a good way to get acquainted with people in your church. i don't like to say this, but the people where i go really are not all that friendly. it seems as they just come to mass and then leave there is very little mingling. it is a big parish, and if you don't have kids in school you are kind of left out in the cold. they call occasionally and want me to fix food for funerals and that is about it.

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: It had been going for a while when I joined so I am not real sure how it got started. They had a...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

It had been going for a while when I joined so I am not real sure how it got started. They had a meeting once a month and anyone who was a member could attend, and they would plan the next months activities. If anyone wanted to host a get together, they would give the group the date they wanted to do it. At Christmas they would do a progressive dinner which was a lot of fun and everyone dressed up. If you were not interested in the activity they had planned for any particular weekend you just didn't attend. There were never less than 20 people and sometimes there could be up to around 50. If we were going out of town, we would meet at the Holiday Inn parking lot and car pool in groups.

It was in all of the church bulletins every week. I will tell you some more of activities we did: inside horse betting tract, outside theatre (summertime), there was always dinner somewhere before the activity unless it was a house party. this group liked to dance and we went to this one club in Springfield a lot, it was so long ago I forget a lot.

I remember the first time I went I was so nervous. I walked into the restaurant not knowing anyone in the group, but I had a good time, and went to many of the events. My sons literally pushed me out the door as I sort of became a recluse after my husband died.

My suggestion would be maybe talk to your local priest and see if they think something like this could work. There are 5 different Catholic Churches in the town where I live. The group was made of professionals and just ordinary people. There was some coupling within the group, but they had met there. It was a very fun group and nobody had to set home alone on a Saturday night if they didn't want to. If you were dating outside of the group they were welcome too. If it was a house party, you were asked to tell the host or hostess if you would be attending so they would know how much food to prepare unless of course it was potluck.

Every member got a news letter every month. It would tell you the time and place for the events that month.

--hide--
Thanks for all of those details.

Oct 10th 2012 new

Your welcome John

Oct 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: That sounds like an activity that could be doable on a fairly regular basis with CMers, and me...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

That sounds like an activity that could be doable on a fairly regular basis with CMers, and meet a fairly large number of people in a short period of time. Those who skip Skype might change their stripe and try the hype--could be they'd be the type ripe for the hip trip. And not even have to leave their home.

--hide--
I wonder whether there are any substitutes for pretties? Did someone just say that was, "pretty lame"? I was thinking, "pretty dame"! mischievous shhh

Oct 11th 2012 new

lol

Oct 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: lol
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

lol

--hide--
Well, some blokes and dames are lame and to name the blame would be to say, "Bad knees, orthopedic disease and other woes such as these" boggled .

Oct 12th 2012 new

Not to mention fleas.

Oct 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Not to mention fleas.
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Not to mention fleas.

--hide--
No worries. With the cold weather so near, I have plenty of anti-fleas!

Just think. If fleas flew and fled into this space, we'd have to rename the place, "Catholic Scratch".

Asking to be excused to catch a few scatches, eyepopping

John

Oct 19th 2012 new

This substitutes-for-a-party question is worded in a way that addresses women, but men who want to answer it can reverse the gender words and reply as if they were asked the question by a woman.

Assume that a man told you that he had noticed that there were no frequent Catholic Match parties or equivalent events near him where he could meet a lot of woman in an easy, get-a-general-impression way. Assume also that he told you that he had not been able to think of anything that could match the ability of a party to provide an opportunity to meet a large number of people, but that the best substitute that came to mind was simply to contact a lot of women by email to ask out those willing to meet for a quick-impression coffee. After his mentioning this plan of his, would you have a brief meeting with him if he met enough of your preferences? scratchchin

Mixing and matching, cool

John

Oct 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: This substitutes-for-a-party question is worded in a way that addresses women, but men who want to...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

This substitutes-for-a-party question is worded in a way that addresses women, but men who want to answer it can reverse the gender words and reply as if they were asked the question by a woman.

Assume that a man told you that he had noticed that there were no frequent Catholic Match parties or equivalent events near him where he could meet a lot of woman in an easy, get-a-general-impression way. Assume also that he told you that he had not been able to think of anything that could match the ability of a party to provide an opportunity to meet a large number of people, but that the best substitute that came to mind was simply to contact a lot of women by email to ask out those willing to meet for a quick-impression coffee. After his mentioning this plan of his, would you have a brief meeting with him if he met enough of your preferences?

Mixing and matching,

John

--hide--
Gee. Frankly, I would prefer not to be told outright that his coffee invitation was part of a wide fishing process. Intellectually, I can understand the intention, but emotionally, I would feel minimized as an individual and pressured as on a job interview. Somehow, I can envision a party thrown where a lot of people get together "to have fun and meet people" makes the difference, even though the same process would be occurring there as on the coffee dates. However, I don't care much for parties, unless I'm the one throwing one--because then I have a role of setting out food and stacking chairs and making sure everyone is set; I'm not sitting impotent in a crowd. That's an uncomfortable feeling for me.

Posts 21 - 30 of 39