Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Oct 17th 2012 new

I don't because I pass out.

Oct 20th 2012 new

I started when my son was born, but he couldn't use mine, now I'm at about the 8 gallon mark, 19 years later.

Oct 22nd 2012 new

Hi John--Do you have a regular place where you donate? I ask because the grandchildren live in the Temecula/Winchester area. I haven't been there since Christmas, but love the combined Moose Lodge/St. Teresa of Calcutta building. On either side you can get wine!

Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Mark-741232 said:If you are curious, and know what the numbers mean, this is my CBC on 12-18-07; White Blood Count ...
(Quote) Mark-741232 said:If you are curious, and know what the numbers mean, this is my CBC on 12-18-07;

White Blood Count 0.7

--hide--

YIKES- obviously you have had that treated...

Oct 22nd 2012 new

I must look like I am going to pass out from what the techs say to me :o))
helps a lot to have plenty of liquid before you donate

Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Christine-153962 said: Hi All,I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor f...
(Quote) Christine-153962 said:

Hi All,

I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor for 25 years. I wonder how many of you give blood regularly. I understand not everyone can due to health reasons, but just as there's political and religious polls on this site, it would be nice to know who takes the time to donate blood.

And, if you don't currently donate, please consider it.

Have a great day!

Christine

--hide--

I applaud you, Christine... I cannot donate blood, but admire those who do on a regular basis. My late husband donated blood regularly, in Denver, where we lived and did so for over 25 years-- they loved him because he had a less common blood type of A/B. Last time I donated blood was in 1995.

Oct 26th 2012 new
Hi Christine,

I am a regular platelet donor. Due to my blood type and not having a virus in my blood, my platelets are preferred for oncology patients and neonates.

It takes a couple of hours for each donation, but it is totally worth it.

Theresa
Oct 26th 2012 new
(Quote) Kate-447425 said: I try to donate regularly. I figure, as long as they can use it, I have no excuse not to do it no matter how mu...
(Quote) Kate-447425 said:

I try to donate regularly. I figure, as long as they can use it, I have no excuse not to do it no matter how much I dislike the experience. Tonight I tried to give my second platelet donation, but my little vein was not cooperating They suggested I stick with "whole blood" donations. Works for me, but I may try platelets again sometime. They seem to be in higher demand than whole blood around here.

--hide--

Hi Kate,

One "trick" for and easier platelet donation is to really up your fluid intake for 2 or three days before. If you are well hydrated it makes it so much easier.

Theresa
Oct 26th 2012 new
(Quote) Sandra-222626 said: For years I wouldn't donate because I don't care for needles and when I absolutely have to get stuck ...
(Quote) Sandra-222626 said:

For years I wouldn't donate because I don't care for needles and when I absolutely have to get stuck it takes many sticks to get a vein and then it's usually in the back of my hand. Ouch!

We had a blood drive where I work and I decided to bite the bullet and donate. Sure enough the needle made it's rounds looking for a vein and finally ended up in the back of my hand. (I told them to start there but the techs wouldn't listen. ) After all the grief, it turns out my blood is not desirable. I clot too fast and clogged up the IV. In the time it took them to get half a bag from me two other folks had gone through the system.

--hide--

I prefer to go to the blood bank rather than the mobile units. I just feel that the people in the building are better for those of us with vein issues. I had a bad stick at a blood drive years ago, then when i had the courage to return I went to the building and it's been great.
Oct 27th 2012 new

They closed the local branch of the San Diego Bloodbank in Murrieta a year or ss back. I would stop there on my way to Home Depot. The closing had to do with the pollution/green regulations in California. All of their blood mobiles were old and "polluting" desiel engines. To buy new buses they had to cut back alot. The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

Now I give at either at work or St Martha's when the blood mobile comes by.

Posts 41 - 50 of 65