Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Nov 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: I can see where you are coming from. I think maybe he took those verses from Douay Rhei...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

I can see where you are coming from. I think maybe he took those verses from Douay Rheims- drbo.org.htm

I think it a play on words and can be very confusing and can easily be misinterpreted. Not sure but did he misspell the word heel to heal? Maybe a typo error.

Also, please note there are two stories of creation. The first creation story is actually the second one that was written and the second creation is the first one that was written. The second creation story is the human one, Chapter 2, here free will was used to choose evil.

Interesting enough is what St. Jerome- The New Jerome Biblical Commentary has to say;

.......The snake is not Satan, though later traditions so interpreted it (e.g. Wis 2:24 ). He is simply a mischievous creature made by God, dramatically necessary to awaken in the woman a desire to eat of the forbidden fruit; he recedes into the background when his narrative function is accomplished. The snake's question in v 1b and the woman's answer in vv-2-3 are both inaccurate interpertations of the originally simple divine command in 2: 16-17.

.......like divine beings knowing good and bad: Elohim, the ordinary name for God in the OT, means "divine beings" when it is used with a pl.vb., as here. At the snake's deceptive assurance, the woman eats and persuades her husband to eat. Their innocence lost through disobedience, they make primitive loincloth.

.......God appears at the afternoon breeze, their sin is not hid from God, to whom they are accountable. The man blames the woman. ( in ironic contrast to 2:23 ) and the woman blames the snake; just punishment will be meted out according to the order of sinning.

.......The snake is cursed, condemned to crawl on its belly , eat dirt, and be forever the enemy of the woman whom he deceived and of her offspring, he shall strike your head; "He" refers to offspring, which is masc. in Hebrew. Christian tradition has sometimes referred it to Christ, but hte literal reference is to the human descendants of Eve, who will regard snakes as enemies.

--hide--

If the video quoted the bible verse from the Douay Bible, then it would have stated(from the DR bible link that you provided):

Genesis 3:[15] I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

I think the video presented something different for Genesis 3:15.
Nov 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: I can see where you are coming from. I ...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

I can see where you are coming from. I think maybe he took those verses from Douay Rheims- drbo.org.htm

I think it a play on words and can be very confusing and can easily be misinterpreted. Not sure but did he misspell the word heel to heal? Maybe a typo error.

Also, please note there are two stories of creation. The first creation story is actually the second one that was written and the second creation is the first one that was written. The second creation story is the human one, Chapter 2, here free will was used to choose evil.

Interesting enough is what St. Jerome- The New Jerome Biblical Commentary has to say;

.......The snake is not Satan, though later traditions so interpreted it (e.g. Wis 2:24 ). He is simply a mischievous creature made by God, dramatically necessary to awaken in the woman a desire to eat of the forbidden fruit; he recedes into the background when his narrative function is accomplished. The snake's question in v 1b and the woman's answer in vv-2-3 are both inaccurate interpertations of the originally simple divine command in 2: 16-17.

.......like divine beings knowing good and bad: Elohim, the ordinary name for God in the OT, means "divine beings" when it is used with a pl.vb., as here. At the snake's deceptive assurance, the woman eats and persuades her husband to eat. Their innocence lost through disobedience, they make primitive loincloth.

.......God appears at the afternoon breeze, their sin is not hid from God, to whom they are accountable. The man blames the woman. ( in ironic contrast to 2:23 ) and the woman blames the snake; just punishment will be meted out according to the order of sinning.

.......The snake is cursed, condemned to crawl on its belly , eat dirt, and be forever the enemy of the woman whom he deceived and of her offspring, he shall strike your head; "He" refers to offspring, which is masc. in Hebrew. Christian tradition has sometimes referred it to Christ, but hte literal reference is to the human descendants of Eve, who will regard snakes as enemies.

If the video quoted the bible verse from the Douay Bible, then it would have stated(from the DR bible link that you provided):

Genesis 3:[15] I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

--hide--

Please explain?

Nov 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: (Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said:
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Quote:
Valentin-119637 said:
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Please explain?

--hide--

The video quotes Gen 3:15 As:

"I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers;He will crush your head, while you strike at his heal."

DR bible quotes Genesis 3:15 As:

" I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel."
Nov 6th 2012 new
The Blessed Mother of God has been given so many beautiful titles. biggrin

One of my favorite is: "Mystical Rose":

St. Bernard of Clairvaux describes Mary under the title of Mystical Rose: "Eve was a thorn,

wounding, bringing death to all; in Mary we see a rose, soothing everybody's hurts, giving

the destiny of salvation back to all. Mary was a rose, white for maidenhood, red for love;

white in body, red in soul; white in her seeking after virtue, red in treading down vice; white

in cleansing her affections, red in mortifying her flesh; white in her love of God, red in

compassion for her neighbor"

Do others have a favorite title for The Blessed Mother of God? theheart
Nov 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: The Blessed Mother of God has been given so many beautiful titles. One of my favorite is: &qu...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: The Blessed Mother of God has been given so many beautiful titles.

One of my favorite is: "Mystical Rose":

St. Bernard of Clairvaux describes Mary under the title of Mystical Rose: "Eve was a thorn,

wounding, bringing death to all; in Mary we see a rose, soothing everybody's hurts, giving

the destiny of salvation back to all. Mary was a rose, white for maidenhood, red for love;

white in body, red in soul; white in her seeking after virtue, red in treading down vice; white

in cleansing her affections, red in mortifying her flesh; white in her love of God, red in

compassion for her neighbor"

Do others have a favorite title for The Blessed Mother of God?
--hide--

Our Lady of Sorrows (Virgen Dolorosa). Whenever one is confronted by a problem that brings so much sorrows in his/her life, Our Lady of Sorrows will lift the sorrows away from us. Valentin, you have so much devotion to Our Mother Mary as I see in your knowledge about her in all your post. You are just like Pope Paul II. He was devoted to Mother Mary ever since he was young. You must have a very good mother; parents as well.

Nov 6th 2012 new

[quote]Liberacion-894835 said:

Our Lady of Sorrows (Virgen Dolorosa). Whenever one is confronted by a problem that brings so much sorrows in his/her life, Our Lady of Sorrows will lift the sorrows away from us. Valentin, you have so much devotion to Our Mother Mary as I see in your knowledge about her in all your post. You are just like Pope Paul II. He was devoted to Mother Mary ever since he was young. You must have a very good mother; parents as well.

[/quote

and one more, you would be a good husband because you have so much respect and love for a woman. Too bad, I am not searching for a husband yet, and I am too old to think about that about you. Just love our exchanges of thoughts; gives me more wisdom.

Nov 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Our Lady of Sorrows (Virgen Dolorosa). Whenever one is confronted by a problem that brings...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

--hide--

Thank you for your kind words, though I'm not sure that Pope John Paul II would want to be compared to me! laughing

Yes, I do have very good parents! biggrin My mother had a great devotion to The Blessed Mother of God. I think a small part of that devotion was transferred to me after she passed away.
Nov 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: (Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Our Lady of Sorrows (Virge...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

[quote]Liberacion-894835 said:

[/quote

and one more, you would be a good husband because you have so much respect and love for a woman. Too bad, I am not searching for a husband yet, and I am too old to think about that about you. Just love our exchanges of thoughts; gives me more wisdom.

--hide--

Our Lady of Sorrows is a beautiful title! However, it does make me very sad when I think of the great sorrows that The Blessed Mother of God needed to endure in this world.

Thank you for your kinds words. I'm learning alot from you too! biggrin

God Bless. Praying
Nov 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: Our Lady of Sorrows is a beautiful title! However, it does make me very sad when I think of t...

Our Lady of Sorrows is a beautiful title! However, it does make me very sad when I think of the great sorrows that The Blessed Mother of God needed to endure in this world.

Thank you for your kinds words. I'm learning alot from you too!

God Bless.
--hide--
You know, every time I think about my sorrows and I run for comfort to Our Lady of Sorrows, I feel very small and helpless thinking that her sorrows was the heaviest of all. You may not be able to feel this because you are a man, but imagine if you are a mother seeing your son carrying a heavy cross towards his death, and being mocked around by people on the way, and to be hanged naked for the public to see (Note. Jesus Christ was hanged naked on the cross as their way of humiliating him, but Our Church would not do that in his replica, so he is partially covered.) I had a trying time with my children. My girl was diagnosed with a malignant bone cancer at age 10 called "osteosarcoma". She lost her left leg, underwent a chemotherapy , rehab, and now walks with an artificial leg. My son had a brain surgery caused by aneurysm; a portion of his brain was removed damaged by internal bleeding, and now half of his body is semi-paralyzed causing him to limp. Added to this I had a husband who was emotionally, physically, and verbally abusive, who was bitter to me when these things happened. On these ordeals I run to Our Lady of Sorrow for comfort. Now my children are both accountants, my boy a CPA, and work with big oil companies here in Houston and I am free. My sorrows were very little compared to that of Our Mother Mary.

Nov 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: Hi Kathleen, I did my Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary this year on the Feast of the ...

Hi Kathleen, I did my Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary this year on the Feast of the Visitation. Which Marian Feast did you choose? Thank you for the link!

This website also provides information on how to prepare for the Total Consecration.

www.myconsecration.org

God Bless.

--hide--

Hi Valenin .. I did the consecration twice .. my first time use St Louis de montefort's book and finished on the Feast of the Annunciation March 25th.. I hear that is a popular feast day because that is when the Virgin Mary conceived and said yes to God.. just like we are called to do.. the second time I made the consecration the same time you did.. on The Feast of the Visitation. What a wonderful treasure we have in our Virgin Mary's role and how she can help us be more and more like Christ.. We need her in these turbulant times of the world. God bless you and thank you for your insights..

Pray and make sacrifices .. the time is now..

Peace and Prayers,
Kathleen Praying rosary theheart

Posts 71 - 80 of 90