Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Nov 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Corinna-623958 said: It wasn't a pedophile scandal. It was a homosexual scandal. I mean, A LOT of alter servers...
(Quote) Corinna-623958 said:

It wasn't a pedophile scandal. It was a homosexual scandal. I mean, A LOT of alter servers are girls (more than half of them around here) but most of the victims were boys. Of couse the higher-ups will never admit to this because as soon as they do, all hell's going to break loose. Try telling that to your friend.
--hide--

You are right Corinna. Actually there have been studies that say that pedophily is related to homosexuality. The media doesn't pick up on it though, because like you said that would be an evidence that homosexuality is wrong. And they can't afford doing that. It just shows that the media controls what society should believe and think.

Nov 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Corinna-623958 said: It wasn't a pedophile scandal. It was a homosexual scandal. I mean, A LOT of alter servers...
(Quote) Corinna-623958 said:

It wasn't a pedophile scandal. It was a homosexual scandal. I mean, A LOT of alter servers are girls (more than half of them around here) but most of the victims were boys. Of couse the higher-ups will never admit to this because as soon as they do, all hell's going to break loose. Try telling that to your friend.
--hide--

There may be many female altar servers today, but keep in mind many of these abuse cases are more, often much more, than 20 years old and occurred when there were few, if any, female altar servers.

It is important to understand that despite common usage, and even many press reports, the vast majority of the sexual abuse cases involving priests were not pedophilia. Pedophilia, by definition, involves sexual attraction (not necessarily contact) with pre-pubescent children; once they reach puberty, it is no longer pedophilia. The vast majority of the victims documented in the John Jay report were of an age where they would be assumed to be post-pubescent (whether they had actually reached puberty was not reported, and may not be known to anyone, including the victims).

This is an important distinction not because it is any less wrong for the priests to abuse post-pubescent children, but to properly understand the psychopathology that leads to such behavior. Studies regarding pedophilia are irrelevant in most cases; the term hebephilia applies to sexual preference for those in early puberty, while ephebophilia refers to sexual preference for those who are in the mid to late teen years (in all three cases, assuming the subject is an adult).

Nov 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Corinna-623958 said: It wasn't a pedophile scandal. It was a h...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Corinna-623958 said:

There may be many female altar servers today, but keep in mind many of these abuse cases are more, often much more, than 20 years old and occurred when there were few, if any, female altar servers.

It is important to understand that despite common usage, and even many press reports, the vast majority of the sexual abuse cases involving priests were not pedophilia. Pedophilia, by definition, involves sexual attraction (not necessarily contact) with pre-pubescent children; once they reach puberty, it is no longer pedophilia. The vast majority of the victims documented in the John Jay report were of an age where they would be assumed to be post-pubescent (whether they had actually reached puberty was not reported, and may not be known to anyone, including the victims).

This is an important distinction not because it is any less wrong for the priests to abuse post-pubescent children, but to properly understand the psychopathology that leads to such behavior. Studies regarding pedophilia are irrelevant in most cases; the term hebephilia applies to sexual preference for those in early puberty, while ephebophilia refers to sexual preference for those who are in the mid to late teen years (in all three cases, assuming the subject is an adult).

--hide--

I forgot to add that you are right: many of the cases were involving boys. While many try to dance around the fact that it's not "homosexual" because the victims were children, many of them were sexually mature adolescents, and thus such denials are unreasonable.

Nov 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I forgot to add that you are right: many of the cases were involving boys. While many try to dance...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I forgot to add that you are right: many of the cases were involving boys. While many try to dance around the fact that it's nt "homosexual" because the victims were children, many of them were sexually mature adolescents, and thus such denials are unreasonable.

--hide--

The study on the subject that the USCCB commissioned was very clear on that and even stated that it was, at base, a homosexual problem. The Bishops chose to overlook that, although they did nothing to hide it.

Nov 4th 2012 new
(Quote) James-875607 said: I know exactly why. I converted to Christ's one true church in 2006. The greatest disappointment I found ...
(Quote) James-875607 said:

I know exactly why. I converted to Christ's one true church in 2006. The greatest disappointment I found since rejoicing in my new discovery, was that almost no other Catholics were as excited as I was and still am about being Catholic. We have lost our identity much like Americans have forgotten what it means to be American. We take everything for granted and sit on our couches and wait for some one else to do the dirty work. What dirty work you ask? EVANGELIZATION. This is the essential mission of Christ's church. Look what 12 dumb fishermen did when they were filled with the gifts of the Holy Spirit! Now, look what each of us has done. We all received the same gifts at our confirmation yet NONE of us went out like we were sent to do to make Saints of all nations, to evangelize, to proclaim the Gospel that Jesus is King! Your friend left because you let him. It was too hard to do otherwise. When was the last time you talked to any of your friends Catholic or otherwise about the incredible gifts you received from the Holy Spirit? Do you even know what they are? Do remember where you put them after you received them? I often find myself at a moment of truth where I ask myself if it is even worth it; is there any point to trying to shine the light of Christ of our society and some of the lost and stubborn souls of this world and just when I start to faulter, guess what I do. That's right, I pray for a sign and before the amen to that prayer I have my sign. Some one comes to me and asks me to do something for them or asks me a question about my faith (or their's) or needs me in some way or I see a bird fly up into a tree or a gnat lands on my cheek or I hear a dog bark or I see a child playing in her yard and I realize that all of this - ALL OF THIS is for me and I know that every aspect of my life would not be possible had it not been for the God man and his great creation and his great sacrifice. Chances are good that your friend is not a true atheist because a true atheist has a certain (although unreasonable) system of beliefs that they think are based on reason. He is probably, just like millions of other people on this planet, confused or misinformed about what it means to be Catholic. Go to him and talk to him. First read a book about Catholicism. Matthew Kelly, Scott Hahn, Steven Ray, Fulton Sheen. Start anywhere in any book by any of these authors. Attend RCIA. Every one on the planet should attend RCIA. "Cradle Catholics" are some of the weakest Catholics going; questioning the teachings of the Church, choosing what and what not to believe, throwing out misinformation, believing misinformation coming in, flopping around like fish at the bottom of a boat waiting to be scooped up and served to who ever wants them. We have a church called the Cowboy Church that's drawing some away from our church. WHAT!!??? GIVE ME A BREAK!!! YEEHAW JESUS! (He's rolling His eyes with all the Saints in heaven) Do they worship Roy Rogers? That's a good rumor to start. We "worship" Mary, they worship Roy Rogers. I'm going with that one. Sorry, I got side-tracked. Strap a pair on and TALK TO PEOPLE. I asked my 10th grade confirmation class at the beginning of the year what was the pillar and foundation of truth. They ALL said it was the Bible. That's not what the Bible says. If you don't know this one you should crack open and dust off your Bible and read Timothy 1 & 2...you'll find it. While you're at it, read the whole thing. You'll be amazed at how the words jump off the page when you read it with Catholic glasses on.

--hide--
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is kingdom of heaven! The 12 fishermen are holy in the sight of The Lord. They are intelligent human beings , even when they were fishing. Now, just what were their names?....... Cradle Catholics are wonderfully strong faithful ones, the ones who have went astray....I will humbly pray for them to come back to The Lord. The Lord calls each of us by our name, it is our free will if we in return respond to The Lord. Wherever my brothers and sisters are, baptized in the One Holy Apostolic Catholic Church I will pray for them, I love them as that is what Jesus wants us to do, Love one another as I have loved you........ I am a cradle catholic, I know my faith, it was given to me by God. I love God, my Father,Jesus Christ,my Savior, and the Holy Ghost, my counselor, my protector. I believe in the Blessed Mother, Holy Mary Mother of God, and all the angels and saints in heaven, the communion of all , we are one body in Jesus Christ. Lord have mercy on us, Christ have mercy on us. I know you haven't finished RCIA yet, some of these things you will learn.
Nov 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Sean, where are you getting this bilge from? The rate of abuse by priests is less ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Sean, where are you getting this bilge from?

The rate of abuse by priests is less than is found in the general population. It is far more common among public school teachers for example.

Name a single diocese that is corrupt? Oh, supply at least some proof for any you name.

Or how about naming just one Pope in the last 100 years that was a bad Pope? And don't forget the proof.

Satan also works through people who toss around unfounded acusations.

--hide--

bishop-accountability.org At least 251 accused priests in the RCAB, although I hear the real number is closer to 400. How can anyone be surprised when you consider the history of the RCAB in the last century? The exploits of Cardinal O'Connell are legendary. Cardinal Madeiros was accused of abuse. Was the last good leader of the RCAB Archbishop Williams in the early 1900s? I've read two books about O'Connell, both implying he was a homosexual who covered up crimes because of the threat of blackmail. Bishops tried to get Rome to remove O'Connell but never succeeded.

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: Someone I know very well just told me he stopped going to church two years ago and is now an athei...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

Someone I know very well just told me he stopped going to church two years ago and is now an atheist. He said he no longer believes in it. I'm shocked. He's 51 now, was an altar boy for many years, attended Catholic school, worked in the church rectory, is a Godfather, always attended weekly mass. He brought up the priest pedophile scandal quite a few times. When that big scandal broke years ago, he still attended mass. As an altar boy, he and other boys were friends with a priest who was accused of misconduct many years later. The priest wasn't allowed to administer the Sacraments and is retired now. This guy said if it's true, he feels sorry for the victim, not the priest, but he did say he didn't have a bad experience with this priest himself.

I don't think a person wakes up one day and says they are an atheist after being a practicing Catholic for so many years. Something must have happened. (No, he isn't in a relationship - it's not a Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes type of thing)....

Any explanation?

--hide--

Sometimes many things disappoint you in life and you start losing your faith, if not well anchored. I agree with most of the answers given on this post --something along the way happened to him that made him lose faith and hope, and, as some said, only he knows what it was.

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: bishop-accountability.org At least 251 accused priests in the RC...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

bishop-accountability.org At least 251 accused priests in the RCAB, although I hear the real number is closer to 400. How can anyone be surprised when you consider the history of the RCAB in the last century? The exploits of Cardinal O'Connell are legendary. Cardinal Madeiros was accused of abuse. Was the last good leader of the RCAB Archbishop Williams in the early 1900s? I've read two books about O'Connell, both implying he was a homosexual who covered up crimes because of the threat of blackmail. Bishops tried to get Rome to remove O'Connell but never succeeded.

--hide--

I don't think it matters whether it is 250 or 10. The fact that it has occurred is very bad in itself and a bad mark on the Catholic church and the faith.

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: Yes in some sense it may appear to be easier, but in others not. I think life would be...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:

Yes in some sense it may appear to be easier, but in others not. I think life would be horrible if I did not know that we have a Loving, Just, and Merciful God.

--hide--

Which is exactly why Karl Marx said that "Religion was the opium of the masses."

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Maria-846262 said: I don't think it matters whether it is 250 or 10. The fact that it has occurred ...
(Quote) Maria-846262 said:

I don't think it matters whether it is 250 or 10. The fact that it has occurred is very bad in itself and a bad mark on the Catholic church and the faith.

--hide--

Well, it is one thing to have a few bad apples. It's another to have the same patterns everywhere and abuse networks running to very high places in the Church. The Trads blame everything on Vatican II; the mainstream conservatives blame lack of orthodoxy. And the progressives blame what they see as the lack of implentation of Vatican II. The truth is that these abuses were going on long before Vatican II and the already-bad situation exploded during the heady days after Vatican II.

Posts 31 - 40 of 45