Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

10/07/2012 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: (Quote) Melanie-894195 said: I'm attending the wedding of a family frien...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

Quote:
Melanie-894195 said:

I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, seeing what I pray for happening for someone else. I work hard to focus on the joy of the couple, praying for their love for each other to grow and deepen & for them to place the Lord first in their marriage. I listen for my favorite songs on the dance floor. Today, I especially am looking forward to dancing with my dad, he's a hoot! And the people watching is always great fun!!

What do you do when you're attending a wedding to "cope"?

How do I "cope" while attending a wedding? Well, I stuff my feelings during the wedding and then drink myself into a blackout during the reception. OK, so I'm kidding.

I tend to try and focus on the couple getting married and praying for them, which you alluded to. I also find hope in the wedding to think that it could possibly be me up there one day in the future. Like you mentioned as well, I try and have a good time at the reception and get out on the dance floor and dance. If there are any single ladies there, then a good hunk of time is spent on conjuring up the guts to ask them to dance. *l* As with anything, the more time spent on praying for others, generally helps to cure time spent thinking about oneself. God bless you in your time at the wedding, Melanie.

--hide--

Good reminders.

10/07/2012 new

(Quote) Melanie-894195 said: Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone! My parents & I had a wonderful time - even g...
(Quote) Melanie-894195 said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone! My parents & I had a wonderful time - even got my mom on the dance floor to "Love Shack" - victory! It was a wonderful time, being able to pray for the couple & visit with family friends. Plus the food was fantastic!

May all our wedding guest experiences be as positive in the future!

--hide--

I am so glad it was so much fun! Good that you could be there with your parents!!!

10/07/2012 new

Just wondering how you got thru the wedding yesterday? A wedding is a celebrating of telling others that (if catholic) they have worked hard by going thru the processes of the church which is a testimonial that they are dedicating themselves to a new life together.

So a wedding is alot of work to get to. What you see is hardwork, lots of money spent, and putting on a happy face under the lights of camera, in-laws, attendants, writing checks for the services involved. Its not glamorous behind the scenes, there is alot of fuss going.

10/08/2012 new

(Quote) Melanie-894195 said: I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, s...

I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, seeing what I pray for happening for someone else. I work hard to focus on the joy of the couple, praying for their love for each other to grow and deepen & for them to place the Lord first in their marriage. I listen for my favorite songs on the dance floor. Today, I especially am looking forward to dancing with my dad, he's a hoot! And the people watching is always great fun!!

--hide--

i feel your pain, but weddings are causes for celebration and envy is a serious sin which destroys grace and it best avoided. weddings are good places tgo meet single men so don't bring a stand-in date.

10/08/2012 new

[quote]Dan-656122 said:

How do I "cope" while attending a wedding? Well, I stuff my feelings during the wedding and then drink myself into a blackout during the reception. OK, so I'm kidding.

YOU"RE REALLY KIDDING DAN??? Thats a great idea.

Seriously Melanie, I've been there many many many times. What's worst is being asked to be in the wedding party of younger couples. I have made the decision that I will have to decline any future bridemaid invitations.

I have a large extended family. Last year at this time, the last of my first cousins got married. I thought "whew, its over". Well guess what? My cousin's CHILDREN are now starting to get engaged and HERE WE GO AGAIN and this time it's worse.

All I can say is I agree with one responder who said focus on and celebrate the beautiful sacrament of marriage for your loved ones. It's hard not to be envious, but remember their happiness doesn't take anything away from you. God sees what's in our hearts and we are where God wants us to be. Focus on that- WE ARE WHERE GOD WANTS US TO BE. And pray pray pray. Be happy at the wedding because you don't know who you're going to meet there. And please don't tackle anyone to catch the bouquet.

10/08/2012 new

(Quote) Melanie-894195 said: I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, s...

--hide--
There may be a natural tendency for a single person to at least feel a bit uncomfortable at a wedding. But....we have to back up the bus and realize that the wedding is about someone else--NOT US!!! A wedding is cause for celebration and the day belongs to the couple getting married. It's their special day, and they should be honored. Love for our friends or relatives is not jealous or envious. David touched upon this. If we're focusing upon ourselves (and our self-inflicted misery), we're detracting from the celebration. The feeling that it's an ordeal, something else to cope with, a burden should be shelved. Perhaps if someone is feeling that badly about going, the answer might be to stay away.

As far as bring in a "stand-in" date, there's another line of thinking. It's not unusual for us, sometimes in our lives, to be without a genuine date. We end up asking a friend to accompany us (if a guest invitee is included). This can be done with the understanding that if there's a person of interest, let the pursuit begin. That doesn't mean leaving your original date stranded, but it can mean meeting other people, and possibly that "special person" whom you can get together with at another time.

Even coming alone to a wedding need not be an awkward situation. In this day and age, it's becomming more common. Maybe it's a good time to savor the freedom you have.

You can't control the circumstances -- only your attitude toward them.

10/08/2012 new

(Quote) Melanie-894195 said: Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone! My parents & I had a wonderful time - even g...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone! My parents & I had a wonderful time - even got my mom on the dance floor to "Love Shack" - victory! It was a wonderful time, being able to pray for the couple & visit with family friends. Plus the food was fantastic!

May all our wedding guest experiences be as positive in the future!

--hide--

Sorry. Didn't notice the wedding was yesterday and didn't read your update Melanie. Did you meet anyone?

I hope you didn't tackle anyone for the bouquet.

10/08/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: There may be a natural tendency for a single person to at least feel a bit uncomfortable at a weddi...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

There may be a natural tendency for a single person to at least feel a bit uncomfortable at a wedding. But....we have to back up the bus and realize that the wedding is about someone else--NOT US!!! A wedding is cause for celebration and the day belongs to the couple getting married. It's their special day, and they should be honored. Love for our friends or relatives is not jealous or envious. David touched upon this. If we're focusing upon ourselves (and our self-inflicted misery), we're detracting from the celebration. The feeling that it's an ordeal, something else to cope with, a burden should be shelved. Perhaps if someone is feeling that badly about going, the answer might be to stay away.

As far as bring in a "stand-in" date, there's another line of thinking. It's not unusual for us, sometimes in our lives, to be without a genuine date. We end up asking a friend to accompany us (if a guest invitee is included). This can be done with the understanding that if there's a person of interest, let the pursuit begin. That doesn't mean leaving your original date stranded, but it can mean meeting other people, and possibly that "special person" whom you can get together with at another time.

Even coming alone to a wedding need not be an awkward situation. In this day and age, it's becomming more common. Maybe it's a good time to savor the freedom you have.

You can't control the circumstances -- only your attitude toward them.

--hide--

I went to a wedding of a dear friend and single people were not invited with a guest. I was pretty much the only one without a date. It was the worst wedding I ever attended because of that.

10/08/2012 new

It is hard going to a wedding by yourself. I recently experienced this. Luckily for me my friends were also attending the wedding. I was however, the only single one. I tried to concentrate on the wedding couple and tried to just be thankful for the company of my friends. They are funny and when we get together we laugh a lot and this was the case at the wedding. I never stay for the dance. So after the dinner and speeches I left. I thought as I was driving home......yeahhhhh I made it through another wedding. LOL

10/09/2012 new

No, no tackling!! We left before all that stuff, I wouldn't have chased it anyway! Several starry-eyed college-aged girls there ;0)

Didn't meet anyone either, but I wasn't looking - it was fun just enjoying the atmosphere, the friends gathered, and time with my parents.

Posts 11 - 20 of 24