Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Theresa-51103 said: those of us with vein issues. I had a bad stick at a blood drive
(Quote) Theresa-51103 said: those of us with vein issues. I had a bad stick at a blood drive
--hide--

Well there I went and spoke to the phlebotomist while she was stiking me- she did not exactly miss- but the
flow was too slow and it clotted and left a large swelling on my arm. I declined the ice but asked them to put
an oversized pressure dressing on it- it is now fine but I did not give a full donation..
That was Wednesday- sixty one days and I may try again(that is when the truck comes to town)

Oct 29th 2012 new

If it happens again, take the ice. It's uncomfortable for a few minutes, but the damage is minimized for me at least. I used to do platelet donations regularly, but about five years ago I started having trouble with blown veins even on simple draws. If I am going someplace new, I carry a small icepack in my purse.

Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: If it happens again, take the ice. It's uncomfortable for a few minutes, but the damage i...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

If it happens again, take the ice. It's uncomfortable for a few minutes, but the damage is minimized for me at least. I used to do platelet donations regularly, but about five years ago I started having trouble with blown veins even on simple draws. If I am going someplace new, I carry a small icepack in my purse.

--hide--

Hey if it works for you- do it- mine was 100% normal except for the 2mm hole the next day
my problem is lack of exercise- decreases the vein's structure
I could draw your blood but am the wimp having mine drawn faint hersheyskiss

Oct 30th 2012 new

Don't get me started. LOL. They won't let me give blood. They say I have Mad Cow Disease. LOL

Apparently, since I was stationed in Europe in the 80's while I was in the Army and there was a MCD breakout in England, they won't let any service personnel give blood.

Our HR director blasted our company once because we only had like 2% of our company donate. I sent her a note saying, "Hey, we have a bunch of people travel to Asia and they won't let ex-milatary give. So you DQ all the go getters and givers, and then complain that no one gives blood."

She wrote back somewhat sheepishly that she'd never thought of it that way.

Hopefully one day, they'll figure out that the 5 gallons I already gave were fine and let me back in. A doctor friend of mine said don't bet on it. But, it just sticks in my craw that I can't give.

Will

Oct 30th 2012 new

I would if I could but am on "blood thinners" OOPS!

Oct 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Will-706257 said: Don't get me started. LOL. They won't let me give blood. They say I have Mad Cow Disease. ...
(Quote) Will-706257 said:

Don't get me started. LOL. They won't let me give blood. They say I have Mad Cow Disease. LOL fine and let me back in. A doctor friend of mine said don't bet on it. But, it just sticks in my craw that I can't give.

--hide--

I know they did not say you were a mad cow- but hey we do not have a test for carriers so maybe you are a mad cow- do you know the secret handshake? You may have eaten infected beef- be sure your physician knows in case of symptoms, I hope you are not craving alfalfa

Oct 30th 2012 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: I know they did not say you were a mad cow- but hey we do not have a test for carriers so mayb...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

I know they did not say you were a mad cow- but hey we do not have a test for carriers so maybe you are a mad cow- do you know the secret handshake? You may have eaten infected beef- be sure your physician knows in case of symptoms, I hope you are not craving alfalfa

--hide--

Yes my doctor knows. He has taken out a life insurance policy on me. LOL

Nov 19th 2012 new

I am here because some angel gave blood when I was born. Thanks to my angel! I have been giving blood since I was 16. The first were direct donations to my Mom. I have given over 5 gallons to the Red Cross but now I give directly to my local Catholic Hospital. An article appeared in our local paper stating an increase in the processing fee charged by the Red Cross to the area hospitals, the fee differs from one hospital to another depending on the amount the hospital uses Large Hospital are charged less. I contacted the local hospitals asking if this fee was true All responded Yes so I have been giving at my local Catholic hospital since the Fall of 2001. I am O- a universal donor so I am called every 6-8 weeks.

Dec 5th 2012 new
Dear Anne Marie, Hurrah for you for thinking about this.Many people think they are ineligible to donate blood. Check with your local blood donation center as they can give you a definite answer. A donor may be on medications that either don't matter or could be safely held until donation has been completed. I learned a lot when I volunteered at a donation center after 9/11....more than I'd ever learned before as a medical professional! While on the donation subject, consider signing up to be a bone marrow donor. You never know whose life you could save.Check out marrow.org. God bless.
Dec 10th 2012 new

I usually donate platelets. I also volunteer for the American Red Cross and work at blood drives, which can be a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who donates - Tell your friends to give it a try!!!

Posts 51 - 60 of 65