Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Nov 13th 2012 new

i went to a Catholic school for 12 years where the Dominican nuns taught. we attended Mass in the cafeteria every Friday. Needless to say,Mass was in latin for years. we followed the Mass with a missalet. i don't remember the songs, but assumed they were in latin also. this town was on the eastern shore of maryland.

Dec 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Eric-114571 said: Are these done regularly? I heard that pre-Vatican II they had their own rite done in Latin, but I...
(Quote) Eric-114571 said:

Are these done regularly? I heard that pre-Vatican II they had their own rite done in Latin, but I'm too young to have ever seen it.

--hide--

Up until about 40 years ago the Dominican Rite was the second most common form of the holy Sacrifice in the Catholic Church. My dad tells me that it was a regular staple of Catholic life to have Dominican preachers to walk from parish to parish, preach, teach and then move on to the next parish. If you really want to see one in person fly to Anchorage, Alaska and visit the cathedral parish. It is run by Dominicans.

I fancy the use of more than two voices, and the preparation of the chalice before the Introit.

The rite is still intermittently used throughout the continental United States

Posts 11 - 12 of 12