Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Time to depart from the sadness of a loss: When I was bellhop in during my first year of c...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Time to depart from the sadness of a loss:

When I was bellhop in during my first year of college....the Cowboys drafted a running back named Calvin Hill from Yale. He stayed at the hotel I worked for....for a month while searching for a house. Yours truly got to "room" him and since his room was just down the hall from the bellstand...we were on a first name basis with each other. One time he called the front desk and asked if I could come down to his room...that he had had a problem with his briefcase. I said, "Hey Calvin...what's up?" He said, "Man, this briefcase is brand new...and I lost the key to it....and forgot what combination I gave it. I said, "Well we CAN get this open but it will be ruined" He just looked at me in shock and said, "No man...not an option" So Jerry borrowed a "hair pin" from one of the maids...and began to "pick" the locks. I got it open! He tipped me big and said, "Are you a safecracker?" We both laughed and I said, "Well, guess I am today!"

Of note: In Calvin Hill's rookie season he gained something like 950 yards.....excellent for a rookie!

--hide--

Another great story,Jerry.Have you ever thought about becoming a television or radio narrator...you got talent!... biggrin crossfingers

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Jerry, you do have some of the best stories. You really need to write a book. I'd be the firs...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Jerry, you do have some of the best stories. You really need to write a book. I'd be the first in line for an autographed copy.

Please keep these little treasures coming. It helps us get through the week until our next picks are to be posted.

--hide--

Linda,

I agree. I think of you as another individual ,who picks things up and keeps us moving,in a positive direction... biggrin

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,The game is being played Sunday evening at Soldier Field. I consider Lovie S...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

The game is being played Sunday evening at Soldier Field. I consider Lovie Smith as one of the better NFL coaches. Although he played college ball at Tulsa, Lovie never played pro-ball and thus began his long coaching career. The Bears are strong everywhere including special teams except I feel the Texans have a better QB. The Texans will have to play their best game this season.

I also agree the Texans should have beaten the Bills by a much larger score. However, a win is a win.

Until the Texans consistently beat other elite teams, then the media will treat them as a flash-in- the-pan.

Thank you for continuing to share your stories. I have been able to identify with every one of them. A wonderful trip down nostalgia lane.

Blessings always my fellow Texan,

Leon

--hide--

Leon,

You are right,especially about the media.When the Vikings were 5-2,they were "re-named",the SURPRISING Vikings.Do you know where "Surprising",is located on the map?... laughing

I would love to see the Texans beat the Bears!

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: Linda, I agree. I think of you as another individual ,who picks things up and ke...
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Linda,

I agree. I think of you as another individual ,who picks things up and keeps us moving,in a positive direction...

--hide--
Thank you for the kind words Gerard. Check's in the mail, dear. wink laughing laughing

Nov 6th 2012 new

Time for week 10's picks. I had 8 correct for week 9. Let's give this another go round.. laughing laughing

THURSDAY NOV. 8th

Colts over Jaguars

SUNDAY NOV. 11th

Buccaneers over Chargers

Dolphins over Titans

Patriots over Bills

Ravens over Raiders

Broncos over Panthers

Giants over Bengals

Lions over Vikings ( sorry Gerard, gotta go against your Vikes this week, I've been burned enough by them) laughing

Falcons over Saints

Seahawks over Jets

Eagles over Cowboys (this is painful, but I've taken off my rose colored glasses) sad

49ers over Rams

SUNDAY EVENING

Bears over Texans (sorry Leon, but I watched the Texans/Bills game and think this might be the week they lose. The Bears are tough at home as well)

MONDAY NOV. 12th

Steelers over Chiefs

Good luck to all. See you all next week. rose

Nov 6th 2012 new

My picks starting with the Thursday game below! (Go Romney btw!!)

Colts over Jaguars

SUNDAY NOV. 11th

Chargers over Buccaneers

Dolphins over Titans

Patriots over Bills

Ravens over Raiders

Panthers over Broncos

Giants over Bengals

Vikings over Lions ( Sorry Linda, got to go with Gerards' team this week!)

Saints over Falcons (Falcons go down finally)

Seahawks over Jets

Eagles over Cowboys (Linda, you should be ashamed! So am I! laughing )

49ers over Rams

SUNDAY EVENING

Bears over Texans (sorry Leon, but I concur with Linda. Besides, you informed me they were playing at Soldier Field oops!)

MONDAY NOV. 12th

Steelers over Chiefs

Nov 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: Another great story,Jerry.Have you ever thought about becoming a television or radio na...
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Another great story,Jerry.Have you ever thought about becoming a television or radio narrator...you got talent!...

--hide--
Hahahaha! laughing Got another one. Occasionally, I used to go to one or two Masses during the week. (6:30) That Mass took a little bit of sacrifice! A few "business types" would go....and the usual devoted attendees. This would amount to about 15 people or less most of the time.

One time I went and heard someone come in and sit behind me. I did not turn around to see who it was. However at the "sign of peace" part of the Mass there was no one on either side of me...but one in front whose hand I shook. I then turned around to look right in the eyes of Roger Staubach! (he lived closer to the Church than I did) He was in a jogging outfit...and had apparently ran to Mass. We shook hands and exchanged "Peace be with you" I then said, "Good luck Sunday" (for this was during football season) He said thanks!

Nov 6th 2012 new

Another one indirectly about #12; Roger Staubach. We were playing the then Los Angeles Rams in a pre-season game. It must have been near the end of pre-season because Coach Landry did not play the starters much until it was time to "tune-up" for the regular season. On one particular play Roger did not find any receivers open....and took off running for the goal line. Instead of going down....or going around a "would be" tackler....he went RIGHT AT the guy. The GUY was a linebacker named Marlin McKeever. He stopped Roger cold. (don't recall if he even scored)

Roger "The Dodger" stayed on the ground. I could see Coach Landry's face full of worry on the sideline. When the trainers finally got him up...his right "throwing arm" was dangling down. It had been dislocated badly. And Roger was out for all or most of that entire year. Oops.

Fast forward to me working at the hotel and Marlin McKeever was staying with us. I roomed him...and also chauffered him around. I forgot why he was in Dallas...but it was for a few days.

So, (yours truly) reminds him of the powerful hit he put on our quarterback. (Roger was listed at 200 but may have been 195 wringing wet) Marlin (actually was a pretty nice guy) said, "Well I think he is a great quarterback....but he had NO business "challenging" a 230lb linebacker at the goal line. He should have went down" Didn't need any affirmation from me!

Nov 6th 2012 new

Jerry,

Your stories are really aging me. However, that is fine because those were some good days. Roger Staubach, another class act who played for Navy.

Now to my picks for Week 10. Last week, I got 9 right.

Once again, home teams in bold

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Colts over the Jaguars

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Ravens
over the Raiders

Broncos over the Panthers

Giants over the Bengals

Dolphins
over the Titans

Lions over the Vikings

Patriots
over the Bills

Falcons over the Saints (Even though it is a home game, I feel the Saints are not strong enough to clip the wings of those Falcons)

Chargers over the Buccaneers

Seahawks
over the Jets

Cowboys over the Eagles (Cowboys are way overdue to win one)

49ers
over the Rams

Sunday evening

Texans over the Bears (Time for the Texans to beat one of the elite teams)

Monday, November 12, 2012

Steelers
over the Chiefs

Once again, I thoroughly enjoy having Linda and Nancy sharing their picks. They offer great perspective and of course - great looks. hug I hope they stay with us through the Super Bowl and even after that sharing their take on the game.

Blessings and best wishes to all, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Nov 6th 2012 new

ATTENTION ALL PROGNOSTICATORS:

On Wednesday,I will update the scoreboard.The task will be monumental,as I compare weekly results against our weekly picks,by each person,on this thread and the three locked.

I will throughly review the information and correct any inaccuracy.

Posts 51 - 60 of 200