Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Y'all,

I have been... persuaded... to help chaperone a camping trip for a group of college-aged international students this weekend. The original planner has gotten overwhelmed, and so I'll be pitching in to 1) teach people how to build a proper fire and 2) help think of activities they can do while they're there. Unfortunately, with the time change and the schedule for traveling to the campsite, they will not have too many daylight hours the first day. Since it has been a rather long time since I was a Girl Scout, I'm reaching out to the broader community to help think of good campfire-type outdoor activities or dark/dusk-friendly games that have low risk of physical harm, don't require sophisticated language or puns, and are not likely to scandalize our students, who hail from a variety of cultures. I've got a slew of camp songs rattling around somewhere in my head, but I am guessing that they might be a little too juvenile for the students- after all, the original audience for most of them was elementary age.

So... any ideas? crossfingers

Nov 8th 2012 new
When my son was younger the campfires had after school stuff and the made hobo burgers using a pocket of aluminum foil over an open camp fire...they found that fun....
Nov 8th 2012 new
Maybe google the internet for getting-to-know you games? I imagine there will be several people who don't know each other, and you want people to have a low-stress, fun way to bond.

Sorry I can't be more help!
Nov 8th 2012 new

Pizza pockets, banana boats, charades, sparklers, a scavanger hunt, Frisbee or catch, hiking, baking muffins in a box oven.

You can make nature bracelets if you wrap duct tape sticky side out around your wrist and gather seeds, leaves, twigs, etc. to adorn it. Sand candles are fun and easy. Who doesn't like smores? Or for a treat get one of those balls you kick around to make ice cream. You have to keep it moving so it keeps everyone busy. They're a lot of fun.

It sounds like a blast. Wish I were going!

Nov 9th 2012 new

Don't forget smores and roasted marshmellows!!!

You could play flashlight tag. And eventhough they are older, they might enjoy hearing some of those campfire songs. Most of us grew up singing them and so they seem young and childish, but they didn't so they might find them silly and fun. And then maybe they could share some of their childhood songs even if they are in another language. A lot of laughter and fun can come from trying to sing in another language.

Nov 10th 2012 new
You may not have to plan too many activities. I haven't camped in a while, but as a kid I know just being around the campfire was fun. Toasting marshmallows on a stick was fun. Of course they'd need to be careful around the fire. As a kid we'd play "pass it on" where someone would whisper something in a persons to their left's ear and so on until they got all the way around, and when it did you'd find out how the message got mangled or lost in the translation. They're probably too mature for that kind of game. You could ask people to share something interesting that others might not know. Another icebreaker, if you have time ahead of time is to give a list of ten or so questions that people can answer if they like, for example, "if you could have one super power, what would it be and why?" Silly questions like that. It's fun. But most of the fun might come from just being relaxed around the campfire. Enjoy it. God bless.
Nov 11th 2012 new

Thanks, everyone!

I split everyone into random "work teams" and gave the teams different duties: fire building, food prep, cleanup, etc. and it worked pretty well for mixing the country groups up and keeping people occupied. Foil dinners were a hit, as were smores. Aside from that, cards and music (one guy even brought a bongo-type hand drum) and sneaking up on each other in the dark and screaming shocked were pretty popular activities. :) Before I headed home I left the gal in charge with some scary stories to read just in case.

All the students seemed to be having a pretty good time, and I hope our school decides to do this again next year. I love teaching people that giant log + lighter fluid does not equal a good fire! And I definitely love that the downed branches and debris in my yard went to a good use! My yard is so clean now...

Nov 11th 2012 new

You are a Texan cool , teach them firearm safety and give them a taste of what it is like to live in a free world, for the time being. laughing

Plus the fireballs from the end of an AR15 are mezmorizing at night. lovestruck!

Nov 11th 2012 new

Yes, I am talking about using silhouette or water bottles.

As long as they are safe it will be a memorable night.

Nov 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Daniel-892171 said: You are a Texan , teach them firearm safety and give them a taste of what it is like to live in ...
(Quote) Daniel-892171 said:

You are a Texan , teach them firearm safety and give them a taste of what it is like to live in a free world, for the time being.

Plus the fireballs from the end of an AR15 are mezmorizing at night.

--hide--

I would be rubbish at firearm safety, as the only thing I can think to say is "Don't touch it!" laughing Contrary to popular belief, we Texans do not ALL have guns. gangster (I kid you not, this is something we have to explain at the cultural orientation when fresh students arrive.) No one in my family ever had a gun until my parents bought some land outside the city and needed one to shoot the rattlesnakes they'd encounter.

I've heard Boy Scouts mention firearm experience, but when I was a Girl Scout, to the best of my knowledge, there was no Annie Oakley badge...

Posts 1 - 10 of 16