Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you participate in any of the dog costume parades? I have friends in LA who go all out wi...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said:

Do you participate in any of the dog costume parades? I have friends in LA who go all out with their dogs costumes.
--hide--

i just take my dogs to pet's mart for their costume contest. i could win 10k or actually the dogs could

Oct 18th 2012 new

From 3 years ago. Can you guess which one is me? tongue

Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:From 3 years ago. Can you guess which one is me?
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:

From 3 years ago. Can you guess which one is me?

--hide--

You are the storm trooper, I guarantee it!

Oct 18th 2012 new

Hi,

I am new to this... Ive been reading all your posts and it worries me a little. I understand that in the States Haloween is big event and its part of the country's culture but its very important for all catholics to understand the Church's stand as to this celebration.

I am attaching a link and invite you to read the aricle:

catholicism.about.com a wonderful day!

Extract:

"As Catholics, we should always make sure that our celebration of Halloween is tied to the feast of All Saints Day, and those of us who are parents need to make that connection clear to our children. The best way, of course, is to attend Mass on All Saints Day as a family, especially sinceAll Saints Day is a Holy Day of Obligation."

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Ana

Oct 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has changed to a lo...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has changed to a lot more younger people and we have decided to. I usually dress up and go out the weekend before/night with friends. The office costume idea is being part of the Spice Girls and no ideas for parties/out with friends.
--hide--

Most of the time, YES when the invite says so or I can just wear a bit of a make-up. My facial expression scares enough already. LOL

laughing laughing laughing laughing
Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said: I could re-name the thread All-Hallows-Eve and ask everyone which saint they would like to dres...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said:
I could re-name the thread All-Hallows-Eve and ask everyone which saint they would like to dress up as to prepare for All Saints Day?
--hide--

I always thought if I wanted my theoretical kids to go saints-themed (and if I had a son), St. Sebastian would make an interesting costume. I'm not sure how I'd rig up a costume with a bunch of arrows sticking out of it though. cupid

Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Ana-751665 said: Hi,I am new to this... Ive been reading all your posts and it worries me a little. I unders...
(Quote) Ana-751665 said:

Hi,

I am new to this... Ive been reading all your posts and it worries me a little. I understand that in the States Haloween is big event and its part of the country's culture but its very important for all catholics to understand the Church's stand as to this celebration.

Extract:
"As Catholics, we should always make sure that our celebration of Halloween is tied to the feast of All Saints Day, and those of us who are parents need to make that connection clear to our children. The best way, of course, is to attend Mass on All Saints Day as a family, especially sinceAll Saints Day is a Holy Day of Obligation."

Ana

--hide--

The article at the link you provided is about Fatima.

As to your quote from the article. Yes the origins of Halloween are in fact rooted in the feast of All Saits Day and no Catholic should ever forget that. And that truth conveyed to the children to the extent their minds can absorb it.

But Halloween, as practised in the United States, is strictly a secular holiday of sorts. I say of sorts because it has no official standing, except in the minds of sellers of Halloween costumes and decorations. Any connection to its religious roots is purely coincidental. Nothing is really celebrated or memorialized except fun, mainly children's fun.

Unfortunately like everthing else, there are adults who use it as a vehicle for more sinful activities. But then those people use anything as an excuse.

Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The article at the link you provided is about Fatima. As to your quote from the ar...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The article at the link you provided is about Fatima.

As to your quote from the article. Yes the origins of Halloween are in fact rooted in the feast of All Saits Day and no Catholic should ever forget that. And that truth conveyed to the children to the extent their minds can absorb it.

But Halloween, as practised in the United States, is strictly a secular holiday of sorts. I say of sorts because it has no official standing, except in the minds of sellers of Halloween costumes and decorations. Any connection to its religious roots is purely coincidental. Nothing is really celebrated or memorialized except fun, mainly children's fun.

Unfortunately like everthing else, there are adults who use it as a vehicle for more sinful activities. But then those people use anything as an excuse.

--hide--
Paul, this may not be relevant...but I visited Salem, Massachusetts one time....and I'm sure it is a great town (in fact one of the cleanest cities I've been to) But I saw some odd costumes/attire and weird looking people when I was there. So I talked to one of the townfolk....and said..."Are they just playing-up the (Salem witch-trials) thing or is some of this for real?" He said, "Yes some are doing that and some are real. But if you really want to get "freaked-out" come back at Halloween" (I've never made that trip)

Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has chang...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has changed to a lot more younger people and we have decided to. I usually dress up and go out the weekend before/night with friends. The office costume idea is being part of the Spice Girls and no ideas for parties/out with friends.
--hide--

Not me; I feel very ridiculous in costumes and I don't like to look/seem ridiculous.

Oct 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Ana-751665 said: Hi,I am new to this... Ive been reading all your posts and it worries me a little. I unders...
(Quote) Ana-751665 said:

Hi,

Extract:

Ana

--hide--

I agre with you, Ana. I am of Spanish and Mexican ancestry and while Halloween is traditionally celebrated in most countries these days, in Mexico we celebrate big time the "Day of the Dead", which is November 2nd. Yes, we go to church on All Saints Day, but the big celebrations are on the Day of the Dead. In Mexico, people build very elaborate "altars" to celebrate the lives of their loved ones and go visit relatives to the cemeteries, bring flowers, food, drinks and truly have a party, with other relatives, living and dead. I think it's very festive, allows families to get together again and remember together a loved one that has departed. I am enclosing a couple of links, if anyone would like to learn more about these festivities.

en.wikipedia.org

www.azcentral.com

spanish.about.com

www.inside-mexico.com

Happy Halloween and Dia de los Muertos to everyone!!

Posts 21 - 30 of 49