Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Helene-345424 said: Hi Mari, Thank you so much for your hospitality!! Every thing you offered sounds wonderf...
(Quote) Helene-345424 said:

Hi Mari,

Thank you so much for your hospitality!! Every thing you offered sounds wonderful!!
I am certainly interested in going to Panama but as it looks at the moment I could not got before the Spring of 2013.

To cross the Panama Canal has been one of my dreams!
Patricia, we need to talk some more about logistics and how much this could cost.
I am sure most of us are on a budget. As I told you Patricia, we get really good deals here from Canada and I did find the prices for the tours you quoted to be quite high. I am sure there must be a cheaper way of doing this. I am an ex travel agent and I could look into it if I know exactly where and when we are planning on going.

Helene

--hide--

Hi Helene, if you can come up with any suggestions/ideas, great!!! For me though, I would be going in the winter - late January or early February at latest (either Panama or Playa del Carmen). That is the problem with trying to get a group together - everyone has time available at different times. And, of course, it is different doing your own planning vs. a group tour. I haven't decided which I would do for myself. But, maybe you would like to plan your own trip (for yourself and whoever would be interested) in the Spring when you could go and start a Panama thread here. I have started looking a little bit at places to stay on my own in Panama onwww.vrbo.com which are usually apts. or condos that would have a small kitchen. These do seem to be more expensive than comparable places in Mexico. I haven't started looking at inexpensive hotels yet. When I go somewhere, I usually go for a couple weeks at minimum, and so like to have at least a refrigerator and microwave to save on eating out every meal. I'm also curious as to what a partial day cruise on the Panama Canal would cost (as that may be why the package tour price is a little higher since that is included). I also am still considering Playa del Carmen as there is a hotel room with kitchenette available about 5 blocks from beach the later part of January for $50 a night which is a good price down there. I asked if there were any more rooms available, but the manager only had one more and she is getting many requests for reservations now. The best inexpensive hotels in Mexican resort areas tend to book a year in advance. Anyhow, it would be fun to meet up with Mari!

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Hi Helene, if you can come up with any suggestions/ideas, great!!! For me though, I wou...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Hi Helene, if you can come up with any suggestions/ideas, great!!! For me though, I would be going in the winter - late January or early February at latest (either Panama or Playa del Carmen). That is the problem with trying to get a group together - everyone has time available at different times. And, of course, it is different doing your own planning vs. a group tour. I haven't decided which I would do for myself. But, maybe you would like to plan your own trip (for yourself and whoever would be interested) in the Spring when you could go and start a Panama thread here. I have started looking a little bit at places to stay on my own in Panama onwww.vrbo.com which are usually apts. or condos that would have a small kitchen. These do seem to be more expensive than comparable places in Mexico. I haven't started looking at inexpensive hotels yet. When I go somewhere, I usually go for a couple weeks at minimum, and so like to have at least a refrigerator and microwave to save on eating out every meal. I'm also curious as to what a partial day cruise on the Panama Canal would cost (as that may be why the package tour price is a little higher since that is included). I also am still considering Playa del Carmen as there is a hotel room with kitchenette available about 5 blocks from beach the later part of January for $50 a night which is a good price down there. I asked if there were any more rooms available, but the manager only had one more and she is getting many requests for reservations now. The best inexpensive hotels in Mexican resort areas tend to book a year in advance. Anyhow, it would be fun to meet up with Mari!

--hide--

I just found some info online. A 6-hr. Panama Canal cruise is $145 per person from one company. And, the group tour also includes another boat ride and an excursion to a native area. So, I suspect these items are what increased the price. You're not just paying for hotel and meals, but various exursions for the 7 days. I would guess if you added up the price individually of these excursions (and transportation costs to get to them) in addition to hotel costs and 3 meals a day, the price would be quite reasonable for double occupancy (I always do pay more for single supplement - that's a given for any tour package).

Nov 19th 2012 new

[quote]Helene-345424 said:

Thanks, Helena, but this is all Patricia's doing... She's the MaterMind!

She'll keep you posted,

Mari

Nov 19th 2012 new

Yes, Patricia.. It's a very good deal! If you count transportation and meals alone, well... unless there's a day of fasting... wink

Is there an email I cans send you what I found? That way you can compare what's out there.

hug
Mari

Nov 20th 2012 new

Oh... one more thing...

Our currency is 1 to 1 with the US dollar, and the US dollar is freely used as currency - we only issue coins, not paper money, since Uncle Sam does that...no need to duplicate! Even the vending machines take them... our coins have the same size / weight as the US ones, so the poor machines don't get confused (and we don't have to have any custom made!)

wink

Mari

Nov 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Mari-894290 said: Oh... one more thing... Our currency is 1 to 1 with the US dollar, and the US dollar is fre...
(Quote) Mari-894290 said:

Oh... one more thing...

Our currency is 1 to 1 with the US dollar, and the US dollar is freely used as currency - we only issue coins, not paper money, since Uncle Sam does that...no need to duplicate! Even the vending machines take them... our coins have the same size / weight as the US ones, so the poor machines don't get confused (and we don't have to have any custom made!)

Mari

--hide--

I will be gone on vacation (to Puerto Vallarta) leaving in a couple days and returning mid-December, and so won't make a decision until after I come back about this trip to Panama. I won't be on CM during the next few weeks, but if you're interested in a trip to Panama (or other warm place), post here or you can always send me a message, if you'd like. Panama does look really interesting to me!

Nov 28th 2012 new

Good morning, Tricia!

If it ends up being an All Girls' Trip, I have room for up to 6 college style. I have 3 sparerooms - all with bathrooms - but is 1 per bed, 1 on a matress wink The expenses will be for airfare, meals, trips, and transportation. We can cook, talk, pray, sing, have some good Panamanian rum, do our nails, go to El Valle (a town inside a vocano) and have a beach day... whatever we want! It doesn't have to be all history / sightseeing / serious trip!!!

I cannot take days off in Feb, but I can point out where to go during the day, and we can have the weekend for al longer trip.

Feedback? Mari hug

Posts 21 - 27 of 27