Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

10/11/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The problem -- well, one of the problems -- is that more often than not the people you...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The problem -- well, one of the problems -- is that more often than not the people you're razzing are those who are promoting virtue, not trumpeting their own virtue. Two very different things. Sadly, even when you have valid points to make they're often lost amidst the bitter, caustic tone and demeaning, inflammatory rhetoric.

You'd be doing yourself and the rest of us a favor if you'd join a gym and vent your frustrations on a punching bag instead of the forum participants.

--hide--

hug Thanks for being there for me Jerry! Oh what would I do without my forum Dutch Uncle?!?!? heart

10/11/2012 new
(Quote) Zoe-337980 said: Paul, may I ask you a question? (I am going to assume your answer is yes.) Would you give me the recipe? yum, ...
(Quote) Zoe-337980 said:

Paul, may I ask you a question? (I am going to assume your answer is yes.) Would you give me the recipe? yum, yum!!

--hide--

Zoe, as per your request, here it is. Hope you like it!

Paul's "Thai Peanut Dipping Sauce" (for spring/summer rolls.)

1 1/2 C. Water

1 C. Soy Sauce

3 T. Sugar

2 T. Mirin

2 T. Rice vinegar

1 3/4 T. Fish Sauce

4 T. Crunchy Peanut Butter

1 1/2 T. Ground Ginger (plus or minus)

1/4 C.Orange Juice

2 T. Dry Basil

3/4 T. Garlic Powder

1 1/2 T. Crushed Red Pepper

Directions:

IMHO, the preparation of a good, home-made dipping sauce should probably begin with the end in mind, e.g. what flavor is to be achieved? With this in mind, the amounts of the ingredients are only a guide, so have some fun making it!

Begin with an EMPTY 2 quart sauce pan placed on low heat. Let the pan get hot, then add the water.

Once the water is hot, add the Soy Sauce. Allow the soy to get hot. Be careful not to allow to boil.

Add the sugar. (Now you know why we're keeping the heat low, or, if you don't know, it's so you don't burn the sugar!)

Next, add the mirin. (Mirin, along with the rice vinegar, cuts the oil from the peanut butter to help smooth and stabilize the sauce, giving it a longer shelf life in the fridge.)

Next, add the dry ingredients, (ginger, basil, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper.) As you incorporate ingredients, keep in mind the name of the game is reduce, reduce, reduce; just don't boil the sauce during the process.)

Next, add the rice vinegar, and allow to simmer. Add the fish sauce. Allow to simmer again.

Now it's time to add the peanut butter; however, incorporate the peanut butter a table spoon at a time. Reduce heat. Taste. Add another 1/2 T peanut butter., and continue to reduce until the sauce thickens. Whisk until smooth, and ingredients are well-incorporated. Taste. Add what your taste buds tell you, but perhaps a 1/4 C. of OJ.

(It's a flexible recipe, so by all means experiment!)

Paul
10/11/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: why would i feel the need to endear myself to women? why does everyone as...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

why would i feel the need to endear myself to women?

why does everyone assume that since i razz the women who trumpet their virtue that i somehow do not applaud the same virtues when used in a healthy and proper manner? i love virtue; i can't bear virtucrats.

--hide--

So you love virture in and of itself but you do not love the act of being virtuous. Who judges these women who you conider virtucrats, you scratchchin wide eyed

10/11/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: some people give virtue a bad name. make it so awfully una...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

some people give virtue a bad name. make it so awfully unappealing that they inadvertently serve the wrong master while trying to do good.

a gym? heaven forbid!!

--hide--

By whose standards and definitions, yours David eyepopping faint

10/11/2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: So you love virture in and of itself but you do not love the act of being virtuous. Who jud...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

So you love virture in and of itself but you do not love the act of being virtuous. Who judges these women who you conider virtucrats, you

--hide--

sure. of course i do. why not?

wink

10/11/2012 new

Judy Garland in particular, or the character she played, or the Wizard of Oz as a whole?

I liked the song. I used to like the movie, but have seen enough of it. Kansans both use the references for tourism benefit and dislike the references because of their constant use.

I'd like to point out that Oz was not Kansas. The character actually WANTED to get back home to Kansas.

Tornadoes here are actually overrated. We are either 3rd or 4th in the nation, depending on the year. Oklahoma is actually #1 followed closely by Texas.

Compared to California's earth quakes we have a general watch when storms are brewing and warnings often before the tornado drops. There are exceptions though. Storms that occur out of season can spin up a small tornado that gets interpreted as straight line winds. These often do limited damage as the winds do not exceed 80 MPH.

10/11/2012 new

The correct words are, "I'm going to Kansas City. Kansas City here I come."

According to Wikipedia Leiber and Stoller wrote the song for Willie Littlefield. However, I think the versons that gets played a lot are those by Fats Domino or Bill Haley and the Comets.

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) Paul-850415 said: Yes! I taught her how to make Thai peanut dipping sauce from scratch. Awesome for spring rolls!
(Quote) Paul-850415 said: Yes! I taught her how to make Thai peanut dipping sauce from scratch. Awesome for spring rolls!

--hide--

That sounds really good! Is it difficult to make? Does it take long? Can you make it super spicy? flamed

(Seriously I want to know, but thought I would throw in a few good questions for ya!)

wink

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Paul-850415 said: Yes! I taught her how to make Thai peanut dipping sauce ...
(Quote) Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Paul-850415 said: Yes! I taught her how to make Thai peanut dipping sauce from scratch. Awesome for spring rolls!

That sounds really good! Is it difficult to make? Does it take long? Can you make it super spicy?

(Seriously I want to know, but thought I would throw in a few good questions for ya!)

--hide--

I seriously want to know, but I just wanted to say that questions on a date can be as simple as those above and can help break the ice hopefully leading to more engaging conversation. Although, heck, I'm Mexican... we're all about the food! Chef heart

10/12/2012 new
(Quote) Maia-181886 said: That sounds really good! Is it difficult to make? Does it take long? Can you make it super sp...
(Quote) Maia-181886 said:

That sounds really good! Is it difficult to make? Does it take long? Can you make it super spicy?

--hide--

It's not difficult to make whatsoever - it just takes awhile (45 minutes to an hour) because it's cooked on a lower heat. I'm sure it can be made pretty spicy, but the main flavor to be discerned from this recipe is the peanut flavor, with some "pop" from the soy and ginger.
Posts 171 - 180 of 200