Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

I'm getting so tired of working and writing about campaign/election stuff, that I thought I would write/talk about my favorite topic - vacations and travel! So, as an older single (over 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 - you get the picture), do you travel by yourself, with friends, relatives, organized groups? And, where do you go - what cities, countries, continents? What kind of vacations do you enjoy - relaxing on the beach, kayaking in the ocean, trekking up mountain, watching theatre/concerts in NY or big city, driving around the country, backpacking around Europe, volunteering in Africa, etc., visiting museums in DC, or just hanging around a relative's/friend's house somewhere?

And,perhaps most importantly to us here on CM, have you ever met someone special (as in a future date, significant other, potential mate) on any of these vacations? If so, where, when and what were you doing when you met this person and did it end up in a dating relationship or just an enjoyable dinner in your favorite place?

Oct 25th 2012 new

Allright, doesn't anyone besides myself take vacations here? So, I've got another trip planned to one of my very favorite places - Puerto Vallarta. I've been going down there off and on since the early 80's - usually by myself for just a few 4-5 days at a time. For the last several years though, I 've been going down there for about a month each winter to get away from the cold here. It's an easy trip I think for a single person, particularly if you stay in the old town (also called the Romantic Zone) south of the river (Rio Cuale) rather than staying in the hotel zone or marina where it is mostly couples or families. The Romantic Zone is on the beach and several blocks inland (although not the best beach of the Pacific) and has many outdoor restaurants (many of them excellent), cafes, shops, art galleries (with a Wed. night gallery walk in season), free evening outdoor entertainment on Fri. nights (Mexican folk dancers), lost of mariachis or other street musicians strolling around or at restaurants, and is a 10 minute walk or so to the Catholic Church - of the Virgin of Guadalupe. I've ALWAYS had a good time there, and now have friends that go down there also (from Canada mostly) that I see while I'm down there. And, yes, I've had the occasional dinner date with someone I met there (or in one case was set up with by some of my Winnipeg friends), but nothing that ended up in a relationship (but one can always hope). So, I'm getting excited about going there again as I'm heading down after Thanksgiving for a few weeks, and so will be there during the feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe and in Puerto Vallarta there are nightly processions (and a bit of a fiesta) starting Dec. 1 through Dec. 12!

So, doesn't anyone else have any favorite places - particularly ones they could or would travel to on their own?

Oct 25th 2012 new
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Allright, doesn't anyone besides myself take vacations here? So, I've got another trip planned to on...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Allright, doesn't anyone besides myself take vacations here? So, I've got another trip planned to one of my very favorite places - Puerto Vallarta. I've been going down there off and on since the early 80's - usually by myself for just a few 4-5 days at a time. For the last several years though, I 've been going down there for about a month each winter to get away from the cold here. It's an easy trip I think for a single person, particularly if you stay in the old town (also called the Romantic Zone) south of the river (Rio Cuale) rather than staying in the hotel zone or marina where it is mostly couples or families. The Romantic Zone is on the beach and several blocks inland (although not the best beach of the Pacific) and has many outdoor restaurants (many of them excellent), cafes, shops, art galleries (with a Wed. night gallery walk in season), free evening outdoor entertainment on Fri. nights (Mexican folk dancers), lost of mariachis or other street musicians strolling around or at restaurants, and is a 10 minute walk or so to the Catholic Church - of the Virgin of Guadalupe. I've ALWAYS had a good time there, and now have friends that go down there also (from Canada mostly) that I see while I'm down there. And, yes, I've had the occasional dinner date with someone I met there (or in one case was set up with by some of my Winnipeg friends), but nothing that ended up in a relationship (but one can always hope). So, I'm getting excited about going there again as I'm heading down after Thanksgiving for a few weeks, and so will be there during the feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe and in Puerto Vallarta there are nightly processions (and a bit of a fiesta) starting Dec. 1 through Dec. 12!

So, doesn't anyone else have any favorite places - particularly ones they could or would travel to on their own?

--hide--

I took a road trip last summer - loved LA, Al and Ga
Oct 25th 2012 new

I work in a job where I get 5 weeks vacation a year but I am not allowed to go away for more than 7 workdays at a time. This really puts the cramp on my penchant for taking off to Europe. I just came back from a 10 day vacation to California where I stayed with friends, rented a car an took off to visit wineries and photograph at local audubons by myself. I have been by myself so long that I just decide where I want to go and just take off- everything from wandering around Italy by train and bus to camping in the North Woods of Maine. I would love to have a companion to travel to the Nation Parks with though. Being alone, I will not hike a mountain because of the safety factor nor do I feel like I would do an extended road trip staying in motels etc.

Oct 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I took a road trip last summer - loved LA, Al and Ga
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I took a road trip last summer - loved LA, Al and Ga
--hide--

i'd love to take on a road trip if i can find a companion to share the road trip with me.

Oct 27th 2012 new
(Quote) Pearl-95477 said: i'd love to take on a road trip if i can find a companion to share the road...
(Quote) Pearl-95477 said:

i'd love to take on a road trip if i can find a companion to share the road trip with me.

--hide--

I invited my niece along on my road trip. It was a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 27th 2012 new

CM-related travel/vacations? All five of my last trips fit this description, four times to CM event (Orlando, San Antonio, and Colorado twice), and once to a secret destination that I probably would never have traveled if not for this website.

I've also gone on group tours of Poland twice with my parish. This was a nice way to visit somewhere, without the worries of getting around by myself and making arrangements in a non-English speaking country.

I also don't mind wandering off on my own, too (having a melancholic choleric temperment)

Oct 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: CM-related travel/vacations? All five of my last trips fit this description, four times to CM ev...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

CM-related travel/vacations? All five of my last trips fit this description, four times to CM event (Orlando, San Antonio, and Colorado twice), and once to a secret destination that I probably would never have traveled if not for this website.

I've also gone on group tours of Poland twice with my parish. This was a nice way to visit somewhere, without the worries of getting around by myself and making arrangements in a non-English speaking country.

I also don't mind wandering off on my own, too (having a melancholic choleric temperment)

--hide--

A secret destination? How intriguing - can't you share it with your fellow CM'ers here?

Oct 27th 2012 new

I have always wanted to go on a cruse, but don't like the idea of going alone. With a crowd I am always the 5th wheel.

Oct 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Jane-794001 said: I have always wanted to go on a cruse, but don't like the idea of going alone. With a crowd I ...
(Quote) Jane-794001 said:

I have always wanted to go on a cruse, but don't like the idea of going alone. With a crowd I am always the 5th wheel.

--hide--

Hi Jane, welcome to the forums! There is a internet site I found which is aimed at helping connect people for travel. I can't vouch for it, and one always has to be careful of meeting people online. But, you might want to look at it to see if you could find another woman wanting to travel (if none of your friends want to). The site iswww.travbuddy.com. To communicate with other travelers, I think there is a one-time fee of $10 and that's it - no recurring charges. Another thought might be to find a cruise going through one of the Catholic travel groups so that you would be travelling with fellow Catholics.

Posts 1 - 10 of 36