Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Oct 21st 2012 new

Oh, and welcome to the forums, Joe!

Oct 21st 2012 new

I think it's relative. 50 miles is NOT long distance for me. I currently drive 38 miles one way to my job. At one point, I commuted 85 miles one way, and the man I dated for two years lived an additional 10 miles from that office. I have had people an hour from me say that it was entirely too far to contemplate (huh???). Keep looking, when the right person comes along, distance will cease to matter. heart

Oct 21st 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: I think it's relative. 50 miles is NOT long distance for me. I currently drive 38 miles o...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

I think it's relative. 50 miles is NOT long distance for me. I currently drive 38 miles one way to my job. At one point, I commuted 85 miles one way, and the man I dated for two years lived an additional 10 miles from that office. I have had people an hour from me say that it was entirely too far to contemplate (huh???). Keep looking, when the right person comes along, distance will cease to matter.

--hide--

Distance should not make a difference if both pray and work at the relationship and want it to work with the help of the Holy Spirit.

I agree, when the right person comes along, it will not make a difference.

Oct 21st 2012 new

I also agree with the other posters when the right person comes along it will not matter about distance. Be open.

Oct 21st 2012 new

One of our special ladies Tracy met and married a man in Ireland.. She moved to Dublin.. There are a few men and women that have met and married US-AUS.. and US-Phillipines.. Why would 800 miles be such a stretch??

Oct 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Cat-163322 said: "Long Distance" is a rather subjective term. 50 miles might be considered long distance t...
(Quote) Cat-163322 said:

"Long Distance" is a rather subjective term. 50 miles might be considered long distance to some people, while 150 + might be considered long distance. I would think that anything that takes longer than a day to travel both ways, and spend adequate time with someone would be "long distance". And, it depends on the city too. San Antonio is a big city out outer loop (highway) is a 96 mile circle around the city. I've driven 40 miles from my house and still been in San Antonio. So, by that definition (according to some) I could be in a long distance relationship with someone in my own city!

Cat

--hide--

Indy is the same way.. I've never counted the miles 465 stretches around, but I have to figure an hour at least to get from where I live on the south side to locations on the north side.

Oct 21st 2012 new

I know I'm not a typical person in this regard, but I define "long distance" as anything further than a 6-7 hour drive. If I can drive somewhere on a Saturday to spend a few hours, then stay for Mass an lunch on Sunday before heading home, that's close enough for me.

Oct 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Joe-787295 said: I'm trying to gauge what others believe is a long distance relationship. It really stuns me to ...
(Quote) Joe-787295 said:

I'm trying to gauge what others believe is a long distance relationship. It really stuns me to find women contacting me from 800 miles away. I even had emotigrams this week from someone in Mexico and another from Spain. It seems silly to me.

I dated someone from this site for four months; she was 50 miles away. It became very one sided and frustrating. I was doing 95% of the traveling. We tried to talk each day but sometimes it just wasn't possible.

How are the rest of you doing with this. A common complaint I hear is there isn't anyone I found that is close to home. I agree.

Although it is great for the ego to have someone interested in you from another country, it's just not realistic.

--hide--
Sorry to hear you feel that way.It requires love, patienceand commitment.

Oct 21st 2012 new

Joe-

If two people are being led to each other by God, distance doesn't matter. If you allow yourself to be open to the one you feel led to, the details will get worked out and will come through prayer. In the scheme of things, distance is a minor detail. When you meet a potential, use that distance to get to know one another through your communications. I have found that in my case, the distance between my CM "interest" and I has really helped us get acquainted with each other, because, at the moment, its all we have. I look at it this way - when two people physically meet and date, they tend to put their best foot forward. Issues, disagreements, etc may not come to light until a month or several down the road. Some couples won't have their communication skills honed so the dischord may seem bigger than it is. They will get through it if they trust each other but that takes time and communication.

Moral of the story - distance doesn't have to be a disadvantage, if used properly.

Best wishes to you and all LDRs.

Oct 21st 2012 new

(Quote) MaryAlice-415208 said: Long distance relationship ...thank you for making me laugh! Realistic or not, long d...
(Quote) MaryAlice-415208 said:

Long distance relationship ...thank you for making me laugh! Realistic or not, long distance is a factor in love, friendship, and family.

No matter where I have lived when in high school, college, right after college, Tokyo, caring for my Momma and grad school, London, Knoxville, and now Singapore ... just going to see friends could be a 50 mile drive one way. The gentleman I dated for a year and eight months before God re-opened the pathway to international education lived on the other side of the city - in regular normal traffic, it would take 30 minutes to reach each other's houses. Factor in a normal Friday night date and you have rush hour traffic on both sides ....

Distance doesn't matter in today's world of technology. Yes, one may not be able to see the one they love ---or are discerning what the next steps of the courtship are --- on a weekly basis or exactly when he or she wants to see them; but be creative. One of the gentleman I dated while in Tokyo was very creative. He was from the New York office and travelled to London, Hong Kong, Korea, Tokyo, and others while we dated (met in Tokyo) for a year and a bit. E-mails, real snail letters, phone calls, surprise visits, plane tickets and time off arranged with my boss ahead of time, ... chess games against each other on computer while talking on the phone, SKYPE dinner dates, long walks around Tokyo with a map he sent with some of our favourite places ... and we have mutual friends, so the guys joined in making the romantic gestures or inner-office deliveries on some last minute ideas --chocolates, delivery of food from our friend's restaurant for the SKYPE dinner dates or asking me to join them for a night out and he being there as a surprise visit ...

The person that God created for each of us is somewhere out there. A friend asked me about my plans for the holidays. I shared that I wasn't 100 percent yet how I was going to use my three weeks beyond a visit to New York. My next question was a big why? My friend shook his head and waited for me to figure out what he was asking. (Ok, he has known me forever.) It took me a moment; yet, I saw where he was going with it. In my profession as a teacher, I may not be able to take four day weekends or plan a vacation any month of the year. Yet, in my profession, I do have extended holidays throughout the year. Which means whether I am in the US teaching or Singapore teaching, I have some preset holidays ... holidays that one is able to plan around effectively. For example, here in Singapore, I am in school 11 weeks and then we have a two week break. I am in school another 10 weeks and am off 3 weeks for Christmas. In school for x amount of weeks and then have a week break for Chinese New Year. In school about another 8 weeks and then there is a 2 week holiday. In school about 11 more weeks and school is out for six weeks.
... Meaning, no matter where you are in the world, if the person is the one for you, the two of you can be creative about planning time in your day, week, month to "see" each other.

--hide--

Preach it girl!! Put's those gents who can't be bothered to meet a woman in their own city...to shame...go figure...scratchchin

Posts 11 - 20 of 25