Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Here we go again!! I had 10 correct picks with one bonus point for week 13.
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Here we go again!! I had 10 correct picks with one bonus point for week 13.

THURSDAY DEC. 9TH

Broncos over Raiders

SUNDAY DEC. 9TH

Rams over Bills

Falcons over Panthers

Cowboys over Bengals

Browns over Chiefs

Colts over Titans

Jaguars over Jets (think the Jets were a little late to the games this season)

Bears over Vikings (I think you understand this Gerard)

Steelers over Chargers

Buccaneers over Eagles

Ravens over Redskins (Redskins barely pulled off the win last night)

49ers over Dolphins

Giants over Saints (I was torn on this one)

Seahawks over Cardinals

SUNDAY EVENING

Packers over the Lions (think the Lions are gonna get "packed" away this game)

MONDAY DEC. 10TH

Patriots over Texans (not gonna be easy for the Texans to beat the Pats at home, not to mention the injuries the Texans are dealing with)

Good luck to all this week.

--hide--

Linda,

Congratulations,on your bonus point... laughing laughing

A LOAD of tough games this week(see my response to Leon).Good luck,this week... biggrin biggrin

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: Leon, A lot of tough games this week: Rams/Bills Broncos/Raiders
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Leon,

A lot of tough games this week:

Rams/Bills

Broncos/Raiders

Cowboys/Bengals

Bears/Vikings

Steelers/Chargers

Saints/Giants

Ravens/Redskins

Lions/Packers

Texans/Patriots

There are many hard choices and questions to be answered:

Can the Rams sustain momentum and win outdoors on the road,or is there another home domination by the Bills?

Can the Broncos beat a key rival on the road ,or do the Raiders manage the upset at home?

Can the Cowboys play to an improved and maintained level,or do the Bengals continue to roll? The Cowboys had a LUCKY win over the Eagles.

Can the Bears shake off their recent defeat,or does Christian Ponder NOT throw key interceptions and the Vikings pull one out?He should have been ARRESTED for his performance last week;the Vikings had a REAL chance to win that game(it's a crime).

Can the Steelers win a "trap game",or do the Chargers play lights out?

Can the Saints put their pitiful perfomance in the rear view mirror and dominate the airwaves,or do the Giants bounce back from their tough game?

Can the Ravens shake off their tough loss,or do the Redskins challenge for the NFC East title?

Can the Lions light up the scoreboard with "Megatron",or do the Packers rise to the occasion?

Can the Texans defense come to the rescue,or do the Patriots take a KEY AFC contest?

Is it any wonder ,why I submit my picks on Thursday?...

--hide--
hahahahaha!! lol!

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: Linda, Congratulations,on your bonus point... A LOAD of ...
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Linda,

Congratulations,on your bonus point...

A LOAD of tough games this week(see my response to Leon).Good luck,this week...

--hide--
Gerard, I don't think all the bonus points in the world will help me, but I thought it was just a cute little add-on to put in my post. wink laughing laughing

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry, Your stories continue to bring back so many fond memories. Dick...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

Your stories continue to bring back so many fond memories.

Dick Butkus, No. 51 - one of the hardest hitting meanest linebackers in the history of the NFL. I recall one story from the 60s. A reporter mentioned to him that he would probably maim his mother in a game. He responded only if she got in his way. By today's rules, he would probably be the leader in penalties. You know - you can't hit above a certain area, no piling on, etc. What a different era. How would you like to be a defensive coordinator and have Singletary follow Butkus. Of course, Butkus was on the same Bear's team that featured Gayle Sayers No. 40.

I also remember Dr. Frank Ryan. He got a lot of press in the 50s with his play at Rice. I still recall that game you referenced. In those days, it did not pay to rattle Coach Landry's cage.

Look forward to your story(ies) on Dandy Don. Remember when he was an announcer on Monday Night Football - turn out the lights, the party's over.......... He and Howard Cosell had some interesting dialogue on those telecasts.

Jerry, thank you for taking time to write and share these stories.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
Leon,

Another fine Texan telling us a story. Thanks. Is it something in the water down there?? wink You get a Gold Star! rose

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry, Your stories continue to bring back so many fond memories. Dick...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

Dick Butkus, No. 51 - one of the hardest hitting meanest linebackers in the history of the NFL. I recall one story from the 60s. A reporter mentioned to him that he would probably maim his mother in a game. He responded only if she got in his way. By today's rules, he would probably be the leader in penalties. You know - you can't hit above a certain area, no piling on, etc. What a different era. How would you like to be a defensive coordinator and have Singletary follow Butkus. Of course, Butkus was on the same Bear's team that featured Gayle Sayers No. 40.

I also remember Dr. Frank Ryan. He got a lot of press in the 50s with his play at Rice. I still recall that game you referenced. In those days, it did not pay to rattle Coach Landry's cage.

Look forward to your story(ies) on Dandy Don. Remember when he was an announcer on Monday Night Football - turn out the lights, the party's over.......... He and Howard Cosell had some interesting dialogue on those telecasts.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
It is ironic Leon that part of the reason for Dick having so many knee problems is because players retaliated back then...and the offending player had to pay a price. So...many times players would "cut" him at or below the knees...or blindsiding him with a "high low" block from two players. (course he put more than a few out of games himself)

Dec 5th 2012 new

Another one of my favorite Dallas Cowboys was Walt Garrison. A guy who REALLY was a true Texas Cowboy! Walt was born in Denton Texas but attended high school in Lewisville, Tx. He then went on to star for Oklahoma State University and then on to the Dallas Cowboys for 9 years.

You might say this guy went from being a "farmer" (Lewisville) to a Cowboy (Oklahoma State) to a Cowboy (Dallas)!!

When I say COWBOY....he was a rodeo "steer wrestling" star as well! The guy was excellent and (at home) on a horse. He also was as tough as they come in football. At 6'0 and 205 Walt played some linebacker and fullback at OSU...but became a fullback for the Cowboys. When I say "TOUGH" I recall a NFC Championship game played at Texas Stadium. Garrison was the star....and drew a lot of praise for being able to play with injuries....(plural) He kept getting the ball and would perform....with a broken collarbone and broken ankle!! That's right! Both! As I mentioned with Dick Butkus....I ADMIRE any player who can play with pain and perform at a high level!

As mentioned in football and rodeo he was tough as they come...but also was tough off the field. Once he was at a nearby "watering hole" (to Texas Stadium) He was at the bar drinking a long neck beer and talking to patrons. As sports figures mingle in society especially in establishments where alcohol is served they can and will get challenged.....physically. (always someone who wants to see how tough THEY are)

I can't say what this fellow was "serving up" to Mr Garrison (this is a Catholic site!) but the guy was bigger than Garrison. Garrison said politely..."Oh come on...sit down and have a beer I'm buying" The guy was having none of this. Finally he grabbed Garrison....this is when Walt got mad...saying something to the effect "You are going to be hurt" The guy wouldn't relent and Garrison (I'm told) knocked the guy down quickly and then dispatched him out of the tavern by his hair and shirt.

Walt was guy who gave it ever thing he had in football. Unfortunately he gave HIS ALL in rodeo too. Oddly it was a "steer wrestling" event which wrecked his knee and ended his football career.

I'll never forget Walt Garrison....a true Texan, Cowboy.....and Dallas Cowboy! Nor will I EVER forget his performance in that NFC Championship game....with the 49ers! It was my first experience in a suite....and my Dad was there. After the game...my Dad even said, "I've never seen anything like that! HE (Garrison) was the one who won the game by inspiring the whole team!

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Another one of my favorite Dallas Cowboys was Walt Garrison. A guy who REALLY was a true Texas Co...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Another one of my favorite Dallas Cowboys was Walt Garrison. A guy who REALLY was a true Texas Cowboy! Walt was born in Denton Texas but attended high school in Lewisville, Tx. He then went on to star for Oklahoma State University and then on to the Dallas Cowboys for 9 years.

You might say this guy went from being a "farmer" (Lewisville) to a Cowboy (Oklahoma State) to a Cowboy (Dallas)!!

When I say COWBOY....he was a rodeo "steer wrestling" star as well! The guy was excellent and (at home) on a horse. He also was as tough as they come in football. At 6'0 and 205 Walt played some linebacker and fullback at OSU...but became a fullback for the Cowboys. When I say "TOUGH" I recall a NFC Championship game played at Texas Stadium. Garrison was the star....and drew a lot of praise for being able to play with injuries....(plural) He kept getting the ball and would perform....with a broken collarbone and broken ankle!! That's right! Both! As I mentioned with Dick Butkus....I ADMIRE any player who can play with pain and perform at a high level!

As mentioned in football and rodeo he was tough as they come...but also was tough off the field. Once he was at a nearby "watering hole" (to Texas Stadium) He was at the bar drinking a long neck beer and talking to patrons. As sports figures mingle in society especially in establishments where alcohol is served they can and will get challenged.....physically. (always someone who wants to see how tough THEY are)

I can't say what this fellow was "serving up" to Mr Garrison (this is a Catholic site!) but the guy was bigger than Garrison. Garrison said politely..."Oh come on...sit down and have a beer I'm buying" The guy was having none of this. Finally he grabbed Garrison....this is when Walt got mad...saying something to the effect "You are going to be hurt" The guy wouldn't relent and Garrison (I'm told) knocked the guy down quickly and then dispatched him out of the tavern by his hair and shirt.

Walt was guy who gave it ever thing he had in football. Unfortunately he gave HIS ALL in rodeo too. Oddly it was a "steer wrestling" event which wrecked his knee and ended his football career.

I'll never forget Walt Garrison....a true Texan, Cowboy.....and Dallas Cowboy! Nor will I EVER forget his performance in that NFC Championship game....with the 49ers! It was my first experience in a suite....and my Dad was there. After the game...my Dad even said, "I've never seen anything like that! HE (Garrison) was the one who won the game by inspiring the whole team!

--hide--
Jerry, your story about Walt Garrison being challenged by guys while out and about in "watering holes" reminded me of some experiences I've had with a former football player.....

His name was Mickey Walker. He played for Michigan State from 1958-1960 and then went on to play for the NY Giants from 1961-1965 (offensive lineman). His stats show him at 6 ft., 235 lobs. (trust me, he's much bigger than that now) wink laughing

He's most noted for a game where an opposing team player broke his nose, and he then returned into the game and on the very next play he broke that player's leg. shocked

He was one tough guy who was constantly being challenged by "boys" who wanted to prove how tough they were. After he retired he went on to teach Physical Education at a local school by me. When I owned a local bar he would tend bar for me on a part time basis. He was great for drawing in the guys on Monday nights for the football games. I always had football pools going for the sake of increasing business.

Anyhoo....the bar had living quarters above it and I could hear when a ruckus was occurring. (which was quite often when Mickey was in the building, either working or partying). Inevitably, some guy would challenge him and Mickey had no problem setting him straight (straight out the door). It was a common occurrence for me to look out the window and see some guy going head first out the door. On more than one occasion the guys were sent through the door without it being opened first. laughing

Okay, maybe my story telling isn't as good as you Texans!!! laughing You get a Gold Star!

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry, Your stories continue...

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

Blessings,

Leon

Leon,

Another fine Texan telling us a story. Thanks. Is it something in the water down there??

--hide--

Linda my dear,

Thank you for the kind words. It is not so much the water laughing but Texas has always been football country at all levels. The avid men followers eat, drink and sleep football. It goes far beyond just watching the games. It gets into following the players and their antics off the field. Of course, if a guy has a cute chick to hang out with then in my opinion, I am going to hang out with the chick. I can always watch the highlights on ESPN or NFL network. Yes, at this time in my life, I still love football but rather be running in her backfield. Just sayin'.

When Gerard opens another thread, I will share a short story of one of the Oiler coaches from the early 70s.

Blessings always, Praying hug rose

Leon

Jerry's story on Walt Garrison No. 32 was great. What a tough running back.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Jerry, your story about Walt Garrison being challenged by guys while out and about in "water...

Jerry, your story about Walt Garrison being challenged by guys while out and about in "watering holes" reminded me of some experiences I've had with a former football player.....

His name was Mickey Walker. He played for Michigan State from 1958-1960 and then went on to play for the NY Giants from 1961-1965 (offensive lineman). His stats show him at 6 ft., 235 lobs. (trust me, he's much bigger than that now)

He's most noted for a game where an opposing team player broke his nose, and he then returned into the game and on the very next play he broke that player's leg.

He was one tough guy who was constantly being challenged by "boys" who wanted to prove how tough they were. After he retired he went on to teach Physical Education at a local school by me. When I owned a local bar he would tend bar for me on a part time basis. He was great for drawing in the guys on Monday nights for the football games. I always had football pools going for the sake of increasing business.

Anyhoo....the bar had living quarters above it and I could hear when a ruckus was occurring. (which was quite often when Mickey was in the building, either working or partying). Inevitably, some guy would challenge him and Mickey had no problem setting him straight (straight out the door). It was a common occurrence for me to look out the window and see some guy going head first out the door. On more than one occasion the guys were sent through the door without it being opened first.

Okay, maybe my story telling isn't as good as you Texans!!!

--hide--
No.....you told it well Linda. Bet you handled a lot guys who were "schreet" But mix alcohol and dose of testosterone....and anything can happen.

Heck, the first time he was town...Tony Dorsett got into an altercation with a guy just like the ones we have described...course Tony won but people labeled him then as a trouble-maker...though I'd beg to differ.

I once saw Tony Dorsett run a 9.5 hundred in tennis shoes! And also...don't know if you all remember but there used to be the "Superstars" competition...where the current Super Bowl Champs would go against the team they faced. Leon would remember. Dorsett "cleaned and jerked" 300lbs! Which actually was 115 lbs above his weight. So strong! Btw, when we faced the Steelers (who beat us in the Superbowl) we clobbered them in Superstars!

Dec 5th 2012 new

Your LOBs made me laugh about something...Linda. Once my niece was selling candy in a candy store. "Fudge" was on sale because it was Christmas time. There was a sign at checkout which read: "Fudge chocolate....8.50 a lb"

One customer ambled up to the counter...and my niece said, "Could I help you sir?" The guy must have misunderstood the sign...or just plain couldn't spell. He said, "Let me have one LOB of that Fudge." My niece said....well that is 8.50 a pound" (trying to see if she could correct him in a polite way) He said, "Well make it half-a-lob"!!! laughing laughing

This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200