Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 14th 2013 new

I did exactly that. I picked up a 2012 Chevy Colorado crew cab, 4WD. I added the 5-year, 100K warranty to it just because I could afford it, and it sounded like a good idea based on experience with the last truck.

Jan 18th 2013 new

I have a car question...

My dad bought me a 1989 Toyota Corolla back in 2008, for those first few years it was great, except for having to pump the gas pedal in the dead of winter to get the car to start. Currently, it is sitting in the driveway, undrivable because the brakes aren't working (there is brake fluid in the cyliner so the assumption is there is a block somewhere. Also, when I have just started the car (haven't noticed this when it has been running for awhile) and I start driving and when I come to a stop sign or stoplight and the car idles, it will turn off, meaning the engine will stop and I will have to put the car into park, turn the key to the off position and start the car again. This last one is very aggrivating. So, currently the car sits in the driveway until my dad gets around to getting the parts for the car.

Can anyone diagnose the problems, should I look into getting a different car or stick with this one (the mileage is under 180,000).

Sorry Carl for bumping into this thread, I am just looking for answers to my car woes

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I have a car question... My dad bought me a 1989 Toyota Corolla back in 2008, for those ...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I have a car question...

My dad bought me a 1989 Toyota Corolla back in 2008, for those first few years it was great, except for having to pump the gas pedal in the dead of winter to get the car to start. Currently, it is sitting in the driveway, undrivable because the brakes aren't working (there is brake fluid in the cyliner so the assumption is there is a block somewhere. Also, when I have just started the car (haven't noticed this when it has been running for awhile) and I start driving and when I come to a stop sign or stoplight and the car idles, it will turn off, meaning the engine will stop and I will have to put the car into park, turn the key to the off position and start the car again. This last one is very aggrivating. So, currently the car sits in the driveway until my dad gets around to getting the parts for the car.

Can anyone diagnose the problems, should I look into getting a different car or stick with this one (the mileage is under 180,000).

Sorry Carl for bumping into this thread, I am just looking for answers to my car woes

--hide--

Your idle issue is likely a simple fix, but could be a myriad of different things. Take it to a garage and get a computer diagnosis to pinpoint your specific problem. It could be something as simple as a dirty fuel filter to a bad ignition coil, and almost anything in-between.

theheart

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I'm in the same boat with my Toyota Tercel - over 200,000 miles and I've been spending ...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

I'm in the same boat with my Toyota Tercel - over 200,000 miles and I've been spending an average of $200 a month for the last 5 months. A friend told me it's cheaper than a car payment! But there is a lot of great advice in this thread that I hadn't considered. I think it's time I considered getting a different car. I just get nervous when thinking about buying a used car because I don't know much about cars and don't want to get stuck with a lemon. What's the best way to make sure this doesn't happen when buying a used car?

--hide--

Since i've been around the car business for 10+ years.. here are a couple of my suggestions which i considered when i bought my last car.. a 2008 toyota;
1. try and keep it only 2-3 years old with less than 40-50K miles-- this allows you to have some protection on the Engine and Transmission for a few mths or yrs IF you choose not to purchase that extended Warranty offered by the Dealer. Most manufacturers have a 5y or 60k mile Powertrain warranty on their cars...(a good source to find out about the Manufaturers warranty on the different model cars you're intereted in is Cars.com).

2. Have the dealer give you a free "CarFax" on the vehicle. This is one of the most important pieces of information that can affect the value of your car. It not only shows if the car has ever been involved in a "major" accident but often shows how many owners the car has been through, and also the if the vehicle has ever been serviced at any authorized Dealership. - why is this important..b/c most often the lower the # of owners and the longer they've kept it, the less likely the car has any major problems...not a guarantee but a general rule of thumb.

3. If you can purchase from a Franchise dealer.. ie nissan, toyota, honda, hyundai ..etc. Most franchise dealers have an experienced Service dept.,and put most used cars through a multi point inspection before putting it out for Sale. They can't risk putting something for sale that has major problems that will cause them negative publicity,, that being said..they also offer better "extended warranties"- which depending on the plan can be a worthwhile purchase.

4. If you decide to buy from a private owner..take the car together to the Franchise dealer for that make and ask them to somewhat full inspection- which of course you'll have to pay for. My opinion is that a honda mechanic at a honda dealer knows the car better than "bob" at the mechanic shop down street.

5. One last thing.. to get an idea what to pay for the car.. look on NADA.com. You have to go through a few steps and know a few things about the car you're interested in but it's a good tool and one that banks use in determining how much to loan.

Since a Car is the 2nd largest purchase for most people.. the more you know before you go into it,, the better and more satisfied purchase you're going to make. Good luck. crossfingers thumbsup

Posts 61 - 64 of 64