Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

After a posting someone made in my Travel thread in the Over 45 Room, I started wondering if anyone here would be interested in a CM vacation in Playa del Carmen and/or the Riviera Maya south of it along the Mexican Coast?

Time wise, I'm thinking of sometime in latter January or early February (when the holidays are over, the North has settled into a deep freeze, and the winter doldrums are upon us). I normally go to Mexico for a month from mid-Jan to mid-Feb on the Pacific coast, but I would love to go to the other coast (more Caribbean like) this year. And, I've been thinking of a shorter vacation this year - likely a few weeks. But, it could be arranged that we choose one week or two in which CM people if they were interested could come down for however long they like. Airfare from the U.S. is fairly inexpensive and direct to Cancun (and, I think there is an airport also in Playa del Carmen too).

I really just want to see if there is any interest by CM members? And, I'm going to start looking into hotels (NOT luxury and NOT dumpy - but more mid-range since I try to travel on a budget). People could either stay in their own rooms or perhaps find someone to share with to cut down cost. If anyone knows of any hotels down there that are reasonably priced within a few blocks of the beach, please let me know.

So, is anyone up for a vacation on the golden white sands of the Mexican coast with fellow CM members? I believe there is good snorkeling and scuba diving down there too (neither of which I do), but perhaps someone else might know about this? I do know there are good restaurants in Mexico in all price ranges (but generally cheaper than in the major cities of the U.S.) And, I always find many Catholic churches available. Oh, and I think there are also some Mayan ruins in this area!

11/11/2012 new

Wow ! Yeah come to Mexico ! You're more than welcome ! :)

11/11/2012 new

Hi Patricia, I love going south and would be interested in meeting up!

11/11/2012 new

(Quote) Helene-345424 said: Hi Patricia, I love going south and would be interested in meeting up!
(Quote) Helene-345424 said:

Hi Patricia, I love going south and would be interested in meeting up!

--hide--

I haven't done any planning for Jan/Feb. yet, but I will be in Puerto Vallarta Nov. 28-Dec. 15 if anyone plans to be down there. Do you head south for the winter, Helene?

11/11/2012 new

(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said: Wow ! Yeah come to Mexico ! You're more than welcome ! :)
(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said:

Wow ! Yeah come to Mexico ! You're more than welcome ! :)

--hide--

Thank you, Alma Rosa, I've been coming to Mexico since about 1980 (before you were born!) I love Mexico, and only sorry now that the areas I like are starting to be infiltrated by the drug gangs. I've never been to Queretaro, though. I have been to Cancun, Merida, Ixtapa, Huatulco, Sonora Bay area, and Puerto Vallarta. (I think that's it!)

11/11/2012 new

+

JMJ

Patricia,

I would love to join a CM gathering .... I was just checking prices for flights just now in Jan. Great minds think alike ! I will keep checking for details ~ Thanks and God Bless you all

Marianne

11/11/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-775051 said: + JMJ Patricia, I would love to join a CM gathering .... I was j...
(Quote) Marianne-775051 said:

+

JMJ

Patricia,

I would love to join a CM gathering .... I was just checking prices for flights just now in Jan. Great minds think alike ! I will keep checking for details ~ Thanks and God Bless you all

Marianne

--hide--

Hi Marianne, airfare should not be a problem. I have started checking hotels though, and mid to lower price hotels that are good tend to book up a year in advance in Mexico. But, I've sent out one email so far. Right now, I'm looking in Play del Carmen, but would welcome any ideas/suggestions.

11/12/2012 new

Patricia, I am going to Cuba from December 8th to the 15th. I work full time and also host international students so I cannot go as often as I like. I really love Mexico too. I have been to Puerto Vallarta and many other places in Mexico. I actually spent a summer there when I was 21. I am always looking for a traveling companion so let me know whenever you are going and I can see if I can fit it into my schedule.

11/12/2012 new

Another possibility I am looking at is a group tour by a very good company at a very good price. Their website is http://www.caravan.com.

The 2 trips I'm looking at is an 8-day Panama trip including cruise on Panama canal or a 10 day trip in Costa Rica.

These trips include virtually all meals, but you book airfare on your own. Their prices are extremely reasonable and also have a reasonable single supplement if you want your own room. They have gotten very good reviews by past customers. And so, as far as I can tell it would be a good choice. The time frame I am looking at would be a trip the latter part of January. And, of course if you wanted to you could extend your trip either before or after the tour to stay in that country a few extra days. The itineraries are fully detailed in their brochure.

Anyone interested in one of these options? (There was also a Guatemala trip which I'm sure is now cancelled after the recent earthquake.)

The Panama Canal trip costs $1450 double occupancy or $1900 single occupancy including taxes and fees and virtually all meals. (airfare extra)

The Costa Rica trip costs $1350 double occupancy or $1625 single occupancy including taxes and fees and virtually all meals (airfare extra).

11/13/2012 new
You're welcome Patricia !! :)
Posts 1 - 10 of 27