Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

11/03/2012 new

Next time, for the sake of discussion, a shorter verse please. If in total, this was to be assigned a topic, it would be difficult to find except that Paul specifies more then once that these are his personal opinions. I seems odd in that they are contained as scripture. Do I have opinions on what is addressed? Sure. Do I have conflicting arguments? Sure. Pauls own life and conversion is one example. However, I am not in judgement of Paul, but am graced to develope my own conscience and for that I am responsible.

11/03/2012 new

okay, forgive me I will not doc sources in scripture but Jesus said he "came that we might have life and have it abundantly." Thereby his death releaving us of the repression of our sinfulness and in his decending into hell following his death He redeemed our debt. In his rising from death He stood in proof before us that He was God and had fulfilled his promise to redeem us from our familiarity with the knowledge of good and evil. By that personal intervention of Christ we are adopted and again restored to the freedom of the tree of life, and given the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Upon the death of this body we are in heaven given new bodies.

11/03/2012 new

Unfortunately, although it is all based in scripture, I would have to spend a week to search it all to document not to mention explain it. So please accept my apology that I refer to it with common knowledge.

11/03/2012 new

(Quote) Barb-697255 said: Unfortunately, although it is all based in scripture, I would have to spend a week to search it al...
(Quote) Barb-697255 said:

Unfortunately, although it is all based in scripture, I would have to spend a week to search it all to document not to mention explain it. So please accept my apology that I refer to it with common knowledge.

--hide--
Barb, it is okay for you to join even without citing a biblical source. What is important here is that you have some understanding of what the Scriptures are saying. You are most welcome to this topic Barb.

11/05/2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Only death divides the mortal and the immortal, before death we are mortal beings. When de...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

Only death divides the mortal and the immortal, before death we are mortal beings. When death happens, the body which is corruptible becomes dust; but our soul continues because it is immortal. Gen 3:19; Letter to the Romans 8:5-6

--hide--

I agree that our bodies are mortal, and our soul is immortal. Does that make us mortal or immortal beings? Since my soul, which is the most important part of me is immortal, I like to think of myself as immortal.biggrin

Romans 8:5 For they that are according to the flesh, mind the things that are of the flesh; but they that are according to the spirit, mind the things that are of the spirit. 6 For the wisdom of the flesh is death; but the wisdom of the spirit is life and peace.
11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: I agree that our bodies are mortal, and our soul is immortal. Does that make us mortal or imm...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:

I agree that our bodies are mortal, and our soul is immortal. Does that make us mortal or immortal beings? Since my soul, which is the most important part of me is immortal, I like to think of myself as immortal.

Romans 8:5 For they that are according to the flesh, mind the things that are of the flesh; but they that are according to the spirit, mind the things that are of the spirit. 6 For the wisdom of the flesh is death; but the wisdom of the spirit is life and peace.
--hide--

Because we are still alive, we are mortals. Mortal as defined in the dictionary is "being subject to death", but on the philosophical point of view only our physical features are mortal, but we have inside our mortal body an immortal soul. so we are free to also think of ourselves as an immortal being.

11/05/2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: (Quote) Valentin-119637 said: I agree that our bodies are mortal, and our soul is ...

Quote:
Valentin-119637 said:

I agree that our bodies are mortal, and our soul is immortal. Does that make us mortal or immortal beings? Since my soul, which is the most important part of me is immortal, I like to think of myself as immortal.

Because we are still alive, we are mortals. Mortal as defined in the dictionary is "being subject to death", but on the philosophical point of view only our physical features are mortal, but we have inside our mortal body an immortal soul. so we are free to also think of ourselves as an immortal being.

--hide--
We are not immortal beings, so we cannot freely say we are.
11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: I think this topic will make us read the Bible and share with the others what we think about...

I think this topic will make us read the Bible and share with the others what we think about it. If we go off the line, a Moderator will clarify. Let me begin:

What say you about 1 Corinthians 7:1-39

--hide--

Thank you Liberacion. faint Nope, nope. I will not comment on this one. It's like opening Pandora's Box and I have very strong opinions about it. faint heart Chicken???

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: We are not immortal beings, so we cannot freely say we are.
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: We are not immortal beings, so we cannot freely say we are.
--hide--

I understand that Cindy. that is why I said "philosophically speaking" because we have as our premise on the positive tone that Our souls are immortal, We have souls, therefore, we are immortals and on the negative premise - To be immortal is not to die, our bodies die, therefore we are not immortal. Both ways are acceptable reasoning but could be questionable. "Being" is existence and both our are bodies and our souls exist. We are a composite of body and soul, so realistically, we are both mortals and immortals.

11/06/2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: We are not immortal beings, so we cannot freely s...

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said: We are not immortal beings, so we cannot freely say we are.

I understand that Cindy. that is why I said "philosophically speaking" because we have as our premise on the positive tone that Our souls are immortal, We have souls, therefore, we are immortals and on the negative premise - To be immortal is not to die, our bodies die, therefore we are not immortal. Both ways are acceptable reasoning but could be questionable. "Being" is existence and both our are bodies and our souls exist. We are a composite of body and soul, so realistically, we are both mortals and immortals.

--hide--

1 Timothy 1:17 'To the King of ages, the immortal, the invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever! Amen.

1 Timothy 6:14-16

"I charge you to keep God's command without blame or reproach until our Lord Jesus Christ shall appear. This appearance God will bring to pass at his chosen time.
He is the blessed and only ruler, the King of Kings and Lord of lords who alone has immortality and who dwells in unapproachable light,
whom no human being has ever seen or can see.
To him be honor and everlasting rule! Amen.

Immortal souls and undesirable immortality.

Luke 15:19-26

" Once there was a rich man who dressed in purple and linen and feasted splendidly every day.

At his gate lay a beggar named Lazarus who was covered with sores. Lazarus longed to eat the scraps that fell from the rich man's table.

The dogs even came and licked his sores. Eventually the beggar died. He was carried by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man likewise died and was buried. From the abode of the dead where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus resting in his bosom.

He called out, "Father Abraham. have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip his finger in water to refresh my tongue, for I am tortured in these flames.' "My child", replied Abraham, 'remember thatyou were well off in your lifetime, while Lazarus was in misery. Now he has found consolation here, but you have found torment. And that is not all. Between you and us there is fixed a great abyss, so that those who might wish to cross from here to you cannot do so, nor can anyone cross from your side to us."

Our immortal souls but our mortal being- human beings are mortal beings, and immortality is a gift from God, so do you think that we have two natures? One that is human and divine?

Posts 51 - 60 of 63