Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Do you covet marriage?

Oct 9th 2012 new

To covet is to desire something/someone above all else.

This may start a maelstrom of responses, but I was thinking about this today. I'll tell you why: I've read some forum entries recently (ok, daily) that expressed a wish to have someone in their life, especially now that the holidays are coming up, because they are tired of being alone. That made me think about a time I was praying for something to happen to make ME happy, not for the betterment of the other person. (Many years ago, I used to pray my then-fiance would return to Christ so we could marry[for me]--a VERY wrong purpose!! When I realized it, I was so upset, confessed my wrong, then started to pray for his salvation for him--a right purpose.)

Anyway, I started thinking at what point does our desire for a spouse and our plaintiff prayers become a sin? Don't get me wrong, I am open to God's provision of a spouse! My prayer has been to help me be ready for the life HE would have me lead. What say you?

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Missy-358855 said: To covet is to desire something/someone above all else. This may start a maelstrom of ...
(Quote) Missy-358855 said:

To covet is to desire something/someone above all else.

This may start a maelstrom of responses, but I was thinking about this today. I'll tell you why: I've read some forum entries recently (ok, daily) that expressed a wish to have someone in their life, especially now that the holidays are coming up, because they are tired of being alone. That made me think about a time I was praying for something to happen to make ME happy, not for the betterment of the other person. (Many years ago, I used to pray my then-fiance would return to Christ so we could marry[for me]--a VERY wrong purpose!! When I realized it, I was so upset, confessed my wrong, then started to pray for his salvation for him--a right purpose.)

Anyway, I started thinking at what point does our desire for a spouse and our plaintiff prayers become a sin? Don't get me wrong, I am open to God's provision of a spouse! My prayer has been to help me be ready for the life HE would have me lead. What say you?

--hide--
Like anything else Missy....I think you pray that you(me) ACCEPT God's will no matter the outcome. Being human, it's hard for me to swallow sometimes....and difficult to master.....(heck I'm 61 and haven't yet!) because I KNOW what I'd LIKE for him to answer; but......

Oct 9th 2012 new

Covet? Sometimes I whine that I want a companion...is that coveting?

Is whining coveting? I'll have some cheese with it, thank you...

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Like anything else Missy....I think you pray that you(me) ACCEPT God's will no matter the out...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Like anything else Missy....I think you pray that you(me) ACCEPT God's will no matter the outcome. Being human, it's hard for me to swallow sometimes....and difficult to master.....(heck I'm 61 and haven't yet!) because I KNOW what I'd LIKE for him to answer; but......

--hide--

Hi Jerry!! I keep thinking, Lord you have brought me this far, and the ride has been rough but good. You have never left me un-aided and protected me from so much. I'm pretty sure You have this covered for me. biggrin

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Covet? Sometimes I whine that I want a companion...is that coveting?Is whining coveting? ...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

I've got a nice red to go w/ that cheese. laughing C'mon over and we'll share.

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Missy-358855 said: Hi Jerry!! I keep thinking, Lord you have brought me this far, and the ride has been...

Hi Jerry!! I keep thinking, Lord you have brought me this far, and the ride has been rough but good. You have never left me un-aided and protected me from so much. I'm pretty sure You have this covered for me.

--hide--
Yeah....that wink

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Missy-358855 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Covet? Sometimes I whine that I want a companio...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I've got a nice red to go w/ that cheese. C'mon over and we'll share.

--hide--

I am a- comin' It will be fun! duck

Oct 9th 2012 new

I don't know how to play it but can I come too and I'll bring the violin violin so I can join in.

Once a year I get "hit" with it big time, more loneliness than coveting

covet - definition - to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others:

so,,,,Yes, if we are Not happy for those who have marriage when we do not.

and Maybe, if we know God's will was that we Not marry, example: Did Noah sin when he KNEW God's will was that he go to Nineveh yet he fled the other way?

and, I would say we are bordering on it if it consumes our time that would be better spent doing God's work, BUT, camaraderie with other Christians can hardly be considered sinful, so there, I'm staying online for another 10 minutes conscience

Oct 9th 2012 new
I have yearned, and even pined, but covet? No.

I suppose what helped through the loneliest part was that I was actively discerning religious life. Of course, that allowed me to shore up my prayer life, and that in turn helped me to learn how to walk, trusting in God.

Lord, I trust in you. Lead me to where you want me to go, give me that which you wish to give me, teach me what you want me to learn, guide me to act as you want me to act, and always let your grace flow through me. Amen.

That lesson learned, I've received some hints, helped a few people, received a couple miracles, and found the love of an amazing woman.
Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Karen-712407 said: I don't know how to play it but can I come too and I'll bring the violin so I can join in...
(Quote) Karen-712407 said:

I don't know how to play it but can I come too and I'll bring the violin so I can join in.

Once a year I get "hit" with it big time, more loneliness than coveting

covet - definition - to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others:

so,,,,Yes, if we are Not happy for those who have marriage when we do not.

and Maybe, if we know God's will was that we Not marry, example: Did Noah sin when he KNEW God's will was that he go to Nineveh yet he fled the other way?

and, I would say we are bordering on it if it consumes our time that would be better spent doing God's work, BUT, camaraderie with other Christians can hardly be considered sinful, so there, I'm staying online for another 10 minutes conscience

--hide--

biggrin Thank you, Karen!

Posts 1 - 10 of 16