Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Dec 3rd 2012 new

Most of you know what I'm talking about....but for the benefit of those who don't....

The actual measuring stick for speed (particularly in football from High School and up is 40 yards. It used to be...they timed players at longer distances...but since most long runs are not usually over 40 yards it provides a good distance for judging a guy's speed...especially since short distances require a good start.

So when a guy says he runs a 4.5 ...he is saying...."I run the 40 in 4.5 seconds." In the NFL...for instance....a guy who runs 4.5 and under will be either a running back or receiver. Most "wide receivers in the NFL will easily run a 4.5 and many run under that. However there are a few running backs who run faster. One of the fastest guys in the league is Gary Johnson who HAS run a 4.2 (blazing fast) Deon Sanders (a former Dallas Cowboy and 49er cornerback has run it that fast) The Dallas Cowboys found out all about Bryce Brown's speed last night in the game with Philadelphia. (he is a running back who runs a 4.3)

It is ALL about how strong of a start one gets. In high school i had a coach who told me....if I didn't run a 4.6 i was not going to be the starting halfback the following year. So i tied a rope to a truck tire....and around my waist and ran/practiced all summer in the Texas heat working on my start and running further than 40 yards so that i could maintain speed all the way through. It worked.

Like I said....MANY of you know....I just wanted to comment on it~

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Most of you know what I'm talking about....but for the benefit of those who don't.......
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Most of you know what I'm talking about....but for the benefit of those who don't....

The actual measuring stick for speed (particularly in football from High School and up is 40 yards. It used to be...they timed players at longer distances...but since most long runs are not usually over 40 yards it provides a good distance for judging a guy's speed...especially since short distances require a good start.

So when a guy says he runs a 4.5 ...he is saying...."I run the 40 in 4.5 seconds." In the NFL...for instance....a guy who runs 4.5 and under will be either a running back or receiver. Most "wide receivers in the NFL will easily run a 4.5 and many run under that. However there are a few running backs who run faster. One of the fastest guys in the league is Gary Johnson who HAS run a 4.2 (blazing fast) Deon Sanders (a former Dallas Cowboy and 49er cornerback has run it that fast) The Dallas Cowboys found out all about Bryce Brown's speed last night in the game with Philadelphia. (he is a running back who runs a 4.3)

It is ALL about how strong of a start one gets. In high school i had a coach who told me....if I didn't run a 4.6 i was not going to be the starting halfback the following year. So i tied a rope to a truck tire....and around my waist and ran/practiced all summer in the Texas heat working on my start and running further than 40 yards so that i could maintain speed all the way through. It worked.

Like I said....MANY of you know....I just wanted to comment on it~

--hide--
Jerry, thanks for the education. I for one did not know what running a 4.5 meant.

I'm impressed with your fortitude and commitment that hot summer in TX. Question?? Did it pay off? What was your longest running yard that season?? Inquiring minds wanna know. Well, this inquiring mind wants to know!! scratchchin

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Jerry, thanks for the education. I for one did not know what running a 4.5 meant.
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Jerry, thanks for the education. I for one did not know what running a 4.5 meant.

I'm impressed with your fortitude and commitment that hot summer in TX. Question?? Did it pay off? What was your longest running yard that season?? Inquiring minds wanna know. Well, this inquiring mind wants to know!!

--hide--
LOL! Well glad the little class on 40 yard times/speed helped. I scored one my senior year that was 90 yards

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Nancy, your Colts pulled out the win in the last few seconds. Good for them. Great game. Once aga...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Nancy, your Colts pulled out the win in the last few seconds. Good for them. Great game. Once again, glad I picked your Colts.

--hide--

clap clap It is an exciting season, especially after last year's painful season.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Sorry I missed it too Nancy. Your Colts are playing with lots of emotion.....since Pagano is ill....

Sorry I missed it too Nancy. Your Colts are playing with lots of emotion.....since Pagano is ill. But Andrew Luck seems to have it all.

That kid is already reading defenses well.....kind of reminds me of another Stanford great......John Elway!

Good luck the rest of the way....you might need some the Texans are RED-HOT!~j

--hide--

Hi Jerry! The Texans are doing very well ... Super Bowl bound? The thing with Andrew Luck is that he doesn't know that he's not supposed to win ... bring on the Texans. laughing I'll be going to the Colts/Texan game on the 30th.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

laughing

(Quote) Nancy-513644 said: (Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Sorry I missed it too Nancy. Your Colts are pla...
(Quote) Nancy-513644 said:

Quote:
Jerry-730726 said:

Sorry I missed it too Nancy. Your Colts are playing with lots of emotion.....since Pagano is ill. But Andrew Luck seems to have it all.

That kid is already reading defenses well.....kind of reminds me of another Stanford great......John Elway!

Good luck the rest of the way....you might need some the Texans are RED-HOT!~j

Hi Jerry! The Texans are doing very well ... Super Bowl bound? The thing with Andrew Luck is that he doesn't know that he's not supposed to win ... bring on the Texans. I'll be going to the Colts/Texan game on the 30th.

--hide--

Nancy,

In a quirk in the scheduling, we play the Colts twice in three weeks. I can't recall when the NFL has had three super rookie QBs in the same season - Andrew Luck of the Colts, Robert Griffin III of the Redskins and Russell Wilson of the Seahawks. The Texans have some tough mountains to climb before the Super Bowl. Last year still comes to mind when the Packers were 15 - 1 and got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Considering the way the Colts are playing, I am not sure we can beat them twice in three weeks. We shall see.

When you attend the game on the 30th, don't forget to wear your Texans jersey. laughing

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

Dec 4th 2012 new

Upset Specials:Week 14

Rams over Bills.

Panthers over Falcons.

Lions over Packers.

Dec 4th 2012 new

Gerard,

Last week, I got 10 right and now ready to take on Week 14.

Once again, home teams in bold:

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Broncos over the Raiders

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rams over the Bills (one of Gerard's upsets)

Falcons over the Panthers

Cowboys over the Bengals

Chiefs over the Browns

Colts
over the Titans

Jaguars over the Jets

Bears over the Vikings

Steelers
over the Chargers

Buccaneers over the Eagles

Redskins over the Ravens

49ers over the Dolphins

Saints over the Giants

Seahawks
over the Cardinals

Sunday Evening

Packers
over the Lions

Monday, December 10, 2012

Texans over the Patriots

I wish everyone the very best in their picks as we get closer to the playoffs.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Dec 4th 2012 new

Broncos over the Raiders

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rams over the Bills (Leon, I agree)

Cowboys over the Bengals

Browns over the Chiefs

Colts
over the Titans

Jets over the Jaguars

Bears over the Vikings

Steelers
over the Chargers

Ravens over the Redskins

49ers over the Dolphins

Giants over the Saints

Seahawks
over the Cardinals

Sunday Evening

Packers
over the Lions

Patriots over the Texans (Sorry Leon, the Pats are tough at home)

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Broncos over the RaidersSunday, December 9,...

Broncos over the Raiders

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rams over the Bills (Leon, I agree)

Cowboys over the Bengals

Browns over the Chiefs

Colts
over the Titans

Jets over the Jaguars

Bears over the Vikings

Steelers
over the Chargers

Ravens over the Redskins

49ers over the Dolphins

Giants over the Saints

Seahawks
over the Cardinals

Sunday Evening

Packers
over the Lions

Patriots over the Texans (Sorry Leon, the Pats are tough at home)

--hide--

Jerry,

I do understand and yes, the Pats are tough at home. If the Texans were not my team, I would also go with the Patriots. With all the injuries, the Texans secondary is pretty thin. Unless our defense can keep Brady on the run, the Texans offense is going to need to score lots of points to win this one.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Posts 171 - 180 of 200