Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Oct 10th 2012 new

You can find out more on the Red Cross site. Here's a few things about giving blood--and I hope the rest of you will chime in with other facts or qualifications (and correct me if I've mispoken):

You can give blood every 56 days.

Your blood pressure, temperature, and pulse are taken before you give.

Your finger is stuck to get an iron count--you must have 12.5 or more to give.

You must weigh at least 100 pounds.

Okay, Blood Donors--here's your chance to put others at ease with your facts and feelings about giving blood--and hopefully, more will give!

Thanks for all those who responded!

Oct 10th 2012 new
(Quote) Christine-153962 said: You can find out more on the Red Cross site. Here's a few things about giving blood--and I hope the re...
(Quote) Christine-153962 said:

You can find out more on the Red Cross site. Here's a few things about giving blood--and I hope the rest of you will chime in with other facts or qualifications (and correct me if I've mispoken):

You can give blood every 56 days.

Your blood pressure, temperature, and pulse are taken before you give.

Your finger is stuck to get an iron count--you must have 12.5 or more to give.

You must weigh at least 100 pounds.

Okay, Blood Donors--here's your chance to put others at ease with your facts and feelings about giving blood--and hopefully, more will give!

Thanks for all those who responded!

--hide--

Hi Christine,

If your numbers are right regarding iron, that measurement (12.5) would be hemoglobin which is in grams per decaliter. The equivalent hematocrit would be about 37.5 %. Some blood centers use hematocrit rather than hemoglobin. Both indicate iron. Hydration can affect hemoglobin or hematocrit readings. Some rules may vary by state.
Oct 10th 2012 new

Thanks, Jim. I thought it was hemoglobin, but regardless knew it was about iron count. Thanks for the clarification.

Oct 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Christine-153962 said: Hi All,I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor f...

Hi All,

I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor for 25 years. I wonder how many of you give blood regularly. I understand not everyone can due to health reasons, but just as there's political and religious polls on this site, it would be nice to know who takes the time to donate blood.

And, if you don't currently donate, please consider it.

Have a great day!

Christine

--hide--

Interesting topic Christine! I can't give blood because I started going into shock while giving it. I turned green and they almost called 911. I thought I was gonna die! Anyway, my life was saved about 2 years ago by some wonderful donors. Please give if you are able...you never know if you will be in that emergency room someday:o)

Oct 11th 2012 new
Life-long donor; started when I was 16, I think.
Oct 11th 2012 new

I seen this thread and just I have to thank all who donate blood. I had never really thought of it before until I needed some.

I will never forget the the look on the doctors face and watering eyes when he put his hand on my shoulder and tried to tell me: "You don't have any blood."

They couldn't understand how I was able to still walk, and even breathe on my own. I thought it was all a mistake. I just went in to see what this persistent dry cough was that I had.

I had 9 transfusions. Which I think is a complete oil change.

There's no substitute for blood, and I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for those who donate. So Thank You!

If you are curious, and know what the numbers mean, this is my CBC on 12-18-07;

White Blood Count 0.7

Hemoglobin 4.2

Platelet Count 34

Absolute Seg .18

...yep, was quarantined

Oct 11th 2012 new
(Quote) Mark-741232 said: I seen this thread and just I have to thank all who donate blood. I had never really thought of it before until...
(Quote) Mark-741232 said:

I seen this thread and just I have to thank all who donate blood. I had never really thought of it before until I needed some.

I will never forget the the look on the doctors face and watering eyes when he put his hand on my shoulder and tried to tell me: "You don't have any blood."

They couldn't understand how I was able to still walk, and even breathe on my own. I thought it was all a mistake. I just went in to see what this persistent dry cough was that I had.

I had 9 transfusions. Which I think is a complete oil change.

There's no substitute for blood, and I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for those who donate. So Thank You!

If you are curious, and know what the numbers mean, this is my CBC on 12-18-07;

White Blood Count 0.7

Hemoglobin 4.2

Platelet Count 34

Absolute Seg .18

...yep, was quarantined

--hide--

You're a walking miracle, Mark! God bless you!
Oct 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Dave-24315 said: I would race the people next to me and see who could fill the bag up the fastest. The only one to e...
(Quote) Dave-24315 said:

I would race the people next to me and see who could fill the bag up the fastest. The only one to ever beat me was a old nun. who was a good friend of mine.

--hide--

I really like that idea. I donate blood on occasion, but I get really sqeemish. Making a game of it might help make it a little easier.

Oct 11th 2012 new
(Quote) Christine-153962 said: Hi All,I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor for 25 years. ...

Hi All,

I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor for 25 years. I wonder how many of you give blood regularly. I understand not everyone can due to health reasons, but just as there's political and religious polls on this site, it would be nice to know who takes the time to donate blood.

And, if you don't currently donate, please consider it.

Have a great day!

Christine

--hide--
d

I lived in England at the time of both Mad Cow disease and Russia's Chernoble nuclear power plant disaster, in which some radioactive fallout made it's way west over England. So far, I've contracted neither mad cow nor acquired a "glow", but they still won't let me donate blood.
Oct 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Debbie-696127 said: I really like that idea. I donate blood on occasion, but I get really sqeemish...
(Quote) Debbie-696127 said:

I really like that idea. I donate blood on occasion, but I get really sqeemish. Making a game of it might help make it a little easier.

--hide--
I always enoyed giving blood, think of it as a fun thing and how you are helping some one.

Posts 21 - 30 of 65