Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Nov 6th 2012 new
I think a lot of this is due to who an individual, like your friend, is currently surrounded by. An entire lifetime of being a devout Catholic can be superseded if the person is overwhelmed by others who do not think as he has been taught as a Catholic.

If your friend is surrounded by non-believers, or possibly others who ridicule or belittle his faith on a regular and continual basis, this would be difficult for him. Also, for someone to change as he did, he might be offered a "carrot" of some kind. The "carrot" can come as a number of different means: a job, money, friends and belonging, backup, lime-light, popularity, even companionship or a love interest.

With the economy as it is, I think some people may be feeling pushed to their limits, and feel abandoned or short-changed. Sometimes I think "burnout" or "overload" is involved, e.g., having to be the poster person for the faith.

The best that we can do is continue to be good examples of the faith.
Nov 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Corinna-623958 said: It wasn't a pedophile scandal. It was a homosexual scandal. I mean, A LOT of alter servers...
(Quote) Corinna-623958 said:

It wasn't a pedophile scandal. It was a homosexual scandal. I mean, A LOT of alter servers are girls (more than half of them around here) but most of the victims were boys. Of couse the higher-ups will never admit to this because as soon as they do, all hell's going to break loose. Try telling that to your friend.
--hide--

Interesting that you would bring this up, the statistic I have seen was 90% against boys/teens.

To answer the original post

It isn't hard to believe that people loose their faith, when the entire Church seems to of gone completely mad.

Nov 9th 2012 new

Pain and God allowing painful things to happen to him may have done it. That causes more than a few people to lose their faith.
Perhaps the current state of the Church as opposed to better times -- that made my grandmother stop attending mass -- and probably more than a few others as well. I'm not saying that in fact the Church isn't true or is wrong. But the above mentioned things can sharply impact a person's heart which if unchecked will affect their faith.

My 2 cents.

Nov 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Stewart-821725 said: Interesting that you would bring this up, the statistic I have seen was 90% against boys/teens....
(Quote) Stewart-821725 said:

Interesting that you would bring this up, the statistic I have seen was 90% against boys/teens.

To answer the original post

It isn't hard to believe that people loose their faith, when the entire Church seems to of gone completely mad.

--hide--

I don't disagree with you. However we need to keep reminding ourselves that the reason the entire Church seems to have gone mad is because that is the way the media in this country portrays it.

Nov 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I don't disagree with you. However we need to keep reminding ourselves that the reaso...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I don't disagree with you. However we need to keep reminding ourselves that the reason the entire Church seems to have gone mad is because that is the way the media in this country portrays it.

--hide--

The Church really has gone mad, or at least large portions of the Church have. The media portray abuse as though abuse were unique to the Church. That's the distortion. There really are nasty people running the Catholic Church. I've seen the phenomenon myself. As Randy Engel notes in one of her articles, the Vatican isn't part of the problem; it is the problem. The abuse scandals don't come from the bottom up; they come from the top down. There are people whose faith in the Church would collapse if they knew all the things that have gone on in the past several decades. People shouldn't lose faith, but, understandably they do, as these scandals are too much to handle for many.

Posts 41 - 45 of 45