Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

I get bored and my joints ache when I continually trade off running with elliptical training, so I added lap swimming. After the last session it seems I contracted Swimmer's Ear (no fun), so I took time away but am anxious to get back to it. Since I'm a bit ignorant to becoming a dedicated lap swimmer, I have a few questions:

1. How do I calculate accurately the amount of calories I burn? I swim in a 50m pool and try to get at least a mile (1600 meters) per workout.

2. Is there such a thing as a waterproof iPod? I did the internet research, but it seems fishy to me.

3. Does using swim fins improve the quality of your workout, or is it cheating?

4. Best ear protection to use?

5. Best way to prevent Swimmer's Ear? Ear drops?

6. Frequency of workouts?

7. Best way to improve technique?

What else can all of you offer that I've missed?

Oct 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: I get bored and my joints ache when I continually trade off running with elliptical training, so I ...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

I get bored and my joints ache when I continually trade off running with elliptical training, so I added lap swimming. After the last session it seems I contracted Swimmer's Ear (no fun), so I took time away but am anxious to get back to it. Since I'm a bit ignorant to becoming a dedicated lap swimmer, I have a few questions:

1. How do I calculate accurately the amount of calories I burn? I swim in a 50m pool and try to get at least a mile (1600 meters) per workout.

2. Is there such a thing as a waterproof iPod? I did the internet research, but it seems fishy to me.

--hide--

Definitely can relate to the joints aching as we run, Carl. I am in the middle of preparing for my first marathon in December ... praying the right hip and knee cooperate long enough from swimming tons of laps to make it the full 26. 2 miles without injury.

1. Okay, I swim anywhere from 250 to 500 lengths in a 50 metre pool twice daily (morning depends on what time I wake up). A mile takes about 30 minutes (which is about 33 laps or 66 lengths).
The calories burned are not has high as running ... but the strength, the breathing, and full body workout with less stress on our joints is worth every lap. I mix up my laps like one would his running workout. Do sprints like you would when preparing for a race.
I vaguely remember not liking my fitness expert's number when he told me that vigorous swimming for 2 hours would burn anywhere from 1000 to 1250 calories based on a weight. Whereas running the same amount of time, I would burn double the calories. To lose weight, we need to burn 3500 more calories than food we eat daily. ....So in the interest of sanity, I do not think about what calories I am burning. Instead ... enjoy the movement through the water, the peace, breathing, energy pumping through your entire body without the ache of shins or hips or joints protesting!!

2. Not sure about the waterproof Ipod ... I have a regular one for running; but do not use it unless a running friend insists on talking the entire run.

3. The swim flippers / fins whatever you want to call them ... cheating unless you are a SEAL ... I think it is cheating otherwise if it is used all the time. When I first began swimming again, I used them just to help me keep my flutter kick & scissor kick straight for the entire workout. Once my legs adjusted (within a week), I haven't used them since. Plus, ya can't flip easily at the end of a lap with those things on your feet!

4 and 5 ... Thank you you God for not having major ear problems. My sister, also a swimmer, swears by Swimmer's Ear (eardrops). Her three daughters have been prone to them this past summer; as well as she uses it personally.

6. Frequency of workouts ... depends on what your goal is. Are you swimming for fitness? Swimming for health reasons? Swimming because it is easier on the joints as we ... gasp... age? Are you swimming for fun?
When I first arrived in Singapore, my goal was to follow the Navy Seal workout (based on doctor and fitness experts as to why I wanted to incorporate more swimming into my life). Well, the heat here is humid like South Carolina (Tennessee for me) as well as about 35 degrees C on a regular basis. This stopped my daily running; so I swim twice daily and run on weekends (cool mornings with no rush to get to work).
Look at your reasoning for swimming and decide how to incorporate it into your life/workouts.

7. Technique ... if it has been awhile, ask a swim instructor or coach to help you a session or two. Having swam my entire life as well as teaching swimming lessons since I was a pre-teen, I am okay on technique. Have a trusted friend film you if you want to see if your strokes are the best they can be. Be conscious about your strokes and form ... once you get in the groove, the time flies by each workout.

8. Goggles ... I do not like swimming with them ... others swear by them. If you use them, make sure you keep them clean and have an extra pair. I do need to make sure I have eyedrops on hand for when a pool has extra heavy chlorine. Military haircut ... ya don't have to worry about a swim cap.

9. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen if your pool is outdoors.

10. Invest in several swim trunks or suits ... the chlorine has a way of ruining cheaper ones. Plus proper swimsuits like Speedo and such made specifically for swimming (not the beach or lounging by the pool) last much longer even with daily use.

Have fun and best of luck in your pursuit of swim perfection! It is definitely worth the effort!!

Oct 26th 2012 new

Oh, in the beginning, I also used the lap button on my female pink ironman watch. Once I swam a mile consistently between 28 minutes and 32 minutes, I stopped using it for laps and use it for miles swam.

Oct 28th 2012 new

Thanks!! biggrin

Oct 31st 2012 new
I got a waterproof ipod and ear buds for my birthday and I absolutely love it! I got an ipod shuffle that was water-proofed by a company called underwater audio (try amazon). I would also recommend getting water proof ear buds with a short cord so you can attach the ipod to your swim goggles and not have extra cords getting in the way. Good luck and happy swimming!
Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: I get bored and my joints ache when I continually trade off running with elliptical training, so I ...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

--hide--

1. The easiest way to get a rough measure of energy spent is to use a pulse meter (preferably in the form of a wrist watch). The modern ones helps you with the calculations. To really calculate the energy consumption you need to measure how much excess carbon dioxide you produce over your baseline production.

2. I'm sure there are though I've never investigated the matter. To to me the idea of listening to music as I struggle not to throw up from exhaustion during intervall training isn't particulary appealing crazy

3. Depending on your level fins can be a useful tool in various exercises. For backstroke or freestyle-training fins helps you keeping a higher speed which changes your position in the water and allows you to "feel" how it is to swim at the kind of speed you ultimately aim for. For butterfly-training fins helps you get a bit higher as you raise up from the water. This helps you develop a stronger lower back. Finsalso helps you in various kick exercises. A great one is underwater butterfly-kick which is a killer workout for your core muscles.

4. Soft ear plugs which can be bought through any swimgear webstore.

5. There are ear drops based on acetic acid and aluminum acetate which works great for me. Check with your pharmacist.

6. Depends entirely on your level and goals. But a general rule of thumb is at least three times a week in order to maintain the "feel" of the water, which develops after a while if you have good technique or get help developing a good one. Personally I swim 5 times a week, roughly 40 minutes per session. I alternate between intervals and technique-sessions.

7. goswim.tv has a bunch of technique instruction videos. Get help from a real instructor also. Trying all on your own will only lead to you firmly rooting bad technique which is very hard to correct.

I hope this helps you.Good luck! smile

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

--hide--

I haven't invested in a waterproof music device yet but love getting into the pool and doing laps ! You can use ear plugs made of wax to prevent the water going into your ears.. I don't like them but many do use them. Also remember to hold your nose and blow out to clear your ears ..

when I am done swimming I always make sure to BLOW DRY my ear and I shake my head from side to side..

I have heard people even putting a warm candle near their ear to dry them..

Happy Swimming.. It is great exercise ... oh the Fins are Ok too.. you just get more upper body workout as you don't need to kick as much so you are using your arms more.. I also like to use a pull buoy... you put between your legs and it helps keep your legs together and you just use your arms..

God Bless you in your exercise

Kathleen Praying

Posts 1 - 7 of 7