Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Oct 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Sara-598052 said: I haven't dressed up in a long time... but this year, I have an awesome costume! A friend and ...
(Quote) Sara-598052 said:

I haven't dressed up in a long time... but this year, I have an awesome costume! A friend and I are going to tack a giant picture of a dime to our shirts and go as a "paradigm." I'm so excited! :)

--hide--

Hahaha! I love this idea!

I don't usually dress up much, but I'm going to a costume party this year so I need a good costume idea, otherwise I will end up dressing up as a farmer...which is really just an excuse to wear my old ratty clothes, with baler twine for a belt and a wrench in my pocket. Maybe I could go as a ball player? Any other good ideas?

Oct 16th 2012 new

Of course I still dress up. Jack O Lantern I have a party every year and encourage friends to come in appropriate attire. This year a murder mystery is incorporated!

Oct 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has chang...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has changed to a lot more younger people and we have decided to. I usually dress up and go out the weekend before/night with friends. The office costume idea is being part of the Spice Girls and no ideas for parties/out with friends.
--hide--

You have guts bringing up the general subject of Halloween.

I predict that before, this discussion is over, the whole idea of Halloween and those who enjoy will be roasted over the coals by the Catechism literalists. They will go out of their way to point out that the whole thing is Satan centered, just like they condemn the "Santa Lie."

Watch out! INCOMING eyepopping boggled irked irked weeping weeping weeping

Oct 17th 2012 new

My friend is having a "family-friendly" Halloween party where the costume theme is fairy tales. I found an old-fashioned looking dress at a second hand store. I am now looking for accessories to see if I can be "Mother Goose." ;)

Oct 17th 2012 new

i still dress up but i'd do a costume just mickey ears or a funny halloween t-shirt. i do dress my dogs up and go walking around-this year they are the princess and the frog.

Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: You have guts bringing up the general subject of Hal...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

You have guts bringing up the general subject of Halloween.

I predict that before, this discussion is over, the whole idea of Halloween and those who enjoy will be roasted over the coals by the Catechism literalists. They will go out of their way to point out that the whole thing is Satan centered, just like they condemn the "Santa Lie."

Watch out! INCOMING

--hide--

Hi Paul! This was meant to be a lighthearted fun topic. Some of my favorite memories growing up were dressing up for Halloween, trick-or-treating and going to Halloween Parties. I could re-name the thread All-Hallows-Eve and ask everyone which saint they would like to dress up as to prepare for All Saints Day? scratchchin

Oct 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Danielle-750102 said: i still dress up but i'd do a costume just mickey ears or a funny halloween t-shirt. i do dress my dogs ...
(Quote) Danielle-750102 said:

i still dress up but i'd do a costume just mickey ears or a funny halloween t-shirt. i do dress my dogs up and go walking around-this year they are the princess and the frog.

--hide--

Do you participate in any of the dog costume parades? I have friends in LA who go all out with their dogs costumes.
Oct 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Mary-732729 said: Of course I still dress up. I have a party every year and encourage friends to come in appropriate attire. This...
(Quote) Mary-732729 said:

Of course I still dress up. I have a party every year and encourage friends to come in appropriate attire. This year a murder mystery is incorporated!

--hide--

That sounds like a lot of fun and what a great idea to incorporate a murder mystery! I've been to murder mystery dinners and it was a blast! gangster
Oct 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Peter-189584 said: I don't usually dress up much, but I'm going to a costume party this year so I need a g...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

I don't usually dress up much, but I'm going to a costume party this year so I need a good costume idea, p>

--hide--

How about dressing up like a priest (Father Peter) or a Franciscan monk?
Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Hi Paul! This was meant to be a lighthearted fun topic. Some of my favorite memories growing...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said:

Hi Paul! This was meant to be a lighthearted fun topic. Some of my favorite memories growing up were dressing up for Halloween, trick-or-treating and going to Halloween Parties. I could re-name the thread All-Hallows-Eve and ask everyone which saint they would like to dress up as to prepare for All Saints Day?
--hide--

More power to you. It was just a warning. I should have added, that when they hit just ignore them and go on planning and exchanging memories.

It was long time ago, but I still remember many Halloweens from when I was a kid.

I was a Chicago slum kid. Despite the nuns tsk tsking that we went to the YMCA, we had many a great time there. And Halloween was one great party for us kids. They constructed a haunted house with overturned chairs creating a tunnel for us to crawl through with all kinds of spooky obstacles, slaps on the rear and goodies when it was all over.

Trick or treating was fun. People who were mean to us at other times were mean to us on Halloween and as kids we had our chance to get our revenge on them. Matches stuck in doorbells driving them crazy to get them turned off. The really nasty adults got stink bombs made with negative film pieces rolled tightly in a piece of newspaper and lit with a match. The resulting smoke really gave off a horrible smell. Then there was the bars of soap used to mark up store windows. That had the advantage of being easily washed off. In a lot of cases it forced the store owner to actually clean their dirty windows. So we were doing a public service.

With one exception, there was no property damage. The exception? Well the windows of the local publiuc school were fair game. And both us "good" Catholic school kids and the public school kids went at it. But for some reason, both groups had an unspoken understanding that no window of any parochial (Catholic, Jewish or Protestent) school could be touched.

After trick or treating in the Neighborhood, we went to the Y. From there we went to the local playground where the park district had a party for kids going. That was next door to the local public school, hence the window attacks.

When we got a little older we went further afield to a large park about 6 blocks away where another large party was underway for kids in the large field house..

We made our own costums since no way could afford to buy them.

Those were the days before television so there was always a large number of adults out keeping their eye on the kids both to control the mayhem and protect the kids.

Posts 11 - 20 of 49