Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Oct 18th 2012 new
Paul-866591 said: But Halloween, as practised in the United States, is strictly a secular holiday of sorts. I say of sorts because it has no official standing, except in the minds of sellers of Halloween costumes and decorations. Any connection to its religious roots is purely coincidental. Nothing is really celebrated or memorialized except fun, mainly children's fun.

Wonderfully explained Paul and I enjoyed reading about your Halloween shenanigans, I now understand where "trick" originated from. wink
Oct 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said:Wonderfully explained Paul and I enjoyed reading about your Halloween shenanigans, I now unde...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said:

Wonderfully explained Paul and I enjoyed reading about your Halloween shenanigans, I now understand where "trick" originated from.
--hide--

Haha!

Oct 21st 2012 new

I never stopped. I usually go with a group of friends I have going with for a while. There is a stretch of downtown Prescott with a large number of Victorian homes from the 1800s along Mount Vernon Street, we walk that area and go to Starbucks after. It almost always rains on Halloween, so I usually go as someone who would have an umbrella. The last two times I have been James Bond and William F. Buckley. Not sure who I will be this year.

Oct 21st 2012 new

I agree that some adults will use any excuse for turning something into a sinful activity and we cannot be bound by what others do.

When I was growing up, dressing up for Halloween meant wearing an old apron and a ridiculous plastic princess mask from K-Mart. My apron was not evil and neither is K-Mart. Most of my friends dressed up like firemen, princesses, hobos, Smurfs, clowns, doctors, superheros, hockey players, baseball players, chefs, ballerinas, or the "scary" white sheet ghost. We went to the houses in the neighbourhood and got bags full of candy. There were no evil connotations to anything, at least not in the Catholic households. Why can't children dress up in a costume and get candy? If some use it in an evil way, everyone cannot be responsible for that.

Mardi Gras is a Catholic holiday. Are we supposed to wipe it from the calendar and stop eating pancakes because a bunch of drunken idiots in New Orleans use it as an excuse for some debauchery, public nudity and general excess in their consumption of food and drink? (And I know there are wonderful folks in the state of Louisiana who celebrate it in a family-oriented way. smile ) My point is that any holiday that has some social aspect to it can be interpreted different ways. There are people who celebrate Christmas by putting up a tree and they're not even Christian, they just like the social aspects to it. As Catholics, we can live our faith, teach it to our children and still be a part of society. Not allowing your kids to put an apron, or a baseball jersey and get candy seems a little extreme to me. But to each his own. Dove

Oct 21st 2012 new

This year will be my first year dressing up. I'm doing it for my kids, and they picked the costume. If I had known what they were plotting, I MIGHT have given some better guidelines. As it is, I agreed to walk around dressed up as a giant hot dog.

Oct 23rd 2012 new
(Quote) Celia-821539 said: This year will be my first year dressing up. I'm doing it for my kids, and they picked the costume. If I ha...
(Quote) Celia-821539 said:

This year will be my first year dressing up. I'm doing it for my kids, and they picked the costume. If I had known what they were plotting, I MIGHT have given some better guidelines. As it is, I agreed to walk around dressed up as a giant hot dog.

--hide--

What are your kids dressing up as, that they needed a giant hot dog to complete the look??? scratchchin
Oct 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said: What are your kids dressing up as, that they needed a giant hot dog to complete the look???
(Quote) Christina-481695 said:

What are your kids dressing up as, that they needed a giant hot dog to complete the look???
--hide--

I'm hoping ketchup, mustard, and relish? haha!

Oct 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said:go out of their way to point out that the whole thing is Satan centeredWatch out! INCOMING
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:go out of their way to point out that the whole thing is Satan centeredWatch out! INCOMING
--hide--

I like to yell out Devil Worshipers to those who decorate iwth orange and purple lights- but then I never have had a sense of humor duck eyepopping eyepopping mischievous wide eyed Blinded by love angel

Oct 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has chang...
(Quote) Christina-481695 said: Do you still dress up for Halloween? I don't usually dress up at work, but the dynamic has changed to a lot more younger people and we have decided to. I usually dress up and go out the weekend before/night with friends. The office costume idea is being part of the Spice Girls and no ideas for parties/out with friends.
--hide--

Eeeh I cringed ;s. I dress up for Halloween more for my son, it seems to make him very happy when I do, and it can be fun. I say no to work dress up, yes to the weekend parties!

Oct 24th 2012 new

Woot, weekend parties! I still dress-up, I think it's a lot of fun. This past month has been busy and a little stressful at work, so a couple of my co-workes are hosting a "Mad Men" themed Halloween party. Fabulous excuse to find some vintage goodies and get all gussied up!

Posts 31 - 40 of 49