Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Oct 27th 2012 new
(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said: "Hail Mary full of Grace the lord is with thee, blessed are thou amongst women and blessed is...
(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said:

"Hail Mary full of Grace the lord is with thee, blessed are thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus"

I heard recently that the Virgin Mary was the person that Loved Jesus so much, that we can learn from her how to Love Jesus more. She always points us and directs us to her son Jesus. So in Mary we have a the most perfect and pure mother who only wishes us to do Her son's will as at the wedding at Cana when she says "Do whatever He tells you " ...

Blessings to us as we try to share the truth of Mary to our fellow Christians that do not understand our beautiful mother's role.

Kathleen

--hide--

Thank you Kathleen!biggrin I have read that Mary is the mold of Christ. When we try to be like Christ on our own, we are like a sculptor chipping away at a block of stone. It's alot of work and mistakes are made easily and often. If we entrust ourselves to Mary, She will melt us and shape us into Christ more easily and more perfectly!biggrin

theheartHoly Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.theheart
Oct 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: Thank you Kathleen! I have read that Mary is the mold of Christ. When we try to be like Chris...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:

Thank you Kathleen! I have read that Mary is the mold of Christ. When we try to be like Christ on our own, we are like a sculptor chipping away at a block of stone. It's alot of work and mistakes are made easily and often. If we entrust ourselves to Mary, She will melt us and shape us into Christ more easily and more perfectly!

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
--hide--

You are very welcome.. If you haven't already done so, consider 33 days of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary St. Louis de Montefort has a devotional and recently I learned of Fr. Hugh Gillespie's book and 33 days to do the consecration.. So much insight we have and what a gift we have in the Virgin Mary.. I have a quote that I just came across and wanted to share from the Marist Brothers " All to Jesus through Mary; All to Mary for Jesus " She is truly the beginning and inspiration for our hope .. God Bless us as we try to imitate Christ and our Blessed Mother.. rosary Praying theheart montfortspirituality.org

Oct 27th 2012 new

In the Hebraic tradition the Queen Mother was someone of importance. This passage shows that. I cannot tell from reading this excerpt exactly what happened, but I do know that The Blessed Mother fills the office or type of Queen Mother as in the former tradition. This was taught to me recently in a Bible study I am in and I need to do my reading for that class.

Oct 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said: (Quote) Valentin-119637 said: Thank you Kathleen! I have read that Mary ...

Quote:
Valentin-119637 said:

Thank you Kathleen! I have read that Mary is the mold of Christ. When we try to be like Christ on our own, we are like a sculptor chipping away at a block of stone. It's alot of work and mistakes are made easily and often. If we entrust ourselves to Mary, She will melt us and shape us into Christ more easily and more perfectly!

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

You are very welcome.. If you haven't already done so, consider 33 days of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary St. Louis de Montefort has a devotional and recently I learned of Fr. Hugh Gillespie's book and 33 days to do the consecration.. So much insight we have and what a gift we have in the Virgin Mary.. I have a quote that I just came across and wanted to share from the Marist Brothers " All to Jesus through Mary; All to Mary for Jesus " She is truly the beginning and inspiration for our hope .. God Bless us as we try to imitate Christ and our Blessed Mother.. montfortspirituality.org

--hide--

Thank you. I will jhave to look up this book you mentioned Kathleen!

Oct 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: I think the verse below is interesting. I have read in the past that Bethsabee represents our ...

I think the verse below is interesting. I have read in the past that Bethsabee represents our Blessed Mother.
And King Solomon represents Jesus. Bethsabee did what Adonias had asked. She asked King Solomon to
give Abisag the Sunamitess to Adonias.

I would be interested to hear what people think.
Did King Solomon refuse his mother's request?

1Kings 2:13 And Adonias the son of
Haggith came to Bethsabee the mother of Solomon. And she said to him: Is thy
coming peaceable? he answered: Peaceable. 14 And he added: I have a
word to speak with thee. She said to him: Speak. And he said: 15 Thou knowest that the
kingdom was nine, and all Israel had preferred me to be their king: but the
kingdom is transferred, and is become my brother's: for it was appointed him by
the Lord. 16 Now therefore
I ask one petition of thee: turn not away my face. And she said to him: Say on.
17 And he said: I pray
thee speak to king Solomon (for he cannot deny thee any thing) to give me Abisag
the Sunamitess to wife. 18 And Bethsabee said: Well,
I will speak for thee to the king.
Then Bethsabee came to

king Solomon, to speak to him for Adonias: and the king arose to meet her, and
bowed to her, and sat down upon his throne: and a throne was set for the king's
mother, and she sat on his right hand. 20 And she said to him: I
desire one small petition of thee, do not put me to confusion. And the king said
to her: My mother, ask: for I must not turn away thy face. 21 And she said: Let Abisag
the Sunamitess be given to Adonias thy brother to wife. 22 And king Solomon answered,
and said to his mother: Why dost thou ask Abisag the Sunamitess for Adonias? ask
for him also the kingdom: for he is my elder brother, and hath Abiathar the
priest, and Joab the son of Sarvia. 23 Then king Solomon swore by
the Lord, saying: So and so may God do to me, and add more, if Adonias hath not
spoken this word against his own life. 24 And now as the Lord
liveth, who hath established me, and placed me upon the throne of David my
father, and who hath made me a house, as he promised, Adonias shall be put to
death this day. 25 And
king Solomon sent by the hand of Banaias the son of Joiada, who slew him, and he
died.

--hide--

Yes, it was a bad request for the King, because it meant that Adonijah sought to be king by asking for Abishag as his wife. Solomon could not be safe while he lived, so he sought him and had him put to death.

Oct 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: I would like to learn more about Mary's mantle. Does anyone know some of the things it...

I would like to learn more about Mary's mantle. Does anyone know some of the things it may represent?

--hide--

Mary's Mantle means she is our protectress. "Protect us with your precious veil"

Oct 27th 2012 new
(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said: You are very welcome.. If you haven't already done so, consider 33 days of Total Consecration to...

You are very welcome.. If you haven't already done so, consider 33 days of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary St. Louis de Montefort has a devotional and recently I learned of Fr. Hugh Gillespie's book and 33 days to do the consecration.. So much insight we have and what a gift we have in the Virgin Mary.. I have a quote that I just came across and wanted to share from the Marist Brothers " All to Jesus through Mary; All to Mary for Jesus " She is truly the beginning and inspiration for our hope .. God Bless us as we try to imitate Christ and our Blessed Mother.. montfortspirituality.org

--hide--

Hi Kathleen, I did my Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary this year on the Feast of the Visitation.biggrin Which Marian Feast did you choose? Thank you for the link! biggrin

This website also provides information on how to prepare for the Total Consecration. biggrin

www.myconsecration.org

God Bless.

Praying
Oct 27th 2012 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: In the Hebraic tradition the Queen Mother was someone of importance. This passage shows that. I cannot tell fro...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

In the Hebraic tradition the Queen Mother was someone of importance. This passage shows that. I cannot tell from reading this excerpt exactly what happened, but I do know that The Blessed Mother fills the office or type of Queen Mother as in the former tradition. This was taught to me recently in a Bible study I am in and I need to do my reading for that class.

--hide--

What happened was King Solomon had Adonias killed because of this request.
Oct 27th 2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Did King Solomon refuse his mother's request? Yes, it was a bad request for the King,...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Yes, it was a bad request for the King, because it meant that Adonijah sought to be king by asking for Abishag as his wife. Solomon could not be safe while he lived, so he sought him and had him put to death.

--hide--

I'm not so sure King Solomon refused his mother's request. From what I understand, Adonias had already tried to become King without King David's blessing. Once King David appointed Solomon as King, Adonias was afraid that he would be killed, but Solomon spared his life. King Solomon told Adonias that as long as he remained good, he would live.

King Solomon knew that Abisag the Sunamitess did not want to marry Adonias, and when he heard this request coming from his mother, he knew that Adonias was actually making this request through his mother. So what could he do? He just finished telling her that he cannot refuse her request. But this was an evil request. He already warned Adonias that he would be killed if he tried to do evil.

So he knew he had to kill Adonias(his first promise). Once Adonias was dead, his mother's request could neither be refused nor granted.

So this is what I think is the moral of the story: Don't ask our Blessed Mother Mary to ask Jesus to do something evil.
Oct 27th 2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: (Quote) Valentin-119637 said: I would like to learn more about Mary's ma...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Quote:
Valentin-119637 said:

I would like to learn more about Mary's mantle. Does anyone know some of the things it may represent?

Mary's Mantle means she is our protectress. "Protect us with your precious veil"

--hide--

Yes, Mary's mantle will protect us as long as we remain humble.
Posts 21 - 30 of 90