Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: SSPX thinks the tail wags the dog, that the vatican will have to come around to THEIR way of ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

SSPX thinks the tail wags the dog, that the vatican will have to come around to THEIR way of seeing things. thankfully, the holy see just gave the leash a short sharp tug. let those overweening dissenters know who's boss.

enough of their unchecked nonsense. enough of their vile anti-semitism. time to take the pride down a notch and do what they're told.

you'd think they'd understand what an opportunity they're being given. if they can't get their way with benedict, do they think the next pope will be more sympathetic?

--hide--

I'll be the last one to defend the SSPX, but to my knowledge neither the organization nor the majority of its members (remember, only priests are members of the society) are anti-semitic. Bp. Williamson is a notable exception, but I've seen no indication the leadership stands with him on this; in fact, a month or so ago there were numerous reports that his expulsion from the society may be coming.

Oct 9th 2012 new

tossing silly willy the dishy bishy overboard would be a big step in the right direction.

i won't debate you on the rabid hatred of the jews. i've seen and heard it consistently from trads since the 1970's. not all, but enough of them. there is no place in catholicism for such a vile sentiment. none.

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: tossing silly willy the dishy bishy overboard would be a big step in the right direction. <...

tossing silly willy the dishy bishy overboard would be a big step in the right direction.

i won't debate you on the rabid hatred of the jews. i've seen and heard it consistently from trads since the 1970's. not all, but enough of them. there is no place in catholicism for such a vile sentiment. none.

--hide--

Please be careful how you refer to bishops and priests!  Regardless of his personal opinions, Bp. Williamson is still an ordained priest and due the respect of that state.

Sadly, many traditionalists express many hateful opinions on many subjects. It is precisely this that convinced me that the SSPX position is wrong (know the tree by its fruits...) That being said, the actions of the laity alone are not enough to attribute those opinions to the Society -- they often concoct this stuff on their own.

Oct 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Please be careful how you refer to bishops and priests! Regardless of his personal opinions, Bp. ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Please be careful how you refer to bishops and priests! Regardless of his personal opinions, Bp. Williamson is still an ordained priest and due the respect of that state.

Sadly, many traditionalists express many hateful opinions on many subjects. It is precisely this that convinced me that the SSPX position is wrong (know the tree by its fruits...) That being said, the actions of the laity alone are not enough to attribute those opinions to the Society -- they often concoct this stuff on their own.

--hide--

i'll try to be less disrespectful, but bishop williamson's pronouncements never cease to astound me. how could anyone be so brazenly wrong-headed? he actually delivered a sermon from the pulpit during a high mass claiming that the US government (with help from the israelis) carried out the 9/11 attacks! IMO, that's even worse than any of the so-called "clown masses" the SSPX howls about.

as thw SSPX rank and file, it saddens me that devout and faithful people would allow themselves to get trapped in this cul-de-sac of self-imposed isolation, bitterness, resentment, paranoia, and alienation. devout and faithful people should be like leaven within the church instead of off to the side and huddled together in bitterness.

i keep saying this. the TLM is a beautiful thing. the highest form of Catholic worship. if the people who promote the TLM were more welcoming and Christ-like, there would be standing room only at the latin masses. instead, curious visitors are met with such suspicion, neglect, and even hostility and end up they leaving in disgust.

Oct 10th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: SSPX thinks the tail wags the dog, that the vatican will have to come around to THEI...

SSPX thinks the tail wags the dog, that the vatican will have to come around to THEIR way of seeing things. thankfully, the holy see just gave the leash a short sharp tug. let those overweening dissenters know who's boss.

enough of their unchecked nonsense. enough of their vile anti-semitism. time to take the pride down a notch and do what they're told.

you'd think they'd understand what an opportunity they're being given. if they can't get their way with benedict, do they think the next pope will be more sympathetic?

--hide--
David, to your knowledge is SSPX affiliated in any way with the traditionalist church supported by Mel Gibson?

I think it probably stands alone: www.people.com

Oct 13th 2012 new
(Quote) Peter-449116 said: David, to your knowledge is SSPX affiliated in any way with the traditionalist church supported by Mel Gibson?<...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

David, to your knowledge is SSPX affiliated in any way with the traditionalist church supported by Mel Gibson?

I think it probably stands alone: www.people.com

--hide--

I believe Mel Gibson is a sedavacantist, so I don't think so.
Posts 11 - 16 of 16