Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I have a very close friend whose 14-year old son, an altar boy does not go to church anymore unless they can explain to him the theory of evolution. She said his son believes in what his teacher taught in the class. How safe would our children be in public schools that teaches evolution and the teacher happens to be a non-Catholic and believes in this theory.

11/09/2012 new

First off, the kid must understand the full meaning of the word "theory". A theory is an idea or hypothesis that is yet to be proven. Evolution has not been proven therefore it has remained as a mere theory for some hundreds of years. The reason why this theory has not been proven is because of the missing link which ideally would be some type of transitional fossil that would prove that humans descended from apes.

This boy should take into account the following facts regarding the theory of evolution:

1.- How is it possible that fossils of apes who lived about 5 million yrs ago have been found as well as fossils of the first homo sapiens but nothing of the so called missing link that ought to have lived (by my own reckoning) about 2 million yrs ago. Evolution happens as the population of one species grow, so if the missing link did exist its strange that no fossil has yet been found, for those creatures must have outnumbered the australopithecus, cro-magnons, neanderthals, and all of the species that existed before us. Its been proven that those species existed, but there is no tangible proof of the existance of any being or creature that proves we actually do descend from apes (this pointer could offer some food for thought for the boy).

2.- Another important thing is apes cannot tell the difference between wrong and right as they have no conscience and thats because the Holy Spirit does not dwell in them. the Holy Spirit dwells in us, the human beings made in the image of God. However, being the perfect gentleman that He is, the Holy Spirit is free to shine in the hearts of those who wilfully surrender themselves to at the service of Our Lord.

3.- It is important that the kid understands that science is not meant to drive us away from God .On the contrary, science was a gift from God to men to be used at His service and for His Greater Glory. The men who truly seeks to find God through science with a humble heart shall find Him. If not....then those so called scientists perhaps do descend from the apes after all.

4.- Here are a few examples of how science can prove the existance of God and the veracity of His word:

"And God said let there be light, and there was light" .....Big bang Theory.
"And the Lord formed the man of the slime of the earth" ..... A human´s body is made up of water and other elements that can be found in the earth such as phosphorus, calcium and other minerals( further prove of that is when the body dies it turns into dust)...and well, any 3 year old knows that water+earth = mud or slime
" So the Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, "Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly" .....I might be wrong about this, but as far as i know the snake is actually the only reptile that crawls and has no legs.

5.- As a former cathechist I would suggest the boy be taken to speak with a priest about his concerns and doubts, preferably to someone who will be willing to listen carefully and patiently and is willing to give the plausible explanation that the boy needs. Someone who will not dismiss him and his doubts offhandedly by just saying things such as "We do not come from apes and thats just it" or "Does any of your relatives resembles an ape" (i used to get that a lot in catholic school.lol).

Seeing the age of the boy, it is important as well that the parents act immediately but that they do so with peace in their hearts and confidence (and make sure that their faith and confidence shows throughout the whole situation...in other words, they must act cool around the kid ). They must conduct themselves in a manner that proves and shows their certainty in their faith. At fourteen any boy usually follows and believes more in those who exude confidence in their believes, specially if they do so in a cocky way like his non-Catholic biology teacher. In this scenario, the parents could reply in calm and loving way with things such as: "Son, do you honestly believe in an idea that has not been proven?" "Son, have you ever wondered if your teacher could give some real proof that God does not exist and that we descend from apes?"... we shall take you to see someone who could give you the answers you are looking for.

Oh and also, there is a documentary that i would highly suggest for the boy about the shroud of turin, its very touching when you hear the stories of the convertion of so many scientists who did research on this holy relic. Perhaps it could be found on youtube.

Well I hope this helps. I will keep this youngman and his family in my prayers, surely the Lord will enlighten him with the right help.

Godbless

11/10/2012 new

(Quote) Anna-671172 said: First off, the kid must understand the full meaning of the word "theory". A theory is an...
(Quote) Anna-671172 said:

First off, the kid must understand the full meaning of the word "theory". A theory is an idea or hypothesis that is yet to be proven. Evolution has not been proven therefore it has remained as a mere theory for some hundreds of years. The reason why this theory has not been proven is because of the missing link which ideally would be some type of transitional fossil that would prove that humans descended from apes.

This boy should take into account the following facts regarding the theory of evolution:

1.- How is it possible that fossils of apes who lived about 5 million yrs ago have been found as well as fossils of the first homo sapiens but nothing of the so called missing link that ought to have lived (by my own reckoning) about 2 million yrs ago. Evolution happens as the population of one species grow, so if the missing link did exist its strange that no fossil has yet been found, for those creatures must have outnumbered the australopithecus, cro-magnons, neanderthals, and all of the species that existed before us. Its been proven that those species existed, but there is no tangible proof of the existance of any being or creature that proves we actually do descend from apes (this pointer could offer some food for thought for the boy).

2.- Another important thing is apes cannot tell the difference between wrong and right as they have no conscience and thats because the Holy Spirit does not dwell in them. the Holy Spirit dwells in us, the human beings made in the image of God. However, being the perfect gentleman that He is, the Holy Spirit is free to shine in the hearts of those who wilfully surrender themselves to at the service of Our Lord.

3.- It is important that the kid understands that science is not meant to drive us away from God .On the contrary, science was a gift from God to men to be used at His service and for His Greater Glory. The men who truly seeks to find God through science with a humble heart shall find Him. If not....then those so called scientists perhaps do descend from the apes after all.

4.- Here are a few examples of how science can prove the existance of God and the veracity of His word:

"And God said let there be light, and there was light" .....Big bang Theory.
"And the Lord formed the man of the slime of the earth" ..... A human´s body is made up of water and other elements that can be found in the earth such as phosphorus, calcium and other minerals( further prove of that is when the body dies it turns into dust)...and well, any 3 year old knows that water+earth = mud or slime
" So the Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, "Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly" .....I might be wrong about this, but as far as i know the snake is actually the only reptile that crawls and has no legs.

5.- As a former cathechist I would suggest the boy be taken to speak with a priest about his concerns and doubts, preferably to someone who will be willing to listen carefully and patiently and is willing to give the plausible explanation that the boy needs. Someone who will not dismiss him and his doubts offhandedly by just saying things such as "We do not come from apes and thats just it" or "Does any of your relatives resembles an ape" (i used to get that a lot in catholic school.lol).

Seeing the age of the boy, it is important as well that the parents act immediately but that they do so with peace in their hearts and confidence (and make sure that their faith and confidence shows throughout the whole situation...in other words, they must act cool around the kid ). They must conduct themselves in a manner that proves and shows their certainty in their faith. At fourteen any boy usually follows and believes more in those who exude confidence in their believes, specially if they do so in a cocky way like his non-Catholic biology teacher. In this scenario, the parents could reply in calm and loving way with things such as: "Son, do you honestly believe in an idea that has not been proven?" "Son, have you ever wondered if your teacher could give some real proof that God does not exist and that we descend from apes?"... we shall take you to see someone who could give you the answers you are looking for.

Oh and also, there is a documentary that i would highly suggest for the boy about the shroud of turin, its very touching when you hear the stories of the convertion of so many scientists who did research on this holy relic. Perhaps it could be found on youtube.

Well I hope this helps. I will keep this youngman and his family in my prayers, surely the Lord will enlighten him with the right help.

Godbless

--hide--
You are so good Anna, and at your age. You must be a smart lady. I made a print out of your explanation to give to the concerned mother for her boy. Thanks.

11/10/2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: I have a very close friend whose 14-year old son, an altar boy does not go to church anymore...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

I have a very close friend whose 14-year old son, an altar boy does not go to church anymore unless they can explain to him the theory of evolution. She said his son believes in what his teacher taught in the class. How safe would our children be in public schools that teaches evolution and the teacher happens to be a non-Catholic and believes in this theory.

--hide--
At the onset, there was nothing to evolve. The world and man simply did not exist. What exists is God's creation --making something out of nothing. Did the earth and planets, and life forms on earth "evolve"? As far as physical development, the THEORY (note the emphais) of evolution is not contrary to Catholic teaching or beliefs.

Where a problem enters concerns "man" versus the animal world. It is likely that there was a gradual physical development. Note that in any case, development was God's plan (theistic evolution -- that is, guided by God). At some point a soul was infused into God's creation and from that point a human being existed -- a soul, mind capable of thought, a conscience and so on.

When speaking about evolution, it is necessary to distinguish what is essential to Catholic beliefs and what remains a THEORY.

11/10/2012 new
Unlike fundamentalist Christians, who take a literalist view of the bible, there is NOTHING incompatible with the teaching of evolution and Catholicism. The church is not against the teaching of evolution. God created the heavens and the earth, and apparently evolution is part of his plan!
11/10/2012 new

(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: Unlike fundamentalist Christians, who take a literalist view of the bible, there is NOTHING incompatib...
(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: Unlike fundamentalist Christians, who take a literalist view of the bible, there is NOTHING incompatible with the teaching of evolution and Catholicism. The church is not against the teaching of evolution. God created the heavens and the earth, and apparently evolution is part of his plan!
--hide--
There are different classes of evolution. What you are speaking of is gradual evolving, but still in accordance with God's plan. There is no objection to teaching or believing in this. The main problem stems from trying to determine when a human being was formed. Again, the physical body could have been the product of evolution, but the primary difference is the infusion of a soul; that's the difference between animal existence and man.

Was the world literally created in 6 days? Most likely not. The Church and science are in agreement on this. For those who insist upon a literal translation of Genesis, they would have to consider that there was no word for a 24-hour period of time, which we now call a day. A day in those times meant a period of time (could be a second, or millions of years).

11/10/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: At some point a soul was infused into God's creation and from that point a human being existed ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

At some point a soul was infused into God's creation and from that point a human being existed -- a soul, mind capable of thought, a conscience and so on.

--hide--

Dear Liberacion,

I feel like i should have dwelled a bit more on this point, but i was glad to find this morning that Ray (as usual) has done it in such a wise and straight- to- the- point manner.

Indeed apes, nor any other animal have a soul or a spirit. But us, human beings do. The parents could ask the boy if he really believes that he descends from souless spiritless creatures.

Godbless.

11/10/2012 new

(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: Unlike fundamentalist Christians, who take a literalist view of the bible, there is NOTHING incompatib...
(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: Unlike fundamentalist Christians, who take a literalist view of the bible, there is NOTHING incompatible with the teaching of evolution and Catholicism. The church is not against the teaching of evolution. God created the heavens and the earth, and apparently evolution is part of his plan!
--hide--
This same fundamentalist infestation of the Republican party is at least partially responsible for luring so many rational voters over to the dark side on November 6.

11/10/2012 new

While some lower forms of animals undergo physical change, example a fish washed up to the shore, has to survive, must learn how to hop on the sands by using its fins to function as legs, transformed into another species and cannot go back to the sea to be a fish, this kind of transformation happened because of adaptation as every living creature has the ability to adapt to its environment. But man, though belonging to the animal kingdom, is a special kind of animal because of our souls that continues to live after death. Lower forms of animals also have souls but when their body dies, their souls die with their bodies - these are called vegetative souls. Also intelligence cannot be used as a destinctive point to distinguish man from apes, because science has found out that lower forms of animals can acquire intelligence by conditioning or training. What then are the reasons why there are individuals who become atheist by using the evolution theory as the reason?

11/10/2012 new

I'm a strong believer in evolution because I have relatives who resemble neanderthals. biggrin

Posts 1 - 10 of 58