Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

What is courtship?

Oct 24th 2012 new

can someone tell me what is courtship and how it differs from dating? i feel like i'm missing something here. thanks in advance wave

Oct 24th 2012 new

Danielle,

I think of courtship being different from dating because of the intent. Dating seems to be more casual, meeting lots of different people, and you may or may not be in it for the long haul. With courtship your focus and intent from the very beginning is marriage. You are seeing if this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and are preparing yourself for that. Courtship to me is more serious than dating (although courting couples still have fun!) and can move a little more slowly, but is much more romantic than a casual boyfriend. Just my 2 cents :)

Oct 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Jessica-766671 said: Danielle, I think of courtship being different from dating because of the intent. Da...
(Quote) Jessica-766671 said:

Danielle,

I think of courtship being different from dating because of the intent. Dating seems to be more casual, meeting lots of different people, and you may or may not be in it for the long haul. With courtship your focus and intent from the very beginning is marriage. You are seeing if this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and are preparing yourself for that. Courtship to me is more serious than dating (although courting couples still have fun!) and can move a little more slowly, but is much more romantic than a casual boyfriend. Just my 2 cents :)

--hide--

Thanks for the response, Jessica. So I guess my question is that instead of asking someone to date you are more like "can I court you?" And from the get go you want to marriage each other or are you open to marrying each other? Does my question even make sense?

Oct 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Danielle-750102 said: Thanks for the response, Jessica. So I guess my question is that instead of asking so...
(Quote) Danielle-750102 said:

Thanks for the response, Jessica. So I guess my question is that instead of asking someone to date you are more like "can I court you?" And from the get go you want to marriage each other or are you open to marrying each other? Does my question even make sense?

--hide--

I would say it's when you are both in a place where marriage is a reasonable possibility in the near future (for example, you're not 15 and many years away from being able to be married), you both would like to be married and are searching for a spouse, and you are dating each other to see if you would be a good marriage match.

It's marriage-minded dating instead of dating just for the heck of it, dating to kill time, dating even though you can't or don't want to get married, etc.

I think a mutual decision that you want to marry each other is when engagement comes in.

Oct 25th 2012 new

You kind of lost me on the question, lol! But I think Laura below answers it perfectly. Courting another person does not 100% guarantee that you are going to marry each other, that would be an engagement. But it's a "dating" (for lack of a better word) relationship that is focused on marriage from the onset. You are entering a relationship with the goal of marriage in mind, not just dating to have a good time not really sure or caring if what you are entering is for the long term.

Oct 25th 2012 new

oooooh okay i get it now!! thanks ladies

Oct 27th 2012 new

Along with being more "marriage minded", from what I understand courtship is also a more chaste way of getting to know someone. Physical contact is limited. Time spent together is in group settings, often with friends and/or family. When you do go somewhere just the two of you it is in a public setting where it is easier to maintain boundaries since you're surrounded by other people.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7