Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Nov 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-513644 said: Thanks Gerard for catching that I forgot my selection of Baltimore vs Clevelan. I'll pick Bal...
(Quote) Nancy-513644 said:

Thanks Gerard for catching that I forgot my selection of Baltimore vs Clevelan. I'll pick Baltimore.

You do a great job with this forum. Thanks.

--hide--

I appreciate that,Nancy!

Nov 3rd 2012 new

Good morning my fellow football fans!! I am extending an offer to all of you to come to the CM Indy Christmas party, Dec. 1st. Last February, I attending their annual Chili cookoff , then in Oct., their farm outing. I have met a wonderful group of people from all over the country and was amazed that people traveled from Pittsburg, Boston, LA (Calif), Kentucky, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, W VA to come to these events. I was welcomed into the group with open arms and have become great friends with several of the people.

Somehow, they convinced me to be the hostess of it this year so I wanted to extend the offer to my football buddies. If you're interested, please check out the event page for details on the event. You'll meet a wonderful group of faith-filled people ... a great way to start the Advent season.

Nov 3rd 2012 new

Okay teammates time for another trivia story.
At the University of Oregon in the early 1960's two (soon to be) Dallas Cowboys participated in the 4X440 relays. Mike Gaechter and Mel Renfro...along with teammates Jerry Tarr and Harry Jerome set a record! In 1961, Mike Gaechter alone recorded a 9.4 100yd dash time!
Renfro...was either 9.4 or 9.5 also. Gaechter came to the Cowboys first as a cornerback and wound up being a safety before a career ending Achilles tendon rupture. (He would walk with a limp the rest of his life.) He once intercepted a ball and took it 100 yards to paydirt! That record stood for 48 years! Until a fellow named Bryan McCann from SMU (my Dad's school) beat it against the Giants in 2010.
Mike also went to my family's Church...and would sometimes come out to some of our grade school practice (football) practice sessions, because he personally knew one of our assistant coaches. Not many people would believe this but I can remember one of the coaches racing him for 50 yards. Mike would beat that coach....running backwards! (most good defensive backs can "back up" really well)
Not big by today's standards at 6'0 and 190lbs..he WAS one of the most feared hitters in the NFL. He was and always will be one of my favorite all-time Dallas Cowboys!
(More on Renfro at some point!)

Nov 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-513644 said: Good morning my fellow football fans!! I am extending an offer to all of you to come to the CM In...
(Quote) Nancy-513644 said:

Good morning my fellow football fans!! I am extending an offer to all of you to come to the CM Indy Christmas party, Dec. 1st. Last February, I attending their annual Chili cookoff , then in Oct., their farm outing. I have met a wonderful group of people from all over the country and was amazed that people traveled from Pittsburg, Boston, LA (Calif), Kentucky, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, W VA to come to these events. I was welcomed into the group with open arms and have become great friends with several of the people.

Somehow, they convinced me to be the hostess of it this year so I wanted to extend the offer to my football buddies. If you're interested, please check out the event page for details on the event. You'll meet a wonderful group of faith-filled people ... a great way to start the Advent season.

--hide--

Nancy,

Thank you for the gracious invitation and great idea!

Nov 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay teammates time for another trivia story.At the University of Oregon in the early 1960...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Okay teammates time for another trivia story.
At the University of Oregon in the early 1960's two (soon to be) Dallas Cowboys participated in the 4X440 relays. Mike Gaechter and Mel Renfro...along with teammates Jerry Tarr and Harry Jerome set a record! In 1961, Mike Gaechter alone recorded a 9.4 100yd dash time!
Renfro...was either 9.4 or 9.5 also. Gaechter came to the Cowboys first as a cornerback and wound up being a safety before a career ending Achilles tendon rupture. (He would walk with a limp the rest of his life.) He once intercepted a ball and took it 100 yards to paydirt! That record stood for 48 years! Until a fellow named Bryan McCann from SMU (my Dad's school) beat it against the Giants in 2010.
Mike also went to my family's Church...and would sometimes come out to some of our grade school practice (football) practice sessions, because he personally knew one of our assistant coaches. Not many people would believe this but I can remember one of the coaches racing him for 50 yards. Mike would beat that coach....running backwards! (most good defensive backs can "back up" really well)
Not big by today's standards at 6'0 and 190lbs..he WAS one of the most feared hitters in the NFL. He was and always will be one of my favorite all-time Dallas Cowboys!
(More on Renfro at some point!)

--hide--

Thank you for the story,Jerry.I remember Mel Renfro;a very good player.

Nov 5th 2012 new

Just a little pondering from a football fan........

As we get ready to put week 9 to bed with tonight's game, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to pick against my beloved Cowboys next week. I will do this with a heavy heart, but sometimes a girl's gotta know when to cut her losses and move on. wink sad

But while I'm in a "pondering" mood, I have a fantasy scenario that I would love to see played out for my Cowboys next year.......

Dump Romo and get the Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford as the Cowboys quarterback. And while we're at it, how about a new coach?? scratchchin

Thanks for allowing me to step away from reality for a moment. I now return you to your regularly scheduled football thread. wink laughing laughing

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Just a little pondering from a football fan........ As we get ready to put week 9...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Just a little pondering from a football fan........

As we get ready to put week 9 to bed with tonight's game, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to pick against my beloved Cowboys next week. I will do this with a heavy heart, but sometimes a girl's gotta know when to cut her losses and move on.

But while I'm in a "pondering" mood, I have a fantasy scenario that I would love to see played out for my Cowboys next year.......

Dump Romo and get the Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford as the Cowboys quarterback. And while we're at it, how about a new coach??

Thanks for allowing me to step away from reality for a moment. I now return you to your regularly scheduled football thread.

--hide--
Yeah....like Mike Holmgren!

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Yeah....like Mike Holmgren!

Yeah....like Mike Holmgren!

--hide--
Jerry, when you get time, would you care to elaborate on this idea?? scratchchin

I'm VERY interested!! biggrin

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Jerry, when you get time, would you care to elaborate on this idea?? I'm VERY...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Jerry, when you get time, would you care to elaborate on this idea??

I'm VERY interested!!

--hide--
Yep! First of all I heard his departing news conference the other day from the Browns. (as GM) He indicated one of the things he found out he missed most.....WAS COACHING. That statement there meant he was opening doors for any/all comers.

Second, he and Jerry Jones (owner and GM of the Cowboys) are good friends. (have been on many committees together)

Third, Jason Garrett is an excellent offensive coordinator....but IMHO...and maybe some would disagree....HE IS NOT a head coach. And doesn't command the respect of his players which Mike Holmgren would. (at 6'5 and a sometimes scowl....he is an imposing presence...and is not afraid to get in players faces)

*But here is the IF! Jerry Jones would have to relinquish a considerable amount of control to Holmgren (drafts, personnel etc) or he, Holmgren won't come....and Jones will never see a Championship team again....with a puppet coach.

A distant fourth Linda: I tend to agree with you. Matt Stafford is from Dallas and would make and excellent quarterback (he IS a winner) here in Dallas. And yes there are Tony fans....but after 10 years...he still makes the same mistakes....and holds the ball too long. Even at Eastern Illinois, he took them to the Championship....and lost. I like him....but not as the leader for the Dallas Cowboys

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Yep! First of all I heard his departing news conference the other day from the Browns. (as GM) He...

Yep! First of all I heard his departing news conference the other day from the Browns. (as GM) He indicated one of the things he found out he missed most.....WAS COACHING. That statement there meant he was opening doors for any/all comers.

Second, he and Jerry Jones (owner and GM of the Cowboys) are good friends. (have been on many committees together)

Third, Jason Garrett is an excellent offensive coordinator....but IMHO...and maybe some would disagree....HE IS NOT a head coach. And doesn't command the respect of his players which Mike Holmgren would. (at 6'5 and a sometimes scowl....he is an imposing presence...and is not afraid to get in players faces)

*But here is the IF! Jerry Jones would have to relinquish a considerable amount of control to Holmgren (drafts, personnel etc) or he, Holmgren won't come....and Jones will never see a Championship team again....with a puppet coach.

A distant fourth Linda: I tend to agree with you. Matt Stafford is from Dallas and would make and excellent quarterback (he IS a winner) here in Dallas. And yes there are Tony fans....but after 10 years...he still makes the same mistakes....and holds the ball too long. Even at Eastern Illinois, he took them to the Championship....and lost. I like him....but not as the leader for the Dallas Cowboys

--hide--
WOW, Jerry, I like your plan. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this. Seems as if I'm not the only Cowboy fan who is ready for a change,

What do you think the chances are that we'd get Stafford and Holmgren, and not to mention getting getting Jerry Jones to relinquish his strangle hold on the daily operations of the Cowboys?

There's a special tonight on the NFL channel, where Bob Costas will be interviewing Jerry Jones. I saw a snippet of it already and I must say he came across as arrogant and cocky. I'm gonna record the whole interview and view it later. This should be good!! laughing laughing

Posts 31 - 40 of 200