Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

12/04/2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,I do understand and yes, the Pats are tough at home. If the Texans were not ...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

I do understand and yes, the Pats are tough at home. If the Texans were not my team, I would also go with the Patriots. With all the injuries, the Texans secondary is pretty thin. Unless our defense can keep Brady on the run, the Texans offense is going to need to score lots of points to win this one.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
Leon, I think it will be a "high scoring" affair. The reason being....the Texans will score some points on that porous secondary of the Patriots. I just think they (the Pats) will when BECAUSE of playing at home....and Mr. Brady~

12/04/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,I do understand and yes, t...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

I do understand and yes, the Pats are tough at home. If the Texans were not my team, I would also go with the Patriots. With all the injuries, the Texans secondary is pretty thin. Unless our defense can keep Brady on the run, the Texans offense is going to need to score lots of points to win this one.

Blessings,

Leon

Leon, I think it will be a "high scoring" affair. The reason being....the Texans will score some points on that porous secondary of the Patriots. I just think they (the Pats) will when BECAUSE of playing at home....and Mr. Brady~

--hide--

Jerry,

What we may be seeing is a preview of the AFC championship game.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

12/04/2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,What we may be seeing is a preview of the AFC championship game. Ble...

Jerry,

What we may be seeing is a preview of the AFC championship game.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
I was just thinking that this morning (by the way I meant to say WIN) But oddly enough....even if the Pats win this one....the Texans can take the one that counts...because if they advance in the playoffs....the AFC championship game could be in good ole' Houston.

Hate to see the Texans drop one....but I'd rather it be this one than the NEXT one!

12/04/2012 new

Here we go again!! I had 10 correct picks with one bonus point for week 13. tongue

THURSDAY DEC. 9TH

Broncos over Raiders

SUNDAY DEC. 9TH

Rams over Bills

Falcons over Panthers

Cowboys over Bengals

Browns over Chiefs

Colts over Titans

Jaguars over Jets (think the Jets were a little late to the games this season)

Bears over Vikings (I think you understand this Gerard) laughing

Steelers over Chargers

Buccaneers over Eagles

Ravens over Redskins (Redskins barely pulled off the win last night)

49ers over Dolphins

Giants over Saints (I was torn on this one)

Seahawks over Cardinals

SUNDAY EVENING

Packers over the Lions (think the Lions are gonna get "packed" away this game) laughing

MONDAY DEC. 10TH

Patriots over Texans (not gonna be easy for the Texans to beat the Pats at home, not to mention the injuries the Texans are dealing with) sad

Good luck to all this week. rose

12/04/2012 new

I talked about Lawrence Taylor before. Now I'm going to mention one of the toughest/meanest players to ever take the field. His name was Dick Butkus.

Dick played center AND linebacker at Illinois and was an All-american. At 6'3 and 245lbs he rumbled from sideline to sideline demolishing ball carriers. His size was big for linebackers back then....but before destroying both knees he could hold his own with speed. Mainly though...he was known for his "smash and crunch" style. His bone-jarring hits are legendary. Even before the NFL REALLY started preaching about "stripping" the football....he was a master....though one could classify his style as "ripping" the football out of their hands!

He once said...he wanted to hit a guy SO hard the guy didn't have to look up to see WHO had hit him. (the guy would know) Many knew how stellar this guy would be during the college "all-stars" game. (a game where the very best in college would line up and play the current NFL champions.....a total mismatch many times.) The NFL champs would usually "play around" with the college draft choices for 3 quarters and then "pour it on" the last stanza. ) Occasionally though the pros would "play around" too much and the all-stars would beat them.

But in 1965 the Cleveland Browns were the then NFL champs and of course had Jim Brown. People were OOOOH AAAAAhing when Brown was handed the ball up the middle by Frank Ryan and was "stood up" and stopped cold by Butkus! Everyone knew this guy would be great.

Never met Dick but like other retired linebackers I've met....it almost seemed/seems like they "left it all on the field." Because EVERY linebacker I've ever met was extremely nice...and friendly. (Another Bear great I DID meet was Mike Singletary. He was a heckuva guy!) Dick...who has announced, coached...and acted was one of these guys.

I've always admired Dick Butkus because I KNOW he played with lots of pain.~

12/04/2012 new

Speaking of Frank Ryan....I am reminded of his play against the Dallas Cowboys. Ryan....who himself was from Ft Worth Texas graduated from Rice University in Houston and ended up getting a Doctorate in mathematics there. For this reason announcers....would say, "And taking the field at quarterback for the Browns is DR Frank Ryan....#13."

Because of him....but mostly because of Jim Brown...he and his Browns enjoyed success against the Dallas Cowboys. I think the Cowboys were growing weary of all the losses and had a sensational team in the late 60's....a team ready to take on the mighty Browns in the conference championship game in 1967 I believe. No one could find Ryan to interview before the game against Dallas so they found his wife. They were about to come down to Dallas and play us in the Cotton Bowl.

Her comments about our quarterback were less than flattering. In fact it infuriated the team and our quarterback star Don Meredith...providing "fodder" for the team to have another reason to beat them. Don Meredith himself was an all star from Mt Vernon, Tx and Southern Methodist University fame. Meredith had had....a great season. Many thought though...he couldn't "win the big one" Whatever anyone's opinion was....TWO outstanding quarterbacks were going to play.

When interviewed....Mrs Ryan (her first name escapes me) when asked about the two stars said, "Meredith is a loser" (something to that effect)

I'm quite sure Coach Tom Landry didn't have to say much to "pump up" the team....but whatever the case.....the Dallas Cowboys destroyed the Cleveland Browns that day: 52-14!

Reporters scrambled to find Ms Ryan....but she was nowhere to be found. (gee wonder why!)

At some point I'll talk about "Dandy Don" Meredith!

12/04/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Speaking of Frank Ryan....I am reminded of his play against the Dallas Cowboys. Ryan....who himse...

Speaking of Frank Ryan....I am reminded of his play against the Dallas Cowboys. Ryan....who himself was from Ft Worth Texas graduated from Rice University in Houston and ended up getting a Doctorate in mathematics there. For this reason announcers....would say, "And taking the field at quarterback for the Browns is DR Frank Ryan....#13."

Because of him....but mostly because of Jim Brown...he and his Browns enjoyed success against the Dallas Cowboys. I think the Cowboys were growing weary of all the losses and had a sensational team in the late 60's....a team ready to take on the mighty Browns in the conference championship game in 1967 I believe. No one could find Ryan to interview before the game against Dallas so they found his wife. They were about to come down to Dallas and play us in the Cotton Bowl.

Her comments about our quarterback were less than flattering. In fact it infuriated the team and our quarterback star Don Meredith...providing "fodder" for the team to have another reason to beat them. Don Meredith himself was an all star from Mt Vernon, Tx and Southern Methodist University fame. Meredith had had....a great season. Many thought though...he couldn't "win the big one" Whatever anyone's opinion was....TWO outstanding quarterbacks were going to play.

When interviewed....Mrs Ryan (her first name escapes me) when asked about the two stars said, "Meredith is a loser" (something to that effect)

I'm quite sure Coach Tom Landry didn't have to say much to "pump up" the team....but whatever the case.....the Dallas Cowboys destroyed the Cleveland Browns that day: 52-14!

Reporters scrambled to find Ms Ryan....but she was nowhere to be found. (gee wonder why!)

At some point I'll talk about "Dandy Don" Meredith!

--hide--

Jerry,

Your stories continue to bring back so many fond memories.

Dick Butkus, No. 51 - one of the hardest hitting meanest linebackers in the history of the NFL. I recall one story from the 60s. A reporter mentioned to him that he would probably maim his mother in a game. He responded only if she got in his way. By today's rules, he would probably be the leader in penalties. You know - you can't hit above a certain area, no piling on, etc. What a different era. How would you like to be a defensive coordinator and have Singletary follow Butkus. Of course, Butkus was on the same Bear's team that featured Gayle Sayers No. 40.

I also remember Dr. Frank Ryan. He got a lot of press in the 50s with his play at Rice. I still recall that game you referenced. In those days, it did not pay to rattle Coach Landry's cage.

Look forward to your story(ies) on Dandy Don. Remember when he was an announcer on Monday Night Football - turn out the lights, the party's over..........laughing He and Howard Cosell had some interesting dialogue on those telecasts.

Jerry, thank you for taking time to write and share these stories.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

12/05/2012 new

SCOREBOARD UPDATE:WEEK 13

Jerry: 121...10 wins,1 bonus(8).

Nancy: 120...11 wins,1 bonus(8).

Gerard: 120...11 wins, - (7).

Leon: 113...10 wins,1 bonus(8).

Linda: 95...10 wins,1 bonus(7).

George: 82...11 wins,1 bonus(5).

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Gerard,Last week, I got 10 right and now ready to take on Week 14.Once aga...

Gerard,

Last week, I got 10 right and now ready to take on Week 14.

Once again, home teams in bold:

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Broncos over the Raiders

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rams over the Bills (one of Gerard's upsets)

Falcons over the Panthers

Cowboys over the Bengals

Chiefs over the Browns

Colts
over the Titans

Jaguars over the Jets

Bears over the Vikings

Steelers
over the Chargers

Buccaneers over the Eagles

Redskins over the Ravens

49ers over the Dolphins

Saints over the Giants

Seahawks
over the Cardinals

Sunday Evening

Packers
over the Lions

Monday, December 10, 2012

Texans over the Patriots

I wish everyone the very best in their picks as we get closer to the playoffs.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--

Leon,

A lot of tough games this week:

Rams/Bills

Broncos/Raiders

Cowboys/Bengals

Bears/Vikings

Steelers/Chargers

Saints/Giants

Ravens/Redskins

Lions/Packers

Texans/Patriots

There are many hard choices and questions to be answered:

Can the Rams sustain momentum and win outdoors on the road,or is there another home domination by the Bills?

Can the Broncos beat a key rival on the road ,or do the Raiders manage the upset at home?

Can the Cowboys play to an improved and maintained level,or do the Bengals continue to roll? The Cowboys had a LUCKY win over the Eagles.

Can the Bears shake off their recent defeat,or does Christian Ponder NOT throw key interceptions and the Vikings pull one out?He should have been ARRESTED for his performance last week;the Vikings had a REAL chance to win that game(it's a crime).

Can the Steelers win a "trap game",or do the Chargers play lights out?

Can the Saints put their pitiful perfomance in the rear view mirror and dominate the airwaves,or do the Giants bounce back from their tough game?

Can the Ravens shake off their tough loss,or do the Redskins challenge for the NFC East title?

Can the Lions light up the scoreboard with "Megatron",or do the Packers rise to the occasion?

Can the Texans defense come to the rescue,or do the Patriots take a KEY AFC contest?

Is it any wonder ,why I submit my picks on Thursday?... scratchchin scratchchin laughing laughing

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Broncos over the RaidersSunday, December 9,...

Broncos over the Raiders

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rams over the Bills (Leon, I agree)

Falcons over the Panthers

Cowboys over the Bengals

Browns over the Chiefs

Colts
over the Titans

Jets over the Jaguars

Bears over the Vikings

Steelers
over the Chargers

Buccaneers over the Eagles

Ravens over the Redskins

49ers over the Dolphins

Giants over the Saints

Seahawks
over the Cardinals

Sunday Evening

Packers
over the Lions

Monday, December 10, 2012

Patriots over the Texans (Sorry Leon, the Pats are tough at home)

--hide--

Jerry,

Thank you for the picks and best of luck,this week.

Posts 181 - 190 of 200