Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Oh brother....

vaticaniiat50.wordpress.com

Let's hope this never sees the light of day.
11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: Oh brother.... vaticaniiat50.wordpress.com.
(Quote) Charles-512043 said: Oh brother....

--hide--

Given that the story is from VII 50 years ago, it did indeed see the light of day.

It's called the Novus Ordo.

11/05/2012 new
(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Given that the story is from VII 50 years ago, it did indeed see the light of day.
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Given that the story is from VII 50 years ago, it did indeed see the light of day.

It's called the Novus Ordo.

--hide--

Oh...I am not on my game today. embarassed I guess the name of the blog should have given it away...

I need a nap.
11/05/2012 new
Why the obsession with the Protestants? Maybe they should make the Mass more ecumenical with the Eastern Orthodox.
11/09/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: Oh...I am not on my game today. I guess the name of the blog should have given it away... ...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:

Oh...I am not on my game today. I guess the name of the blog should have given it away...

I need a nap.
--hide--

Naps are good! wave

11/09/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Why the obsession with the Protestants? Maybe they should make the Mass more ecumenical with the Eastern ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Why the obsession with the Protestants? Maybe they should make the Mass more ecumenical with the Eastern Orthodox.
--hide--

You know, that would be interesting to see, and it wouldn't take much in the Novus Ordo. It wouldn't take much to regularize the Prayers of the Faithful, restrict the response to "Lord have mercy" (which is one of the options, BTW), and develop plainchant for it.

It would sound an awful lot like Ruthenian plainchant, and I believe the Anglican Use does this.

11/10/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: Oh brother.... vaticaniiat50.wordpress.com.
(Quote) Charles-512043 said: Oh brother....

--hide--

While this is old news, the points of the Bishop, namely:

"— The priest should speak in an audible voice, as a common courtesy.

"— The priest, like Christ at the Last Supper, should speak in the language of those present."

remind me of one of the Canons of the Council of Trent ( Session XXII):

"Canon IX. If any one saith, that the rite of the Roman Church, according to which a part of the Canon and the words of consecration are pronounced in a low tone, is to be condemned; or, that the Mass ought to be celebrated in the vulgar tongue only; or, that water ought not to be mixed with the wine that is to be offered in the chalice, for that it is contrary to the institution of Christ; let him be anathema."

While the Bishop may not be anathematizing himself since he is suggesting what he thinks "should" be done, rather than condemning or saying what "ought" to be done, the suggestions sure seems suspicious.

11/11/2012 new
Considering that the canon of Trent involves a disciplinary matter, it does not prevent the Church from changing it.

But since the use of the mother tongue, whether in the Mass, the administration of the sacraments, or other parts of the Liturgy, frequently may be of great advantage to the people, the limits of its employment may be extended. This will apply in the first place to the readings and directives, and to some of the prayers and chants, according to the regulations on this matter to be laid down separately in subsequent chapters...

Sacrosanctum Concilium
11/11/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering that the canon of Trent involves a disciplinary matter, it does not prevent the Church from c...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering that the canon of Trent involves a disciplinary matter, it does not prevent the Church from changing it.

But since the use of the mother tongue, whether in the Mass, the administration of the sacraments, or other parts of the Liturgy, frequently may be of great advantage to the people, the limits of its employment may be extended. This will apply in the first place to the readings and directives, and to some of the prayers and chants, according to the regulations on this matter to be laid down separately in subsequent chapters...

Sacrosanctum Concilium
--hide--

Are you suggesting that what is anathema in one age is not in another? If so, what's your source on that?

11/11/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Are you suggesting that what is anathema in one age is not in another? If so, what's yo...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Are you suggesting that what is anathema in one age is not in another? If so, what's your source on that?

--hide--

Anathema was a punishment (excommunication), not a theological classification. One may be excommunicated either for heresy or severe diciplinary violations.

Posts 1 - 10 of 14