Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 11th 2012 new

Do you want to hear something funny...somone on the t.v. just got done saying that he might have resigned so he could tell the truth about what happened and said "the guy doesn't lie".....huh? Wasn't he having an affair????? Pretty sure he had to be lying to do that. Shees. rolling eyes rolling eyes

Nov 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Yes, I do think the resignation was appropriate. What bothers me is the public nature ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Yes, I do think the resignation was appropriate. What bothers me is the public nature of all this which is really hurtful to Holly Petraeus and likely to the husband of the woman he had an affair with. I just read a bit about all of them. Petraeus is 70, his wife is 60. The woman he had an affair with is 40, married with 2 young children (4 and 6), married to a radiologist, and is a doctoral candidate (hasn't finished dissertation yet, I think). So, this was adultery for both parties. Truly, I don't understand why a woman 40 years old with 2 young children, a good career, husband and home would do this. I do understand (but don't condone) why a 70 year old man would be tempted by a 40 year old woman. I feel sorry for the spouses of Petraeus and this woman. Oh, and the news said this affair starte July 2011. What a public mess!

--hide--

Minor point: he's 60, not 70.

Here's an interesting tidbit from an article on CNN.com:

The affair that brought an end to David Petraeus' tenure as CIA director came to light during an FBI investigation into a complaint that his biographer Paula Broadwell was sending harassing e-mails to another woman close to him, a U.S. official said Saturday.

www.cnn.com

Nov 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Do you want to hear something funny...somone on the t.v. just got done saying that he might have...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Do you want to hear something funny...somone on the t.v. just got done saying that he might have resigned so he could tell the truth about what happened and said "the guy doesn't lie".....huh? Wasn't he having an affair????? Pretty sure he had to be lying to do that. Shees.

--hide--

Not necessarily lying except to himself. It is possible to have an affair without ever lying to the spouse. You could argue he was living a lie and I can't argue with that. But it is not always necessary to lie to any person. At least for a while.

Nov 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: It's the CIA...the truth is probably far stranger than you ever can imagine.
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

It's the CIA...the truth is probably far stranger than you ever can imagine.

--hide--

Let me point out that Petraeus' affair would itself be a very valid reason for his removal from office. That, after all, is a major violation of national security that would leave a our intelligence community highly vulnerable.

That said, allow me to point out a bigger story here, that includes a few "I told you so" to certain CM'ers I debated a few months back. For one thing, Benghazi, where the Libyan rebellion began in 2011, was an area long known for Jihaddist militancy and a major center for Al Qaeda. A long running anti-Gaddafi group, the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) was headquartered there, and allied with Al Qaeda formally in 2007. They were a major source for terrorists in Iraq, second to Saudi Arabia in home nation for foriegn fighters there, as the report from West Point notes.

Benghazi was an Al Qaeda stronghold and longtime source of rebellion in Libya, so Gadaffi was quite correct in claiming that the source of the rebellion that overthrew him was Islamic terrorists. Obama's illegal intervention in Libya snatched victory from the jaws of defeat for the rebels there.

www.washingtonsblog.com

www.scribd.com

www.telegraph.co.uk

Nov 11th 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: There is a lot of speculation going on here with very little in the way of facts. I strongly suspe...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

There is a lot of speculation going on here with very little in the way of facts. I strongly suspect that if the sitting president weren't so thorougly disliked hereabouts, there would be a lot less suspicion.

It is entirely possible, perhaps even probable, that we aren't hearing the whole story. But that doesn't mean it's time to start hatching conspiracy theories. There needs to be much more evidence on the table for that to become credible.

Petraeus was head of the CIA, and there are all kinds of embarrassing things that, while not illegal, can cost you a security clearance. Can't really function in an intelligence organization without one. He may well be stepping down rather than having something like that play out in public.

Just something to think about.

--hide--

Well said John, and very thoughtful. thumbsup

Nov 11th 2012 new

I wonder whether the Benghazi attack was meant to be some sort of October Surprise. Heh, Obama killed Osama...sure....hard to believe any of these fairy tales anymore.

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Let me point out that Petraeus' affair would itself be a very vali...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Let me point out that Petraeus' affair would itself be a very valid reason for his removal from office. That, after all, is a major violation of national security that would leave a our intelligence community highly vulnerable.

That said, allow me to point out a bigger story here, that includes a few "I told you so" to certain CM'ers I debated a few months back. For one thing, Benghazi, where the Libyan rebellion began in 2011, was an area long known for Jihaddist militancy and a major center for Al Qaeda. A long running anti-Gaddafi group, the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) was headquartered there, and allied with Al Qaeda formally in 2007. They were a major source for terrorists in Iraq, second to Saudi Arabia in home nation for foriegn fighters there, as the report from West Point notes.

Benghazi was an Al Qaeda stronghold and longtime source of rebellion in Libya, so Gadaffi was quite correct in claiming that the source of the rebellion that overthrew him was Islamic terrorists. Obama's illegal intervention in Libya snatched victory from the jaws of defeat for the rebels there.

www.washingtonsblog.com

www.scribd.com

www.telegraph.co.uk

--hide--

Nov 11th 2012 new

But Bill Clinton had an extra martial affair and STAYED in office. Why would Petraeous leave just before he was schedule to testify on the embassy bombing in Libya. It seems that he can still testify so we can know how this happened and also how to prevent another similar incident.

Nov 11th 2012 new

Although this is all speculation...Petraeus is known as being a man of honor (affair or not), so it seems plausible that if the White House told him to tow the party line or be outed, Petraeus would have refused to play along. I think we will find out in the end. Those great patriots in the House are not going to let this go unanswered along with all the other cover ups associated with Benghazi.

- Elizabeth

Nov 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: Although this is all speculation...Petraeus is known as being a man of honor (affair or not),...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Although this is all speculation...Petraeus is known as being a man of honor (affair or not), so it seems plausible that if the White House told him to tow the party line or be outed, Petraeus would have refused to play along. I think we will find out in the end. Those great patriots in the House are not going to let this go unanswered along with all the other cover ups associated with Benghazi.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

I just turned on the Sunday morning news shows, and in less than 10 minutes, I heard 3 different political people state that Petraeus' actions in resigning were honorable. NO, they were appropriate - not honorable. And, his actions in having an extra-marital affair were not honorable (which absolutely NO ONE is saying). Yes, he is a hero for so much that he did in his career. But, he should NOT be seen as honorable for resigning because he had an affair. If a woman did the same thing, do you think that politicians (mostly men) would be saying that she was honorable to resign - hah- I certainly doubt it (and they shouldn't say she was honorable). If one more person says his resigning was honorable, I'm going to scream (and that would certainly make my hi-rise neighbors wonder)!boggled faint

Nov 11th 2012 new

Petraeus may go, but the flights will continue...haha

Posts 21 - 30 of 124