Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

11/01/2012 new
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: In John 8:1-11 A crowd brought before Jesus Christ for judgment a woma...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:
Quote:
Liberacion-894835 said:

In John 8:1-11 A crowd brought before Jesus Christ for judgment a woman caught in adultery. It was said that Jesus Christ points his finger to the ground ( or was writing something on the ground). Any idea what he was writing about?

If I were to take a guess, I would say that Jesus was writing down something that would help the crowd understand that God is the only One that has a right to condemn this woman.
--hide--

Your right on it. biggrin
11/01/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: www.vatican.va Ask the pope. Go to verse 9, please. ...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

www.vatican.va

Ask the pope. Go to verse 9, please.

--hide--
Good info Cindy. Thanks.

11/01/2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Talking of St. Louis de Monfort, I have a copy of his book "True Devotion to Mary.&qu...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

Talking of St. Louis de Monfort, I have a copy of his book "True Devotion to Mary." It was given to me by a mysterious woman who I never knew until now who she was. I was in the hospital watching my 24-year old son after a brain surgery from aneurysm, I fell asleep with my head leaning on the side of his bed. Around 2:00 o'clock AM a woman woke me up. She said I should not worry about my son, he will be okay. She talked to me about her son having the same situation as my son. How she gave everything to God by trusting Him. When she left, she gave me the book. She wrote her name and the telephone number at the back. She said she worked in that hospital where my son was as a nurse. Then I went back to sleep when she left. When I woke up in the morning, I inquired the nurses that worked there if they knew who that nurse was by giving her name. No one knew her. I called the telephone number, no one answered. Two days after, a nurse approached me telling me that their was a woman asking them how my son was doing. I asked them if they knew her; no one did. What do you think was her message. I went over the book and there is a membership registration requirement and some devotional obligations. I was not able to do it, but since then, I always feel the presence of Mother Mary in my life. I have so many testimonials of her presence.

--hide--

This is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing! biggrin
11/01/2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Yes there were all kinds of trees in the garden, and I am not sure if they had manged to eat the fruit fro...

Yes there were all kinds of trees in the garden, and I am not sure if they had manged to eat the fruit from each one, no, they still didn't eat from the Tree of Life yet, but did eat the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge, so God made every kind of tree bearing fruits, and also He place two special trees in the middle of the garden. If Adam and Eve would of ate from the Tree of Life than they would no longer had been humans but would of became immortals.
--hide--

Aren't our souls immortal? Does this not make us immortal?
11/01/2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Yes there were all kinds of trees in the garden, a...
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Yes there were all kinds of trees in the garden, and I am not sure if they had manged to eat the fruit from each one, no, they still didn't eat from the Tree of Life yet, but did eat the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge, so God made every kind of tree bearing fruits, and also He place two special trees in the middle of the garden. If Adam and Eve would of ate from the Tree of Life than they would no longer had been humans but would of became immortals.

--hide--

sorry then I used the wrong word. If they would of ate the fruit from the tree of life, they would of ceased to be finite and human.

11/01/2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: sorry then I used the wrong word. If they would of ate the fruit from the tree of life, they would ...

sorry then I used the wrong word. If they would of ate the fruit from the tree of life, they would of ceased to be finite and human.

--hide--

No worries. As mentioned earlier, Mary is the Tree of Life and Jesus is the Fruit of this Tree. Therefore aren't we eating from the Tree of Life when we receive Holy Communion?
11/01/2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: sorry then I used the wrong word. If th...
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

No worries. As mentioned earlier, Mary is the Tree of Life and Jesus is the Fruit of this Tree. Therefore aren't we eating from the Tree of Life when we receive Holy Communion?
--hide--

immortal souls...... www.newadvent.org

Yes, I would consider as eating from the Tree of Life, in this way. But the tree of life as it sat in the garden wpuld have made the man as a god, no longer human.

11/02/2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Yes there were all kinds of trees in the garde...
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

--hide--

Just to go back here for a minute, of where I was coming from, it is said our souls are immortal, however we are not immortals?

Am I getting confused? Are we not considered mortal beings?

Jerome Biblical Commentary writes;

In Genesis.......Gen. 2:15 resumes to the additional remark that the earth creature is to cultivate the garden. A limit is place on his mastery; he is not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and bad. .....you shall die: ; To die; here means to be cut off, excluded from community with God, as in Ezek 18 and in other P texts; the man and woman will be driven from the garden of God, not killed.

........ a different anthropology in early Judaism and Christianity insisted that God made humans incorruptible ( Wis 2:23; Romans 5:12 ), and from this arose the Christian theological tradition that death is a result of sin.

......In the Ancient Near East, not to die would mean that one would have to become a god since only the gods were immortal.

Wisdom 2:23-24

23:
For God formed man to be imperishable;
the image of his own nature he made him.
24:
But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world,
and they who are in his possession experience it.

Romans 5:12

" Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world and with sin death,

death thus coming to all men inasmuch as all sinned-

before the law there was sin in the world, even though sin is not imputed when there is no law--

I say, from Adam to Moses death reigned, even over those who had not sinned by breaking a precept as did Adam, that type of the man to come."

Are we immortal? Or are we mortal beings?

11/02/2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: (Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Yes there were...

Quote:
Valentin-119637 said:
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Just to go back here for a minute, of where I was coming from, it is said our souls are immortal, however we are not immortals?

Am I getting confused? Are we not considered mortal beings?

Jerome Biblical Commentary writes;

In Genesis.......Gen. 2:15 resumes to the additional remark that the earth creature is to cultivate the garden. A limit is place on his mastery; he is not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and bad. .....you shall die: ; To die; here means to be cut off, excluded from community with God, as in Ezek 18 and in other P texts; the man and woman will be driven from the garden of God, not killed.

........ a different anthropology in early Judaism and Christianity insisted that God made humans incorruptible ( Wis 2:23; Romans 5:12 ), and from this arose the Christian theological tradition that death is a result of sin.

......In the Ancient Near East, not to die would mean that one would have to become a god since only the gods were immortal.

Wisdom 2:23-24

23:
For God formed man to be imperishable;
the image of his own nature he made him.
24:
But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world,
and they who are in his possession experience it.

Romans 5:12

" Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world and with sin death,

death thus coming to all men inasmuch as all sinned-

before the law there was sin in the world, even though sin is not imputed when there is no law--

I say, from Adam to Moses death reigned, even over those who had not sinned by breaking a precept as did Adam, that type of the man to come."

Are we immortal? Or are we mortal beings?

--hide--

My understanding is that our bodies are mortal, our souls are immortal.
11/03/2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: My understanding is that our bodies are mortal, our souls are immortal.

My understanding is that our bodies are mortal, our souls are immortal.
--hide--

Only death divides the mortal and the immortal, before death we are mortal beings. When death happens, the body which is corruptible becomes dust; but our soul continues because it is immortal. Gen 3:19; Letter to the Romans 8:5-6

Posts 41 - 50 of 63