Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Oct 16th 2012 new
Um. Me. I think my ancestors jumped ship with either Luther or Calvin. Maybe a few with Knox. So I be the first in a loooonnngggg time!
Oct 16th 2012 new

Interesting.....

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: On my Mother's side of the family there was supposed to be a male ancestor who accompanied Ric...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

On my Mother's side of the family there was supposed to be a male ancestor who accompanied Richard the Lion Heart in the Crusades and was awareded the title Leo for his service. That became the family name. The family is Italian

My Father's family orginates in France, minor nobility sent to Italy when the French ruled most of it. The ancestor was sent to Command the Fort that guarded the Mountain Road entry to Naples. The familky settled permanently in Italy during the French revolutioin in order to keep their heads on their shoulders.

--hide--

Oct 17th 2012 new

"Always been catholic" *chuckles* That is impossible.

Oct 18th 2012 new

I've said for years I'm a mutt (and we make the best pets!) and the same holds true for religion somewhat. My mother's mother is Irish catholic back forever; her father's family immigrated from Palestine just prior to Israel came into being - Jewish until great grandpa married an Episcopal woman. Dad's father's family came from German and France - a lot of records lost, but we believe they left their Jewish faith before coming to America in the early 1800s. His mother's family came from England (Church of England) and Poland - Jews only a few made it out and those converted to Episcopal. It is a serious mish-mosh. heart

Oct 18th 2012 new
I'm a convert so zero generations. My Protestant ancestry goes back many generations. The nearest ascendant I can identify with certainty as being Catholic was Sir Edward Waldegrave (there's a wikipedia article for him) who was arrested for his faith and died in the Tower of London under Elizabeth I 450 years ago. I am sure there are some more recent Catholics, especially in some of my Irish ancestors, but I don't have any evidence.
Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine ...
(Quote) Michelle-655299 said:

I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine dates to the 1600s.

--hide--

I hope to figure this out one of these days ----and do a family tree.

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine ...
(Quote) Michelle-655299 said:

I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine dates to the 1600s.

--hide--
As far as we can trace, we were Catholic on my German dad's side and my Irish mom's side from the early part of the ninteenth century.

Posts 11 - 17 of 17