Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Oct 16th 2012 new
Just a note on weekly scoring....

A player who makes less than 5 correct picks will be given credit for 5 correct picks automatically UNLESS his upset special bonus points put that player at 5 pts or more. Than the default is waived and the player gets the sum of his correct picks and the upset bonus points.

Any questions about this please let me know.

Thanks,

CM Football Commish
Oct 16th 2012 new

Judging by the looks of things....the "Jesuits" need to step-up their prayers!

Oct 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Judging by the looks of things....the "Jesuits" need to step-up their prayers!
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Judging by the looks of things....the "Jesuits" need to step-up their prayers!

--hide--

"Jerry's Jesuits"--Too much book learning scratchchin , not enough praying Praying

Time to simplify the offense Jerry....Just run up the middle, don't overthink it- biggrin
Oct 16th 2012 new
Interview with head coach David of the Dominicans....

CM reporter: I'm here with head coach of the Dominicans David. David, you've opened up your largest lead this season...6 pts over the 2nd place team Nancy's New School Nuns..What do you attribute your success to so far this season?

David: Well, for one thing, I don't want to get my knuckles cracked by those New School Nuns so we want as much distance between us and them as possible. 6 pts. can evaporate faster than a New York minute in Catholic Match League Football....As far as the success of the Doms, i would have to say its our QB, the "Fat Ox", St. Thomas Aquinas...The man is so huge, he is virutally impossible to sack or bring down...He's like Big Ben Roethlisberger, he extends the plays by shrugging off would be tacklers...Then we have the heart and soul of the Dominicans, St. Dominic, at RB...He's the Marshall Faulk of the Doms. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and take a screen pass to the house, or he can beat you up with his "slash and burn" running style...

CM Reporter: Who came up with the idea of painting Dominican monk style hair cuts on the helmets. Its the newest rage in the Catholic League.

David: That was St. Thomas Aquinas' idea. I wasn't sure about it, but you know what they say, "there's no arguing against Aquinas."

CM Reporter: Thanks for your time David

David: Sure thing.
Oct 16th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: "Jerry's Jesuits"--Too much book learning , not enough praying Time to sim...
(Quote) David-562122 said:

"Jerry's Jesuits"--Too much book learning , not enough praying

Time to simplify the offense Jerry....Just run up the middle, don't overthink it-
--hide--
Actually, you don't know how RIGHT you really are! I call it:

"Paralysis of the Analysis"! embarassed laughing cool

Oct 16th 2012 new
NFL Antecdote

I remember going to Veterans Stadium for Eagle games with my father, my uncle, and my cousins. We had nosebleed seats in the 700 level--sat in section 714 which was on the 50 yard line. I remember we brought binoculars and hoagies and hot chocolate. Great memories. We had the rowdiest, most drunk fans in our section. You could sometimes get a waft of MJ smoke, so you had to bring extra food-lol. Just a few sections over there was a guy who used to do the E-A-G-L-E-S..EAGLES chant by making the letters with his body.

Interesting enough was the fact that a newly elected Senator named Arlen Specter sat just a few rows below us. Yes, I'm dating myself, considering how long Specter held that office. This was during the late 1970s and I was about 14 years old.

I remember Jaws-Ron Jaworski-getting booed and cheered every week. One season, Jaws went down and an unknown QB named Mike Boryla came in for the season. He was having some success and the fans were psyched. They had a sign that read "Boryla's Gorillas". Finally after a few good weeks, the hyped died down as Boryla started to lose. Soon, however, the Polish rifle would return to take the Eagles to their first ever Super Bowl, under head coach Dick Vermeil.

That magic year when Vermeil lead the Eagles to face the Raiders in the Super Bowl--I believe that was Super Bowl XV--would be the last year we would get season's tickets. My father was older and could no longer deal with walking those steps up to the 700 level. My cousin's had grown up and now had other things to do--like boys, and concerts, etc...But after all of those losing seasons watching the Eagles in the 70s, 1980 was a magic year with Wilbert Montgomery at RB. I believe he won the rushing title that year. Jaws, after so many years of tough scrutiny, now finally would get some respect, and the defense with Bill Bergey as the inspirational leader at MLB would shoulder the load.

The last game I would ever see at the Vet, except for an Eagles vs. Rams wildcard game in 1989 that I went to, was the NFC Championship game...yes guys....Eagles vs. the Cowboys....I will always remember that game for two reasons...First, it was -23 degrees with the wind chill. I never went to a game that was so darn cold. It was so cold that after the game when we returned to the parking lot, my friend's right front tire was flat. Some idiots at the game were so drunk that they had their shirts off...It was reported that some people actually died due to the cold.

Another reason I remember that game was, of course, that it was a Championship game, the first for the Eagles since 1960 when Norm Van Brocklin led the Eagles over the Packers at Franklin Field. The city was absolutely bananas all week before the game. But I remember most the electricity at the game. Every play the fans were on their feet. I never experienced such an electricity. It was 60.000 people becoming one and you could feel yourself losing your sense of self. There was no time to reflect on a play or get a hot dog or anything. It was just one long 3 hour moment of group think with your eyes glued on every play, standing in the freezing cold, a complete religious experience.

The Eagles blew the Cowboys out that game as Montgomery had a monster of a day rushing. The Eagles went to the Super Bowl and I would watch that Super Bowl with me dad at home on TV. It was the worst Super Bowl I have ever seen. The Eagles were so nervous and outclassed in that game. My father spent the entire game shouting obscenities at the TV. It was painful and frustrating to watch a great year go up in smoke to the Raiders--a wildcard team, the first wildcard team to win the Super Bowl. The Raiders kicked our butts. The Eagles were emotionally spent. Beating the Cowboys, a team that dominated the Eagles for so long, was just too emotionally draining to come back and get up for the Raiders.
Oct 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Actually, you don't know how RIGHT you really are! I call it: "Paralysis of the Analys...

Actually, you don't know how RIGHT you really are! I call it:

"Paralysis of the Analysis"!

--hide--

I know that Jerry. That's my own problem. wink
Oct 16th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: I know that Jerry. That's my own problem.
(Quote) David-562122 said:

I know that Jerry. That's my own problem.
--hide--
Well the difference is in the results! You are doing well. Kudos to you!

Oct 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Well the difference is in the results! You are doing well. Kudos to you!

Well the difference is in the results! You are doing well. Kudos to you!

--hide--

Thanks but I won't be satisfied with anything less than the championship.
Oct 16th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: NFL Antecdote I remember going to Veterans Stadium for Eagle games with my father, my uncle, and...
(Quote) David-562122 said: NFL Antecdote

I remember going to Veterans Stadium for Eagle games with my father, my uncle, and my cousins. We had nosebleed seats in the 700 level--sat in section 714 which was on the 50 yard line. I remember we brought binoculars and hoagies and hot chocolate. Great memories. We had the rowdiest, most drunk fans in our section. You could sometimes get a waft of MJ smoke, so you had to bring extra food-lol. Just a few sections over there was a guy who used to do the E-A-G-L-E-S..EAGLES chant by making the letters with his body.

Interesting enough was the fact that a newly elected Senator named Arlen Specter sat just a few rows below us. Yes, I'm dating myself, considering how long Specter held that office. This was during the late 1970s and I was about 14 years old.

I remember Jaws-Ron Jaworski-getting booed and cheered every week. One season, Jaws went down and an unknown QB named Mike Boryla came in for the season. He was having some success and the fans were psyched. They had a sign that read "Boryla's Gorillas". Finally after a few good weeks, the hyped died down as Boryla started to lose. Soon, however, the Polish rifle would return to take the Eagles to their first ever Super Bowl, under head coach Dick Vermeil.

That magic year when Vermeil lead the Eagles to face the Raiders in the Super Bowl--I believe that was Super Bowl XV--would be the last year we would get season's tickets. My father was older and could no longer deal with walking those steps up to the 700 level. My cousin's had grown up and now had other things to do--like boys, and concerts, etc...But after all of those losing seasons watching the Eagles in the 70s, 1980 was a magic year with Wilbert Montgomery at RB. I believe he won the rushing title that year. Jaws, after so many years of tough scrutiny, now finally would get some respect, and the defense with Bill Bergey as the inspirational leader at MLB would shoulder the load.

The last game I would ever see at the Vet, except for an Eagles vs. Rams wildcard game in 1989 that I went to, was the NFC Championship game...yes guys....Eagles vs. the Cowboys....I will always remember that game for two reasons...First, it was -23 degrees with the wind chill. I never went to a game that was so darn cold. It was so cold that after the game when we returned to the parking lot, my friend's right front tire was flat. Some idiots at the game were so drunk that they had their shirts off...It was reported that some people actually died due to the cold.

Another reason I remember that game was, of course, that it was a Championship game, the first for the Eagles since 1960 when Norm Van Brocklin led the Eagles over the Packers at Franklin Field. The city was absolutely bananas all week before the game. But I remember most the electricity at the game. Every play the fans were on their feet. I never experienced such an electricity. It was 60.000 people becoming one and you could feel yourself losing your sense of self. There was no time to reflect on a play or get a hot dog or anything. It was just one long 3 hour moment of group think with your eyes glued on every play, standing in the freezing cold, a complete religious experience.

The Eagles blew the Cowboys out that game as Montgomery had a monster of a day rushing. The Eagles went to the Super Bowl and I would watch that Super Bowl with me dad at home on TV. It was the worst Super Bowl I have ever seen. The Eagles were so nervous and outclassed in that game. My father spent the entire game shouting obscenities at the TV. It was painful and frustrating to watch a great year go up in smoke to the Raiders--a wildcard team, the first wildcard team to win the Super Bowl. The Raiders kicked our butts. The Eagles were emotionally spent. Beating the Cowboys, a team that dominated the Eagles for so long, was just too emotionally draining to come back and get up for the Raiders.
--hide--
I remember David. And I remember how our wide receiver Tony Hill "dogged" it the whole day. He didn't want to be there....much less catch passes. I was so mad at him...I probably yelled like your Father did.

I also remember Wilbert Montgomery when he was at Abilene Christian College (now Abilene Christian University) here in Texas. That guy for all of his 5'9" and maybe 190 lbs was great! Scoring 37 touchdowns as a freshman!!!

Posts 31 - 40 of 200