Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

10/14/2012 new
www.stltoday.comopinion/columns/colleen-carroll-campbell/article_364e32fb-45fc-536f-bfc6-f7a703a3b77a.html
Colleen Carroll Campbell: Obama is alienating Catholic voters
http://www.stltoday.com

Catholics make up about a quarter of the American electorate and have backed the popular-vote winner in every presidential election since 1972. That track record continued through 2008:
10/15/2012 new

(Quote) Tom-755074 said: Let's all of us sincerely pray the Rosary. What say ye?
(Quote) Tom-755074 said:

Let's all of us sincerely pray the Rosary.

What say ye?

--hide--

Praying rosary theheart

10/15/2012 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: www.stltoday.com.
(Quote) Denise-687929 said: www.stltoday.comopinion/columns/colleen-carroll-campbell/article_364e32fb-45fc-536f-bfc6-f7a703a3b77a.html
Colleen Carroll Campbell: Obama is alienating Catholic voters
http://www.stltoday.com

Catholics make up about a quarter of the American electorate and have backed the popular-vote winner in every presidential election since 1972. That track record continued through 2008:
--hide--

Clicking on either of your given site addresses as they appeared did not work. But I finally manged to get to the article.

Mrs. Campbell assessment is right on and I am glad that it was published in a "mainstream" media paper. Its too bad it did not appear in enough widely read publications to have an impact.

However, it highlights the fact that to defeat Obama Catholic pulpits must clearly illustrate the issues in a manner understandable to the average person in the pew and motivate them to vote in a manner consistent with Church teachings.

I've said this before elsewhere. The Bishops in this country had better start sending their seminarians (and themselves) to Protestant Seminaries to learn how to preach in a manner that actually moves congregations.

A lot of what I have heard and read, although accurate, are delivered on such a literate level that the message has no impact. For some reason they appear to have no idea what the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principal is. Nor do they seem to know, understand or are capable of applying one of the primary rules of communicating; i.e. that even aiming the material at the 9th grade level is too high a level for effective communication. Many will never use one word when 10 will do.

You get the idea.

An example: Washington State voters are faced with an initiative to approve so called "gay marriage." If anyone does not know, Washington State is one of the least Churched states in the nation and among the minority of church goers, Catholics are one of the smallest groups.

The Archbishop is broadcasting a very literate piece opposing the initiative. The problem is, of course is that (1) It is delivered in an overly literate style and (2) it is only broadcast on Catholic Radio. So at best the message, assuming it is successful, reaches such a small group (Catholics who listen to catholic radio) that the there would be no discernible impact on the overall voters' decision. But the message has a poor chance of even moving that small a group.

10/15/2012 new
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Actress Stacey Dash tweeted that she is supporting Romney/Ryan and she was immediately attacked by the left wi...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Actress Stacey Dash tweeted that she is supporting Romney/Ryan and she was immediately attacked by the left with things like "kill yourself" etc. She had supported Obama the first time around and is now supporting Romney due to Obama's record and this is what she gets as an African female....attacked!

--hide--

Um. This is what happens here on this Catholic site to people who acknowledge that they are going to vote for Obama. Although, to be fair, we are told that we are risking our souls and/or going to hell, that we aren't real Catholics rather than to kill ourselves.
10/15/2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Clicking on either of your given site addresses as they appeared did not work. But I fina...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Clicking on either of your given site addresses as they appeared did not work. But I finally manged to get to the article.

Mrs. Campbell assessment is right on and I am glad that it was published in a "mainstream" media paper. Its too bad it did not appear in enough widely read publications to have an impact.

However, it highlights the fact that to defeat Obama Catholic pulpits must clearly illustrate the issues in a manner understandable to the average person in the pew and motivate them to vote in a manner consistent with Church teachings.

I've said this before elsewhere. The Bishops in this country had better start sending their seminarians (and themselves) to Protestant Seminaries to learn how to preach in a manner that actually moves congregations.

A lot of what I have heard and read, although accurate, are delivered on such a literate level that the message has no impact. For some reason they appear to have no idea what the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principal is. Nor do they seem to know, understand or are capable of applying one of the primary rules of communicating; i.e. that even aiming the material at the 9th grade level is too high a level for effective communication. Many will never use one word when 10 will do.

You get the idea.

An example: Washington State voters are faced with an initiative to approve so called "gay marriage." If anyone does not know, Washington State is one of the least Churched states in the nation and among the minority of church goers, Catholics are one of the smallest groups.

The Archbishop is broadcasting a very literate piece opposing the initiative. The problem is, of course is that (1) It is delivered in an overly literate style and (2) it is only broadcast on Catholic Radio. So at best the message, assuming it is successful, reaches such a small group (Catholics who listen to catholic radio) that the there would be no discernible impact on the overall voters' decision. But the message has a poor chance of even moving that small a group.

--hide--
Your post is right on Paul! From my first post on Patricia's first installment of 'getting Romney/Ryan elected' and elsewhere, I have repeatedly pleaded for posters to contact the USCCB to ask for a forceful and definitive statement regarding Obama's ethical fitness as a candidate, to be sent to every diocese in the country so at least all church-going Catholics will get the message and go to the polls well informed, because as we all know from Biden's debate lie about the HHS mandate, mainstream media is unlikely to rubuke it. I have also posted an open request that CM post on everyones homepage, info about Obama's anti-Catholic agenda and about contacting the USCCB to ask for a statement, if this is possible. The reason for this, as you alluded to, is to broadcast the message to the widest possible audience. But instead, what's everyone been doing lately? Getting drawn into unending arguments with Charles, belabored disections of semantic drivel going nowhere, so he can twist it into something new and start again? STOP!! you're being played! How do we help Romney/Ryan get elected?!

10/15/2012 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Your post is right on Paul! From my first post on Patricia's first installment of 'getti...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

Your post is right on Paul! From my first post on Patricia's first installment of 'getting Romney/Ryan elected' and elsewhere, I have repeatedly pleaded for posters to contact the USCCB to ask for a forceful and definitive statement regarding Obama's ethical fitness as a candidate, to be sent to every diocese in the country so at least all church-going Catholics will get the message and go to the polls well informed, because as we all know from Biden's debate lie about the HHS mandate, mainstream media is unlikely to rubuke it. I have also posted an open request that CM post on everyones homepage, info about Obama's anti-Catholic agenda and about contacting the USCCB to ask for a statement, if this is possible. The reason for this, as you alluded to, is to broadcast the message to the widest possible audience. But instead, what's everyone been doing lately? Getting drawn into unending arguments with Charles, belabored disections of semantic drivel going nowhere, so he can twist it into something new and start again? STOP!! you're being played! How do we help Romney/Ryan get elected?!

--hide--

Joseph, I've contacted them once. Do you think it would help to contact the USCCB again? And, I don't know how to put a link here, but if you do, why don't you post the link here again. Many more CM members read these forums than post here (I think maybe by a factor of 10 to 1 from what someone told me), so your posting may be motivating non-posting CM members to contact the USCCB too. I do agree that at this point, continuing discussion with Charles (for example) is fairly pointless.

10/15/2012 new
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Joseph, I've contacted them once. Do you think it would help to contact the USCCB again? And, I ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Joseph, I've contacted them once. Do you think it would help to contact the USCCB again? And, I don't know how to put a link here, but if you do, why don't you post the link here again. Many more CM members read these forums than post here (I think maybe by a factor of 10 to 1 from what someone told me), so your posting may be motivating non-posting CM members to contact the USCCB too. I do agree that at this point, continuing discussion with Charles (for example) is fairly pointless.

--hide--
Patricia, we've got to show you and Wendy how post links. It's so simple.

Here is the link to the USCCB "Contact Us" Form - www.usccb.org

And the USCCB's prompt statement re: Joe Biden and the VP Debate.

USCCB Responds To Inaccurate Statement Of Fact On HHS Mandate Made During Vice Presidential Debate - www.usccb.org
10/15/2012 new
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: But instead, what's everyone been doing lately? Getting drawn into unending arguments with Charles, belabo...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

But instead, what's everyone been doing lately? Getting drawn into unending arguments with Charles, belabored disections of semantic drivel going nowhere, so he can twist it into something new and start again? STOP!! you're being played! How do we help Romney/Ryan get elected?!

--hide--
highfive I recognized that we have wasted way-way-way too much time (MONTHS!) getting into debates with Charles rather than using the precious little time we have left to make a difference. Yes, we've allowed ourselves to be distracted. Resist the temptation to waste time on distractions which can be otherwise be spent working toward the goal of ridding this nation of the Obama administration.

Spend time doing something which will directly effect the election. As for me, I'm contacting Catholic Bookstores across the swing states requesting that they print/distribute Catholic Vote flyers to customers. www.catholicvote.org

TO ALL THE ROMNEY/RYAN SUPPORTERS (see previous page ), we need volunteers wave
10/15/2012 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Patricia, we've got to show you and Wendy how post links. It's so simple. Here is...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Patricia, we've got to show you and Wendy how post links. It's so simple.

Here is the link to the USCCB "Contact Us" Form - www.usccb.org

And the USCCB's prompt statement re: Joe Biden and the VP Debate.

USCCB Responds To Inaccurate Statement Of Fact On HHS Mandate Made During Vice Presidential Debate - www.usccb.org
--hide--

I agree! Thank you, Mary. Perhaps when the election is over, you might want to start a thread to teach us low-tech computer people how to do a few simple things (such as post links).

10/15/2012 new
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I agree! Thank you, Mary. Perhaps when the election is over, you might want to start a thread to te...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I agree! Thank you, Mary. Perhaps when the election is over, you might want to start a thread to teach us low-tech computer people how to do a few simple things (such as post links).

--hide--
Now that would be a laugh...me starting a thread on computer science skills...even the most basic.

I'll try to help you via message or chat after the election if you can't find a knight-errant heartbeat to assist you. Battling eyelashes wink
Posts 71 - 80 of 200