Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

11/11/2012 new

What does everybody do for a car while the car is in the shop being fixed?

11/11/2012 new

(Quote) Debbie-443016 said: What does everybody do for a car while the car is in the shop being fixed?
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said:

--hide--
My back up vehicle is a 1997 Ford F150

11/11/2012 new

The major things were front and rear differential, front left axle, brake switch, fan clutch. The rest was your standard oil changes, filter replacements, brakes, tire rotations. Otherwise, the vehicle runs just fine.

Also keep in mind that these things are discovered during normal scheduled maintenance, and when dealing with supposedly reputable businesses (i.e., PepBoys, Goodyear, and a dealership), I tend to take their advice at face value, assuming they're the experts. PepBoys in particular took me into the garage to show me specific leaks and wear/tear.

I guess another good question is, how do I know these places aren't taking me for a ride (no pun intended)?

11/12/2012 new
(Quote) Carl-98335 said: The major things were front and rear differential, front left axle, brake switch, fan clutch. The rest was your ...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

The major things were front and rear differential, front left axle, brake switch, fan clutch. The rest was your standard oil changes, filter replacements, brakes, tire rotations. Otherwise, the vehicle runs just fine.

Also keep in mind that these things are discovered during normal scheduled maintenance, and when dealing with supposedly reputable businesses (i.e., PepBoys, Goodyear, and a dealership), I tend to take their advice at face value, assuming they're the experts. PepBoys in particular took me into the garage to show me specific leaks and wear/tear.

I guess another good question is, how do I know these places aren't taking me for a ride (no pun intended)?

--hide--

That's another can of worms! You must find a dependable independent mechanic whom you can trust. That is key. I've been lucky to only have 2 different mechanics over the last 30 years. Dealerships will clean out your checking account. I NEVER use them. Have a couple of good stories about why, but too long to go into here.
12/03/2012 new

I spent the better part of last night at a convenience store off I-20 in Aiken, SC, enroute back to Columbia. Ended up being towed to my residence, and today I'm waiting for another tow truck to pick it up and bring it to a repair shop. Lost power while on the highway after the battery light came on, but fortunately God allowed me to have enough power to get safely to the convenience store off the interstate. Looks like a bad alternator. Fortunately I have AAA Premier membership, so that came in handy. But now we're back to the question of how many more of these episodes have to occur before I look at investing in a new vehicle?

12/03/2012 new

Carl, sometimes it's just more ECONOMICAL to get rid of the old car, and just get a new/newer one.

12/03/2012 new

And so I'm thinking as well. I just finished getting the truck towed to the dealership, and while I was there, I looked into a new vehicle, only a quad cab instead of the extended one I have now. Total cost of a 2012 Chev Colorado quad cab, 4WD, to include some features that used to be optional but are now standard, is $27,500, not counting any trade-in value on the 2004.

I need to pray about this, but members' comments and advice are also welcome.

12/05/2012 new

Carl,

You have received some very good advice, especially with regard to comparing repair costs to car payment costs. However, there are other considerations. One, how much is your time worth? Hours or days spent due to break downs have an intrinsic cost that is hard to measure. Only you can place a value on your time. Two, how important is a reliable vehicle to you? Are there any situations with work or your personal life that would dictate you need a reliable vehicle? These might include the ability to report to work at a phone call, an elderly or terminally ill family member or friend, hobbies (hunting, fishing, camping) that take you to remote locations, or a local Cabela's with store only bargains. From your questions and seeking reassurrance on the best approach, I gather you are fairly conservative and not prone to impulse buying. The fact that you are very concerned about replacing your vehicle is a pretty good indication that it is time to buy something more reliable.

Good luck with your decision (buy Ford; just kidding) and don't second guess your decision, either way.

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: And so I'm thinking as well. I just finished getting the truck towed to the dealership, and whi...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

And so I'm thinking as well. I just finished getting the truck towed to the dealership, and while I was there, I looked into a new vehicle, only a quad cab instead of the extended one I have now. Total cost of a 2012 Chev Colorado quad cab, 4WD, to include some features that used to be optional but are now standard, is $27,500, not counting any trade-in value on the 2004.

I need to pray about this, but members' comments and advice are also welcome.

--hide--
Carl -- If you are seriously considering a new vehicle, you should be able to save some $$$ by ordering a report from Consumer's Reports. I think they're about $12-$15.00, but can save you a few thousand. They calculate dealer markups, incentives, and so on to derive at a dealer's true cost. Obviously, a dealer wants to make a profit, so something reasonable has to be added for that. Those reports have saved friends many $$$ on new cars. The last time a friend went to a dealer, armed with the Consumer Reports documents, the salesman offered the car at the suggested price on the report. The savings was about $3,000. Obviously not every situation will result in that amount of savings.CR reports are received promptly.

Another consideration is that this is December. It's typically regarded as the best time of year to buy a car, particularly if sales throughout the year have been sluggish. Sales people want to meet quotas, get bonuses, and so on. They're not going to give a vehicle away, but it's a good time for shopping.

Because of the sluggish new vehicle sales, the price of quality used vehicles has increased. At times, the difference between a new vehicle and one that is only a year or two old is negligible.

Lots to think about -- it's a big expense, no matter which way you go.

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Debbie-443016 said: What does everybody do for a car while the car is in the shop being fixed?
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said:

--hide--
Call your mother, your sister, your brother.....friends, neighbors....

or get a loaner or inexpensive rental car, unless you're on a good bus route.

Posts 11 - 20 of 64